Elk Recipes

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 08:18 pm
My father recently went elk hunting and came back with about 400 lbs. of meat, some of which has made it to my freezer. I am looking forward to trying it, as I have never had elk before, the problem is that I have no idea what would be the best way to prepare it. Does anyone have any good recipes? I would like to have at least a couple of different ideas...anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,578 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Riversidegirl

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:41 pm
@Aldistar,
hello
my husband is an avid hunter and we too have an elk to enjoy this year...I usually treat the elk as if it were beef although it is a 1000 times better in our books...I find that if I use red wine and a lot of garlic in my recipes, be it stew or meat balls it brings out the flavour really well, I like to marinate the steaks as well in soy sauce or Bragg , lots of garlic, a bit of lime juice and a touch of maple syrup. For a less tender cut of roast or stew just get out your crock pot and an envelope of Onion Soup mix ,sprinkle it over add a bit of water and/or red wine lots of onions and fresh garlic turn it on low for the day, thicken it at the end and yum over mashed potatoes! Enjoy!........Riverside girl
Aldistar

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:09 pm
@Riversidegirl,
Thank you! We did use the crockpot and it came out very nice.
0 Replies