Ghost-busters called to newly opened hospital

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:09 am
Derby was recently named the most haunted place in Britain, with more reports of ghosts, poltergeists, werewolves and other supernatural phenomena than anywhere else in the UK.

And now the city is claiming yet another ghostly sighting.

Bosses at the new Royal Derby Hospital are calling in an exorcist after complaints by staff of a creepy cloaked figure stalking the wards and corridors.

The Sun (a tabloid) has blacked out its front page today for this very important exclusive.

According to the report, an exorcist has been called in to deal with the problem. Debbie Butler, a senior manager at the hospital, wrote to staff: "I'm not sure how many of you are aware that some members of staff have reported seeing a ghost ...I don't want to scare anyone anymore than necessary but felt it was best I made you all aware of the situation and what we are doing about it. "I've spoken to the Trust's chaplain and she is going to arrange for someone from the cathedral to exorcise the department." "Experts" have said the spirit could be the ghost of a Roman soldier killed on the spot where the original hospital was built.

The Sun: Haunted hospita calls in exorcist

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 5,289 • Replies: 40
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This is where Mo could get a job when he finishes school.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:30 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Is he a good exorcist ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:31 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Is he a good exorcist ?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:32 am
The hospital is build over historical sites one of Britain’s Ancient Roman roads. Spook experts believe the unwelcome guest is probably a Roman soldier. Guess the priest should be performing the exorcism in Latin.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:34 am
Is this racial discrimination ?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:56 am
Maybe the ghost is just sick and looking for medical attention. Why the exorcism? Take his vital signs and give him a prescription.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:23 am
Well, if The Sun thinks it's important, the situation must be critical . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:27 am
Roman soldiers did not wear cloaks reaching from head to foot, and Roman soldiers did not wear black. Vivid imagination strikes again.
saab

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:39 am
@Setanta,
Roman soldiers in GB maybe did - more rain and colder than in Rome.
boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:19 am
@jespah,
Quote:

I was thinking the exact same thing!

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:24 am
@boomerang,
David - Mo love, love, loves Ghostbusters.

I see a future career in the making.
Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:32 am
@saab,
Got a source for that? In fact, the climate 2000 years ago was so significantly warmer than it is now that the Romans were able to grow vinifera grapes there, and archaeological digs have found pollen and the remains of birds and insects whose contemporary northern range is now hundreds of miles to the south. Quite apart from that, there is no evidence with which i am familiar that the legions had uniforms any different from the standard for any particular province. In effect, your supposition constitutes an extraordinary claim, if you insist upon it; which would mean you would be obliged to prove it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:39 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

David - Mo love, love, loves Ghostbusters.

I see a future career in the making.

I see.
Is that like racial harassment? `against ghosts ?
saab

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:12 am
@Setanta,
I know the climate was different in those days.
I am not going to insist on anything nor does my supposition constitutes an extraordinary claim, it was more or less ment as a joke. No reason to get upset

Even if he got that wrap a few centuries later I don´t think the ghost needs it - guess they neither freeze nor sweat.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:16 am
@Setanta,
Here is the soldier and you can judge for yourself why people think he looks like a Roman soldier. I am not trying to prove anything except what the people who have seen it thinks.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2189230.ece

NickFun

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's just the Grim Reaper. He always hangs out at new hospitals until he gets to know his way around.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:54 am
@saab,
First, i'm not upset. This isn't that important. Second, this is allegedly a knowledge site, so pointing out that i don't know Roman soldiers ever to have worn a cape from head to foot, and that i don't know Roman soldiers ever to have worn black, is sharing knowledge. Although I can't claim to be one of the world's greatest authorities on the Roman Empire, i am extremely well-informed on the subject.

Third, no that isn't an image of the "soldier." First because we don't know that any such "ghost" actually exists (see below). Second because we don't know that if there were a ghost, that calling that ghost a soldier is correct (see below). Last, the image you present i already saw when i followed Walter's link, and it clearly states "artist's impression," so there is no reason for you to say "here is the soldier."

Most important (and this is why i twice wrote "see below"), this is The Sun for god's sake; it's a tabloid, and it aspires to be England's trashiest newspaper. Do you really think you're on solid ground to use it as a source for what the "soldier" looks like?
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:08 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Most important (and this is why i twice wrote "see below"), this is The Sun for god's sake; it's a tabloid, and it aspires to be England's trashiest newspaper.
Its not the worst. They run stories like this to try and cheer everyone up amid the financial doom and gloom. Expect more of the same. There are no ghosts in Derby, Roman or otherwise, except perhaps of a half decent football team of the 1970's. Sorry to disappoint.

(The hospital manager who apparently took this seriously shows gross lack of professionalism and should be sacked. And the priest for good measure.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:19 pm
That's right . . . y'all have an established church . . . so you really can fire your priests? Coo-L ! ! !