Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:15 pm
Read some years ago,I thought that this gymnast was not born in Romania, but Moldovia ,and that her real surname was not Comaneci,but something similar to Kempess???I believe this information came from THE BOOK OF LISTS. Is there anyone out there can who can put me on the right track, because I am unable to verify this ,even using GOOGLE .My colleagues at work, who are into all sorts of Trivia and Quizes, think I have made it up.

DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:18 pm
@welshflannel,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadia_Com%C4%83neci

Quote:
Comaneci was born in Gheorghe Gheorghiu-Dej (now Oneşti), Romania, as the daughter of Gheorghe and Ştefania-Alexandrina.[4][5] Her pregnant mother was watching a Russian film in which the heroine of the story's name was Nadya, the diminutive version of the Russian name Nadyezhda (which means, literally, "Hope"). She decided that her daughter would be named Nadia, too. Comaneci also has a younger brother named Adrian.[6]
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:30 pm
@welshflannel,
Try Googling Nadia Comaneci Moldava and you'll get hundreds of hits that confirm she was born in Moldava.

You were incorrectly spellng Moldava so that may be part of your Google search problem.

I'll leave it to you to read through all the articles to see if her maiden name is mentioned.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Nadia+Comaneci+Moldova&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:48 pm
Sometimes people want to help, but they don't.

Comaneci was born in Onesti in the Rumanian province of Moldava, in the geographical region of Moldavia.

Moldavia and Moldava are not supposed to be confused with Moldova, the former Soviet republic, now independent.

Moldavia accounts for 90.5% of Moldova's surface, 19.5% of Romania's surface, and 3.5% of Ukraine's surface.

Again, Comaneci was born in the Romanian side, and she always acknowledged her Moldavan (and Moldavian but not Moldovan) heritage.

Moldava is not to be confused with Moldova, but the names are sure tricky.
0 Replies