Electric Vehicle: 220 mile range, 10 minute recharge

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 12:16 pm
Plus, it's f'in AWEWOME!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/27/shelbys-amazing-aero-ev-0-to-60-in-2-5-seconds-10-minute-rech/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,048 • Replies: 17
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 02:22 pm
@DrewDad,
And itll only cost 250000$
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 03:04 pm
Undoubtedly the technology will be used in more affordable vehicles soon. 220 miles would get you across most US deserts!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 03:33 pm
The 10 minute recharge was what got me.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:20 pm
The Japanese are working on a mostly-solar powered car. Imagine that -- never fill up again!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:28 pm
Good concept. Now let's see what happens when you bypass a circuit breaker to get enough juice flowing to charge a battery that will get you 220 miles, with top speeds of 208 mph - in 10 minutes.

Not knocking it; it's a darn good start, but there's still a couple of speedbumps on the way.
0 Replies

Deckland

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:31 pm
Quote:
the 150-220 mile battery can be refilled in just 10 minutes

I wonder if it's an electrolyte change. Drain the old stuff and refill with new stuff. 10 minutes ? Note, they say "refill" the battery, not charge the battery.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:39 pm
If I could afford it, I'd go for it. My car doesn't get enough use to keep the battery charged. Just had to call road service this afternoon to have the battery replaced. It wouldn't hold a charge for more than 4 days.

If I had an electric vehicle, I'd keep the battery hooked up to a solar recharger between uses.

If I can do it on the cheap I may try the solar recharging on the battery of my gas guzzler.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 11:14 pm
The thing I hate most about this car is how much I love it...
K
O
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:57 am
Chrysler appears to want to get into the game, albeit on our collective dime.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 04:46 am
I bought a Ford Escape Hybrid when gas was at 4$ this summer. Its a neat little SUV with a nice little 30+ mpg at normal use. However, when we use the AC or the heater, the fuel use drops to about 27 mpg. Accessories will reduce the range of these cars also. I like the Jeep EV most. It makes sense in the way I drive.
I dont need a 0-60 at 2.5 sec vehicle any longer . I will kill some AMishman in his buggy as I go rocketing along on our farm lanes.
When they make a Pickemup truck EV, I am so there.
patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:47 am
@farmerman,
That reminds me -- the other day I was wondering how heating works in a hybrid, if the engine's only running intermittently. Electrical heating? Surely it doesn't just fire up the internal combustion engine just to get the heat going, does it?
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 09:26 am
@patiodog,
Thats the dirty secret with hybrids. The gas mileage is really bad in very cold or very warm wather because the heater and the AC need the engine on and since they are thermostatically controlled, the engo=ine is drafted into labor.
An ALL electric car is gonna be a bitch in the tropics or the Arctic. A separate propane AC or Heting system would need to be added so that the engine doesnt flag out at 100 miles into its range.
patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:26 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, I'm not surprised. I hadn't thought about it before, though, until the other day when it was 2 degrees and I was driving behind a Prius thinking -- Is that guy freezing his ass off in there, or what?

As far as AC goes, I rarely use it, even in extreme heat. I know it's worse for mileage, but damn it, I like the windows down, and I hate refrigerated air. Feels unhealthy somehow.
dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:53 am
"They" are making noise anout the Mitsubishi's i MiEV over here. Commuter subcompact, 47 kw motor, range of about 160 km, recharge in a regular power point = 8hrs (hmmmm?) or dedicated high voltage outlet 20 mins.
roughly AUD $30,000.

Not in the same class (or street even) as the link above but.

I wannn know whats gonna happen when the battery wont accept a full charge any more like my cordless drill.

roger

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:06 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

As far as AC goes, I rarely use it, even in extreme heat. I know it's worse for mileage, but damn it, I like the windows down, and I hate refrigerated air. Feels unhealthy somehow.

Either Consumer Reports, or AAA tested that concept and decided it was a myth. Who knows, maybe air conditioners are less efficient nowadays.
roger

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:07 am
@dadpad,
I think that may be another dirty little secret.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:22 am
@roger,
Quote:
Either Consumer Reports, or AAA tested that concept and decided it was a myth. Who knows, maybe air conditioners are less efficient nowadays.

The impression I'd got, and this --

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/20050804a1.asp

-- bears it out, is that you're better off at freeway speeds with the windows up and AC on. Or, even better, with the AC off...

As to the batteries -- it's a worry, isn't it? I'm waiting to see that myself for the hybrids, and to see if there's enough supply available when people start having to replace them. And I wonder about the environmental impact of processing (though surely people won't just throw them out, like they do with toxic gadget batteries)...
0 Replies