Starting Over: I Want To Wipe My Hard Drive Out

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:18 am
Ok, so I've tried everything and I still can't find where the damn problem is on my computer.

It's worthless to me right now because I don't have enough memory free to do anything with so I am ready to just start from scratch.

I did a system recovery and it said in black and white that that was suppose to bring my computer to "factory settings". I assumed it would removed everything except what came with the computer. I was wrong. It kept a bunch of stuff.

There is obviously something hiding somewhere.

So how do I do this? How can I get it so that all that is on my computer is the OS?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 978 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:28 am
Oh and I did the system recovery without the disk. There was this lovely F11 function on my computer that was suppose to allow me to do it with out the disks. Is there a difference? Could this be why it only took partially? I do have back up disks for the system recovery.
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:31 am
@Bella Dea,
Oh and on top of it all, I don't have the Windows XP disk because I had the store do it before giving it to me. So, what do I do now?
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:33 am
Here is an article I found...is this valid stuff?
Quote:

Backup Data
I had about two years of unreplaceable data on this PC which had never been backed up. I moved it all to a shared folder on a networked PC (other flavors include USB thumb drives, your iPod, or just burn it to a CD or DVD). Of course, it wasn’t that simple, I had to go through all the files and determine what I needed and what I didn’t. One important item was backing up my iTunes Music Library.
Audit Your Existing Setup
I went through a long period where I would install just about anything, and I had no idea what I needed and what I didn’t. I used Belarc Personal PC Audit to print out everything installed and a bunch of other details. It’s worth holding onto.
Install and Reformat
This part was easy. I popped in the Windows CD (I was installing Windows XP Pro) and rebooted the computer. The install is a long, drawn out process, just make sure you tell it “New install, please wipe out and erase my hard drive.” It helps to be polite.
Secret Sauce = Partitioning
I wanted my computer to stay clean, but I didn’t want to have to keep going through this process; enter partitions. If you’re reading this you probably know more about partitions than me, but for everyone else, a partition lets you divide the space on your hard drive up into more hard drives. I divided my hard drive roughly in equal halves. The first half is for installing Windows and all my programs. The second half is to hold my data (that stuff I just backed up). I also created a tiny partition to backup some of my wife’s work on, but I haven’t used that yet.
Format Partitions
The first thing I noticed once I finished installing Windows is that the non-system partitions were unformatted (basically unusable). Formatting was as simple as right-clicking the partition in My Computer and choosing Format… Plus, you get to give the partition a cool label like “Data”.
Tweaking Windows
After that was done, I set about personalizing everything. Luckily, someone already documented most of the great ways to tweak Windows. The most important tweak in the list is to move the location of My Documents (See previous link under Set the Location of My Documents). I put it on that partition we made like this, D:\Documents. This is probably the best thing I did, because almost all programs default you here to save files. Now, when you get defaulted to My Documents, you are exactly where you want to be. Case in point, remember when we backed up our iTunes library above. Its default location is under the My Documents folder (exactly where I want it).
Drivers and Stuff
I installed the software drivers for my two printers and my graphics card at this point (those were the only drivers I needed). You might as well set your monitor resolutiion too. I went with 1280 x 960
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:34 am
Oh and is Vista worth it now?

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:36 am
You need to do a system restore. That will rewrite your hard drive to the original settings and programs. Plan on spending a day or more updating your OS if you're running Windows XP.
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:39 am
@InfraBlue,
I already did a system restore and it didn't take everything off.

It took all my icons off, put back some of the original stuff but didn't take some programs. Like my Photoshop is still on there.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:57 am
Since I have the recovery disks, that would contain my OS, right?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 11:02 am
Where are all our computer gurus?

Drew Dad?

Robert?

Anyone??????
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 11:42 am
System Restore is aimed at fixing problems that arise from configuration changes and software installed, it does not remove all the files you may have collected.

On your other thread, I posted a free tool (WinDirStat) that you can download and run, and it will tell you what folders are using how much space. Using this, you can identify what you can afford to clean up, and if you need any help spotting what may be unusual, you can post the top directories in size and I can help with recommendations.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 11:43 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh and on top of it all, I don't have the Windows XP disk because I had the store do it before giving it to me. So, what do I do now?

If you don't have access to a legitimate version of Windows you need to make sure not to break the one you have installed, or it can be a big pain.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 11:44 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
Here is an article I found...is this valid stuff?

It's pretty much the process for formatting your computer and getting a fresh start. But you need install media (e.g. a Windows Installation Disc) to do this.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 11:47 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh and is Vista worth it now?

I think Vista is the best operating system Microsoft has made, but I don't think it's worth paying money for just to upgrade the OS. If I were buying a new computer I'd want it to come with it, but Vista isn't worth paying the full price for on most older machines and Windows 7 (the next Windows) seems to be a pretty big advance in usability and should be coming out within a year or so.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 01:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I am going to do that tonight Robert.

I have no idea what I can and cannot get rid of so your help will be very appreciated!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 01:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Arg! Damn them for doing it!!!!! Now i don't have a copy!!!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 02:04 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
I do have back up disks for the system recovery.

I think this is what you need to do, if you really want to wipe and start fresh.

I would be very careful and read the instructions before doing anything. If it states, for example, that you will need to insert your Windows media, then you should not do it.

Can you give us the make and model?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 02:57 pm
hp pavilion laptop
i know it's a dv8000 but I don't know if it's 8000 8100 or what. So i'll have to get back with ya on that one.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 05:24 pm
@Bella Dea,
OK, reading up on the procedure, it looks like you performed a "non-destructive" recovery.

To perform a destructive recovery, you need to choose an Advanced recovery.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/hprecovery.htm
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:55 am
Well, I did a "destructive recovery" and wiped everything clean, except my OS and the apps that came the day I got my computer.

It seems to be running more smoothly and I have 50Gb of free space now, after re-installing my programs.

We'll see how it goes. Thanks all!!!
0 Replies