HS Basketball team slaughter 100 – 0

George

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 08:47 am
@BigTexN,
Why did the losing team schedule this in the first place?
Same reason they scheduled all their other games.

Why didn't the losing team forfeit at the half?
Because they wanted to play.

With a 4 year losing streak, why does the losing coach still have his job? He obviously isn't teaching basketball...what is he doing during practice?
20 girls in the school; 8 on the team. Do the math.

How does the winning coach FORCE his girls to stop trying? He tried making them only shoot long shots but everyone faults him for that... Should he have played with 2 players to their 8? Should his team have handed the ball back to the other team whenever they took it?
He should not force his girls to stop trying.

How does a school hire a coach to bring their team up from 2-19 to a state championship contender and fire him for winning?
I don't believe they fired him for winning. But I don't believe they should
have fired him at all.

0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:14 am
@BigTexN,
Quote:
. . . and only shoot the low percentage 3-pointers . . .

You make an excellent point here. Sorry not to have acknowledged it.
sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:17 am
@George,
Where is this from, though?

I saw that they continued to shoot 3-pointers, but not that they were told to ONLY shoot 3-pointers. (May be true, I just haven't seen it anywhere except in BigTexN's post.)
0 Replies

BigTexN

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:25 am
@George,
Re: George
False -- close, but false. Lost to Yavneh 55-6, to Fairhill 49-7

Wow George, I said by 50pt margins and you nickel and dimed me?

As far as 98-2 is concerned, I suppose that the winning team could have walked the losing team down the court and showed them how to shoot a basket...but would that be just as patronizing, shameful and embarassing to the losing students?

Concerning slowing down when they were approaching 100...it was 59-0 at the half...a halftime that the losing coach chose not to forfiet in. They shot only eight 3-point baskets in the 15 minute 3rd quarter and four in the 15 minute 4th quarter...that's a basket every 2.5 minutes in the second half! Try dribbling a ball for 2.5 minutes with lots of people watching and you'll see that is an eternity during a game.

I don't see how that's " rubbing their noses in it"?
sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:31 am
@BigTexN,
What, you think they made every shot they put up?

I played basketball at this level and a 12-point quarter was not at all unusual, especially for the last quarter -- there was a lot of scrambling around and botched attempts, though, not just calmly dribbling and then launching a 3 at the last moment.

(By the way, 29 is not divisible by three -- when do you think the coach told them to only take 3-point shots?)
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 10:37 am
@BigTexN,
Quote:
False -- close, but false. Lost to Yavneh 55-6, to Fairhill 49-7

Wow George, I said by 50pt margins and you nickel and dimed me?

Yup. Deal with it.

Quote:
As far as 98-2 is concerned, I suppose that the winning team could have walked the losing team down the court and showed them how to shoot a basket...but would that be just as patronizing, shameful and embarassing to the losing students?

Total nonsense and not relevant to anything.

Quote:
Concerning slowing down when they were approaching 100...it was 59-0 at the half...a halftime that the losing coach chose not to forfiet in. They shot only eight 3-point baskets in the 15 minute 3rd quarter and four in the 15 minute 4th quarter...that's a basket every 2.5 minutes in the second half! Try dribbling a ball for 2.5 minutes with lots of people watching and you'll see that is an eternity during a game.

Intesting observation, but relevant to what?

Quote:
I don't see how that's " rubbing their noses in it"?

At some point a decision was made to go for a 100 to zero score.
That was showboating. That was rubbing their noses in it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 10:39 am
@George,
"Showboating" is a good word for what they did to a known losing team.
0 Replies