CONVERTING MY HOUSE HEATING TO GAS__Good or Bad idea?

JTT

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 02:50 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I have an oil hot water system and a "summer/winter hookup" which is a separate boiler that heats (and then keeps water hot by the oil burner).

Are you saying that you have two boilers, one for heat and one for heating water and that in the winter one boiler does both function but that in the summer, a different/smaller boiler takes over to only supply hot water?

Quote:
Ive gotten a price to uninstall the oil and put in a gas burner into my present boiler(boiler is a 7 unit system cause we have 5 zones).

What do you mean by 7 unit? The boiler only has one firing zone but the hot water produce is sent out to 5 zones thru a manifold/zone valve system?
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 05:12 pm
JTT, by UNITS I mean the separate cast metal exchange units in the firebox. The system is a newer Weil Mclain "Gold" (with a german burner cause Weil McLain was having trouble with their made burners in 1999 when this was installed) They are specked by the volumetric space that is to be heated. (We have about 4K + sq ft with 10 rooms at 8 ft and 1 large room with a 20 ft ceiling. A zone is the separate heating task. A zone contains its own thermostat and circulator pump. We have 2.5 baths and a kitchen and laundry with hot water. These are t]served by the separate boiler. (BY boiler we mean a unit . However, all the units are heated by a single firebox and a single oil aspirator and "afterburner"

We burn 0.78 gal/hr for our house on a cold winter day kept at 72. We usually keep it at 68 at night (programmable thermostats) in the main rooms and 65 in the other rooms (Unless they are being used.
Ragman

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 05:57 pm
@farmerman,
glen falls as slightly more severe than where I am...somewhere between your typical extreme winter and summer temps and Glen Falls extremes.
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
That's interesting, FM. I've never heard of that type of system. Does the firebox/burner move to heat the cast metal exchange unit if only one zone demands heat?

If it was installed in '99, it must have a pretty decent efficiency rating.

Is your concern over standby losses only for the summer/non-heating season or year round? What's the lowest set temperature that the h2o heater can be set to deliver?
0 Replies

TimeTravel

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
I am in Maine and to be quite Frank most of us live on an annual income of less than that quote, in little mobile homes with a miller gun and a wood stove. My dad was a land lord though and he would never pay $8500 unless the entire furnace was being replaced, the entire system, with money left over for a new roof. Are they charging 100 dollars an hour to bury a continuous copper tube, or what. I just bought my girlfriend a tankless on-line water heater and it was cheap. We have a gas water heater here and it was cheap, and its big. I think you must look rich, so the vultures are circling you. Get up and jump around a little and get some alternate bids. If they have on a uniform they are charging double. What does reputable mean, does their Van sparkle and they charge triple because their boots are polished? Find someone with a reputation with lower middle class welders or carpenters, not with wealthy home owners. $8500 dollars for a hot water supply and fuel line and tank .. Rubbish ! We got our tank for free just because the supplier wants to sell us the gas.
farmerman

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 07:57 pm
@TimeTravel ,
I own some property (a camp) near Eastport maine and weve got another mmber from Blue Hill. Ive found that most contractors in Maine do really shitty work. Ive had work done and found it to be mostly substandard to what were used to down here.
We have to pay more but I know many people in the Eastport area whove moved up rom the mid Atlantic just to get screwed by some poor shoddy workmanship. So I guess you get what you pay for

I put in the entire new gas system and it cost me 15K for the tank (buried with a radio sonde to measure fullness. The buried lines arent ever copper (Whoever buries copper should be arrested since copper will "orange peel" and then leak in basic or acidic soils)
Weve got 2 rinnai tankless water heaters and weve saved lotsa dough since the installation Propane and gas are going down ever since US became a net exporter of petrol and gas.

I What part of Maine are you from?
jespah

Wed 16 Jan, 2013 06:01 am
@farmerman,
Hiya, just saw this topic. My folks are considering the switch. How do you like it so far?
farmerman

Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:12 pm
@jespah,

1good clean and moist heat

2cheap and gettin cheaper

3my wife worries about explosions but I just get her drunk alot
0 Replies