Should I risk entering the paving industry?

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:51 pm
I was thinking of going in to the paving industry. I have connections to many contracters in my community and the idea is to find a paving company to hire out for jobs with myself as the middleman and taking fifty percent of the profit for a job. To properly evalute if this is feasable and if it is truly worth my time and work I need to know and understand a little bit about the paving business.(By paving I am referring to both blacktop or tar and cement.) 1)What are the typical pricings for such a business. How much for a square inch etc... 2)What is the basic profit margin a company makes in such a business (I must determine if there is enough profit to split with them and still be worth it) 2)what are the basic costs associated with such jobs. supplies workers etc...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,467 • Replies: 2
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:57 pm
so all you're planning on doing is getting a company together with someone who wants to use them for a job, they do all the work, and you expect half the profit? I really think you're dreaming. In the entertainment biz, an agent gets fifteen percent, and there are a lot of people who think that's extortionate. And you don't know anything about the business? (by the way, I really doubt anybody charges by the square inch--"I'd like four square inches of blacktop, right here in the middle of the yard, yes, right there, under that rosebush".)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:00 pm
@MontereyJack,
And will you absorb all the insurance costs for these contractors? Equipment costs? Do you know anything about paving?

Ah, I'll just give a quick NO.
0 Replies