For some people, there is no Winter

jespah

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:29 pm
I swear, some people don't feel the cold. At all.

It's been about 35 (all temps are Farenheit) at the highest, around here, for weeks. We've had really frigid days and are about to have more of them later this week. Today I think it didn't get over 31 and about the same was true for much of the past week.

Yet last week, while going to or leaving from work, I saw the following sites:
  • a gal in slippers waiting to cross the street by the Freedom Trail. She was carrying a briefcase and clearly going to work. Did she just get up and, I dunno, forget it was cold outside? And then forget to go back in her home and change? Her socks were bright green; you could see them at the back.
  • two dudes in shirtsleeves, no hats, walking and chatting leisurely, right near where I get the bus to go home. The coffee shop (their probable destination) was several doors down. But they were gabbing and meandering as if it was April.
  • a very tall, Nordic-looking woman on my bus wearing a short skirt, no hat, and no socks or pantyhose of any sort. Okay, when it got to be 17 in the mornings, she made a concession to the season. She put on sheer pantyhose. She also walks around with wet hair every single morning.
  • a guy, probably barely out of his teens, waiting for the bus to go home, who wears nothing more than a tee shirt unless it's really cold. Then he puts on a sweatshirt.

Now, I recognize that internal temperature sensitivities differ. Plus people may be wearing incredible long underwear although Miss Scandinavia 1967 clearly was not. So, um, why is it that when there's ice on the ground, and most sane people can agree that it's cold outside, some people are, what? Immune? Internally heated by the certainty that they are going to hell (and thereby getting used to the experience)? Dumb? Nuts? Not of this planet?

All speculations welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 3,321 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:33 pm
@jespah,
It's Boston! Lot of students, for one thing so common sense goes out the window. After all, you WERE near the Common, right? Laughing

I moved from Beantown and now live in upstate NY..near Albany. I see a lot less of that mishigas up here, though it's not rare.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:34 pm
@jespah,
rofl. i remembr seeing this girl at the bus stop, tank top, and short short skirt.

it was snowing.

i was like arent you cold?

she said , hey its a sacrifice.

i think she was a hooker
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:35 pm
@OGIONIK,
even me, im skinny as ****, i walk around in the winter with tank tops. m friend are liek dude ur gonna ******* DIE.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:37 pm
@jespah,
The gal with the slippers was "saving" her heels for work...and making it comfy for her to walk the short distance to her job? How's that for fishing in the dark?
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:38 pm
@Ragman,
i think you brought a flashlight
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:41 pm
I generate what i have come to recognize is an incredible amount of body heat. If the temperature is within ten degrees of freezing (meaning if it is no more than ten degrees below), a 40 minute walk with the dogs--wearing jeans, a tee shirt, and an overcoat--will leave me overheated and sweating. I walk around the house in my bare feet, and if i have to take something out to a trash can, something like that where i won't be staying outside, i don't put shoes on. I cannot abide down-filled coats or polar fleece--i just roast with those.

I don't enjoy the cold, nor winter, but i don't physically suffer from it, either.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:43 pm
@Setanta,
my metabolism is helal high, i think thats what ur talkin bout setanta.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:47 pm
@Setanta,
Ditto on that. I don't wear socks around the house unless it's below 65 deg inside. Outside, if it's above 25 deg F, for a short 5 -10 mins (active) jaunt with the dogs , I often don't go out with a coat..and sometimes have on a short sleeve t-shirt. Sometimes I wear gloves if I'm handling firewood to carry.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:57 pm
@Setanta,
So we can blame you for Global Warming, Set?

Man, I mean, ice on the ground! Drifts! You can see your breath!

At 40 - 50, I can see where there's divergence and some people feel okay and others are cold. But below the freezing point of water? Eek!
Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:59 pm
@jespah,
Sure, i don't care.

If there is ice or snow on the ground, i won't be outside in my bare feet for more than five minutes.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:05 pm
I sometimes take a short walk outside in shirt sleeves so that it will feel much warmer inside where I keep the heat turned down to 60.

It probably looks just as strange to people, but it works.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:54 pm
Nobody has yet mentioned the aliens among us who actually walk around in this weather wearing shorts! I have seen several in my neighborhood on days when I've spent much of the morning in search of that clean pair of long johns.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 08:53 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I've been working in my garage. Right now it is about 32, whereas a couple of weeks ago it was in or near the teens at night. I've just got on jeans and a sweater and loafers without socks, but I keep moving around. I'm putting my irrigation fittings and risers (irrigation is so sexy, ya know) all into one storage container, probably to sell. Anyway, I'm not cold, but I keep coming into the warm house to find other little containers to separate the sprayheads from the stream bubblers, blah, blah. (I shudda left it all in california.)

I almost don't mind cold cold, at least for a while, like going to the mailbox a couple of hundred feet away, so much as shivery cold in the house. Weird, I'm more of a baby when it is low sixties in the house.

I was much more tolerant of both heat and cold as a kid..
oh, well.
Sglass

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:00 pm
@ossobuco,
its winter on the Big Island. I can see the snow on top of Mauna Kea.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:05 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm putting my irrigation fittings and risers (irrigation is so sexy, ya know) all into one storage container, probably to sell. Anyway, I'm not cold, but I keep coming into the warm house to find other little containers to separate the sprayheads from the stream bubblers, blah, blah. (I shudda left it all in california.)

What kind of material are they made from? I'm bringing my PVC drip irrigation tubing, bubblers and timer to NM with me when I move so I can use them in a vegetable garden I want to plant. If yours are compatible, I may want to buy a few from you.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:38 pm
@Butrflynet,
Tangent warning ---

Butrflynet,
I've got some good stuff, old irrigation designer that I am. But, I used all my own drip stuff for my own drip irrigation back in LA. I haven't fully explored here in town. First of all, town has two kinds of soil. Right here, it is nearly straight sand, so my expensive pop up heads for regular old inline irrigation would just grit up right away. Anyway, most of what I have is for inline - but back in CA, I designed drip for housing tracts using underground pipe as an underlying structure even though for the drip above the pressure would be highly reduced. That cut out a lot of "spaghetti loss". I've got some expensive fittings for that underground framework. Across town, the land has a lot of clay, maybe or maybe not some of my stuff would work better over there. Otherwise - I may have to pack it all back up and send it to old pals in CA. I don't even know how well the spaghetti tube with wee bubblers works here in sandville. I might actually trust old fashioned stream bubblers (run wisely) better. But with a raised bed and a lot of amendments, maybe drip works.

You can tell I haven't investigated. I water my relatively few plants with a watering can .... so far.

Hmmm, I should talk with littleK..
maporsche

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:38 pm
I'm actively trying to become like those people, and probably doing pretty good. Every year I wait longer and longer before putting a coat on. I made it to around Christmas this year, and there were quite a few sub-freezing days (although, I'm not quite immune to the -3 we had today).

I too will not go to any great length to put on warm clothing unless my body will be outside for greater than 10 minutes. I will go into the garage in shorts and barefoot to get wood, take out trash, etc. I take the dogs outside and play with them in a t-shirt/shorts w/o any problems (although, with all the snow outside I do wear shoes, but no socks).

Anyway, my efforts are working, I'm not less sensitive to the cold weather. However, I do think there is a negative trade off where warmer weather or heat in the house is becomming more uncomfortable.
Foofie

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:41 pm
I believe some people do not feel the cold, nor get sick when they do not bundle up. It is just their constitution. I believe I see this more amongst young people, especially teenagers, or pre-teens.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:58 pm
Some of us have been interested in the question of chilling and viruses - I remember that Sozobe is. I spent years thinking that getting chilled, short of hypothermia, did no harm unless you had a virus lurking and that the cold might trigger some virus strains from latency (sorry, I forget terminology). There are - I remember - recent studies on this, but I don't remember the results, just that they made me question my view.
I do know cold can sometimes kick in asthma for me. But not always, luckily.
0 Replies