Yellowstone in winter?

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:54 am
Mr. B has suggested that we take a trip you Yellowstone next month.

I'm not much of an extreme weather type girl and the thought of -40 degrees sounds petrifying but when I watch videos of winter tours and read the recommeded gear to bring it doesn't sound that extreme. Many photos and video show people dressed in normal ski-type gear.

Has anyone here made the trip to Yellowstone in the dead of winter? What's your advice?

Here's part 1 of a cool video from the BBC about Yellowstone in winter for your viewing pleasure:

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,633 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:57 am
@boomerang,
When/ how often is it -40? (Like, is that overnight, or is that at 3 PM?)

That's definitely not fun to be out in.

Zero is fine though, just need to bundle up.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 07:58 am
always wanted to go to yellowstone, but i figure with the caldera brewing, i might get lucky and have yellowstone come to me in my lifetime
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:09 am
Yellowstone is amazing!

I've only been there once -- in early September -- and I froze my butt off. Mr. B assures me that you can rent extreme weather gear near the park. I assume that the park is full of microclimates so perhaps it isn't that extreme in all areas. He's been there several times but never in the dead of winter.

There are only a few hours of real daylight each day in the winter; they might be talking about night time temperatures.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:35 am
It seems that -40 is very possible but somewhat unusual. Found this:

Quote:
Winter Weather

Winter temperatures often hover near 0° F / -20° C throughout the day but may reach highs in the 20s / -5° C. Subzero over night temperatures are common. Occasionally, warm "chinook" winds will push daytime temperatures into the 40s / 5 - 10° C, causing significant melting of snowpack--especially at lower elevations. Yellowstone also typically experiences periods of bitterly cold weather. The lowest temperature recorded in Yellowstone was -66° F / -54° C near West Yellowstone on 09 Feb 1933. Annual snowfall averages near 150 inches / 380 cm in most of the park. At higher elevations, 200-400 inches / 5 - 10 meters of snowfall have been recorded. At any time of year, be prepared for sudden changes; unpredictability, more than anything else, characterizes Yellowstone's weather.

Snowmobilers and skiers should always check on temperatures and wind chill forecasts; subzero weather can make travel dangerous even with proper gear. Always carry extra clothing when hiking, skiing, or snowmobiling. Take advantage of the warming huts (heated shelters) provided in some park areas. Good walking shoes and layers of clothing are recommended throughout the year, but in the winter you'll also need warm boots. Cross-country skis or snowshoes are a 'must' in winter if you plan to go beyond the main roads and boardwalks.

http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/weather.htm
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:02 am
@boomerang,
I've never been there in the winter - but I know family that has gone snowmobiling in the winter and I'm talking about people in their 60s so you should be able to this.

Here is a link: http://wintermt.com/snomoareas/westyell.htm
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:02 am
In today's "small world" category goes this:

I had to go by Mo's school this morning to drop stuff off and started talking to this other kid's dad along the way. We had an arctic front move through yesterday and it is in the 20s here but he was dressed in a lightish weight jacket.

He: "Oh I grew up in Montana.... this is nothing...."

Me: "We're thinking of going to Yellowstone next month and I'm nervous about how cold it might be!"

He: "I used to do snowmobile tours throught the park in the winter!!! It's absolutely amazing!!!! Because of all the geothermal activity parts of the park are really pretty warm. Winter is the best time of year to go...."

So now I'm not so nervous. If we can get reservations.....

0 Replies