Need help finding the value of a painting

dbames

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 04:37 pm
Hi, I just acquired a 10 x 14 oil painting that is signed by John C or John G Foster, it is signed in red, printed. The picture looks like a little farming community that is surrounded by hills and trees or bushes. There are some numbers on the back, two sets, 0509871 and 0698751, not sure what they are for, maybe auction numbers? There is also a big dollar sign in the middle of the back which makes me think that it may be valuable. Can you help, I can send a picture if you want to see it. Thanks Deb
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 3,922 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 05:14 pm
@dbames,
You should scan a photo and post it. Could be by Maj. Gen. John G. Foster
type his name here: http://www.askart.com/AskART/index.aspx
NickFun

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 05:37 pm
Send me the painting and I will have it appraised. If it's over $3 million I will share a percentage with you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:37 pm
@dbames,
Numbered paintings are usually valuable - or at the very least has some value. You need to bring your painting to a Road Show, and have it appraised.

You can look for the artist by researching on the web through Google. Type out his name and type of painting.

Good luck.
dbames

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:20 am
@Zippo,
Hi Zippo,
Can I post it here?
0 Replies

dbames

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:21 am
@NickFun,
You are kidding, aren't you?
0 Replies

dbames

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:22 am
@cicerone imposter,
Do you think that the numbers on the back are significant?
roger

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:42 am
@dbames,
Sure, you can post it here. And Nick is not kidding. If he says he'll give you a percentage over a specific price, I'm sure he will.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 03:53 pm
@dbames,
Most often with "professional" art works, they have great significance.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 04:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wouldn't that pertain to lithographs rather than an original oil painting?

That's a piece of information that needs definite confirmation. Is the painting an original oil painting or a lithograph (reproduced printing of a painting)?

Dbames, check out the info here:

http://www.askart.com/AskART/help/what_is_my_art_worth.aspx
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 05:49 pm
@dbames,
Are you sure it's a painting? I assume it is not covered with glass and you can feel it's a painting. Is it on canvas or board? No reputable auction house would write on an object, they might use a sticker. I think the dollar sign is meaningless. Can you post an image of the picture? That would be very helpful.

It might take me a little while to get back to you - I have weekend guests who are keeping me busy.
dbames

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:52 am
@Green Witch,
Hi, yes, I am sure it is a painting, there is no glass or frame. It is an oil painting, there are lots of raised areas that imply oil paint. I will post a picture.
0 Replies

dbames

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:00 am
I can't figure out how to post a picture, any suggestions? Thanks Deb
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:18 am
@dbames,
Yes - I'll try to find a link here that explains it well, but in the meantime, if you have a photo on your computer (I tend to put the photo icon on the desktop, but I don't think you have to)
1) find a photo site that puts computer photos into jpeg (or gif) format such as photobucket or imageshack, or many others. I like photobucket because using it seems pretty easy to me.
2) sign up to one of those sites and add your photo to it following the site directions
3) click on the image url on the site (on photobucket, I use the 4th one) - that will copy the url (the url being the string of symbols and letters that ends in jpeg).
4) open the reply window on your thread here
5) notice up above the window are "buttons", one of which is IMG. Click that.
6) [IMG] and [/IMG] will show up in the reply window
7) put your cursor inbetween them if it isn't there already
8) click paste on your browser's edit list
9) push preview button to see if the transfer worked
10) if so, push Submit
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:26 am
@ossobuco,
Here's a how-to link, more succinct than my comment above.

http://able2know.org/topic/123066-1
0 Replies

EddieTheWire

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2012 12:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I enjoyed this thread, and it made me think of the 'old man' hanging on the wall ---- here's a photo of the 'old man' painting that has been in our family for many decades, probably since the 40's:
http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q745/eddiethewire/oldmanpainting.jpg

no markings showing the artist...it's origin has been a mystery since my grandparents passed away, since they took with them all the knowledge of where it was obtained (purchased at a gallery in Pasadena, CA)

Any guess at the artist or name? thanks

Eddie
0 Replies