Borscht Recipes?

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:00 am
@patiodog,
Philistine! I love 'em both.
patiodog

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:58 am
@Merry Andrew,
Well, I've likely never had a good one -- just from the Ukrainian deli up the road in my old Chicago neighborhood. Grandma only passed down the piroshki.

Not a big fan of pot stickers either, though, and that's pretty much the same concept...

Incidentally, Grandma didn't do a borscht with piroshkis, either. She made this great thin tomato-lemon-dill soup to dip them in. Great complement to the cabbage-black pepper-ground roast beef of the piroshkis...
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 05:45 am
@patiodog,
interesting. haven't heard of a tomato based sauce for piroski. my most favorite ones have sheep cheese and dill inside. very simple, sooooo good.
patiodog

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 07:36 am
@dagmaraka,
Mmmm, me hungry now.

My grandmother was raised by Polish immigrants in Pennsylvania. Don't know how much that affected how she learned to cook. Cooking also blandified by the fact that my grandfather had a section of duodenum removed when he was in the army and couldn't eat anything spicy or challenging...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 03:55 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
A real Ukrainian borscht doesnt have that sour cream crap.

Now I find out! I've been eating unreal, un-Ukrainian borscht all my life & didn't even know it! Wink

I love the sour cream crap.
0 Replies