Academy Awards 2009

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 05:08 pm
@joefromchicago,
Yet, he didn't take it so seriously and delivered the best tribute. He was really good in the HBO movie "Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story" and although not pulling down star quality roles for the multiplex, he's been working. They only get paid base SAG wages for award shows, so I think that will barely buy him a couple of nice dinners at a good Hollywood restaurant. Robert Osborne gave the concept a good review. It just wasn't the worst Oscar show overall 'cause I can remember some pretty mediocre shows, but maybe in the 80's during the Reagan years when it seemed to be the decade of not-so-great movies.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 07:21 pm
Variety's review:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117939752.html?categoryid=32&cs=1
mac11

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:42 am
@Lightwizard,
"Necrology package?" Ouch.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:21 am
@mac11,
That's just about my favorite part of the Oscar broadcast. I am usually sitting there thinking: "He died? I didn't even know he was still alive!"

R.I.P. Van Johnson.
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 04:54 pm
@joefromchicago,
It's remarkable that everyone in Hollywood knew he was gay, that his marriages were arranged by the studio, and even with Farley Grainger letting the cat out of the bag, Van managed to stay in the closet publicly.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:06 pm
My mom always thought my dad looked like Van Johnson (and he did, a bit.) I don't have the heart to tell her that Van died. And LW's news wouldn't go over well either.

She was glad to hear that Jerry Lewis was honored ("it's about time") and to hear that he looked more like himself than he has in a while.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:50 am
@mac11,
I hope it wouldn't be bad news because your mom would connect Van Johnson is gay to her husband resembling him! Wink His audience, as a matter-of-fact, in the late years when he hosted some PBS specials was, surprise, elderly ladies. Just like Liberace. My Mom is always fawning over some male actor and I'd say, "Mom, you always like the gay ones." She just laughs. Van Johnson was one of the "witches" in Ronald Reagan's witch hunt during his SAG days. Of course, somehow he was persuaded to knock-it-off, considering he was aiming at a third of the membership who were either gay or bi-sexual.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:45 pm
Not sure how "in the closet" Van Johnson was. I think it was pretty well known in the entertainment community that he was one of Hollywood's biggest fancy lads. I think it just got to the point that Johnson didn't need to deny or confirm something that was common knowledge among those in the business and not of much interest to those outside of it. Still, a darn fine actor.

http://www.fatladysings.us/.a/6a00d8341c6b2e53ef0105366139be970c-320wi

Mickey Rooney: "Milhouse, listen: you can't quit this movie. I've seen your work; it's good -- very, very good. Van Johnson good!"
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:11 pm
@joefromchicago,
If you weren't a reporter and enough of a close acquaintance, if you asked him, he's tell you yes. George Nader confirmed that. People do honor when someone is still alive that it's up to them if they want to crack open the closet door. In "Four Girls In Town," the scuttlebutt in Hollywood is that he and Van had a short affair.
0 Replies