Why hasn't God answered my prayers?

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:28 pm
If God was suppose to provide what we ask for, like the Bible said, (seek and you will find...), why didn't He answer my prayers? My first prayer: I've asked for a house and car and for friends to quit ditching me. These never happened. My very last prayer: "Please don't let me get canned in spite of the horrible things I said to Mel* and the pole I physically assaulted. Please don't let it be any worse than a d-day. Please make Mel* forgive me ." Well? Look what happened! I also prayed for Him to change other ppl who I clearly wronged me. I don't remember all of them, but they still haven't changed. How could this happen like that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 5,771 • Replies: 77
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:30 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
It doesn't sound like pray but rather like you are giving commands.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:33 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
I should add that I am an agnostic, but even if there is a god- I don't think he pulls any strings. It's all up to us to make the best of who we are and what the world dishes out to us.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:35 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
First place, you are assuming that there is a god, a concept which I question. Second, you are looking for answers outside of your self.

I find your attitude to be very immature. Children believe in good fairies. Adults take control of their own lives. Praying may give you comfort, but it won't change anything unless YOU make it happen.

Then again there is an old story. A woman was very upset because she prayed to god, and none of her prayers were answered. She goes to her minister, and sobbingly relates what has happened to him. The minister replies,

"But of course god answered you. He said, 'No!' "
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:39 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
I think DD is just having a bit of fun here, folks!!!
dirrtydozen22

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:48 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Of course there is a God. I read of ppl who had a heart attack, went to hell, and came back, writing a book about it. There's also "90 Minutes in Heaven." The difference is, to other ppl, God changes lives. To me, He just exists. Maybe He changed other ppl's lives bc they did their part while God did His? That's what I get from your second paragraph lol.

P.S. Very good story you got there.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Fun?! FA, I've been struggling with the concept of God for years. If He truly loved the world, He wouldn't let all those horrible things happen! They're anything but fun.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:54 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Do you know there is a scientific explanation for these so called "near death" experiences? There are many articles that explore the issue in great detail, but here is a good overview:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12274186/
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:20 pm
I am a Buddhist. Prayers are answered based on the causes we make. If you look outside yourself then none of your prayers will be answered.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:27 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
The choices I'm faced with, DD, are these:

Either you are having fun...

...or you are a horse's ass.

I would much, much, much rather think of you as kidding...and I'm gonna continue to do so until you convince me otherwise.
George

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:06 pm
. . . and the tension builds . . .
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:31 pm
Dd22.
There are many millions on earth today that have to..and do live on less than a dollar a day, they also pray to their Gods, asking for just substances each day, so I would say-- your chances of having any of your prayers answered are much more than a trillion to one.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:43 pm
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

I am a Buddhist. Prayers are answered based on the causes we make. If you look outside yourself then none of your prayers will be answered.

I don't understand this. Is it because I'm interpreting "outside" as "beyond"? i.e., "If you look beyond yourself then nothing will be answered."

Looking beyond oneself is where empathy begins, yes?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:16 pm

Emo Philips said

"When I was young I used to pray to God to have a bike.
But my prayers weren't answered.
So I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."

So there you have it. The Lord helps those who help themselves.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:24 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
God is in the pay of mgmt. They didn't like you shouting at Mel near the fitting room so you've got no chance unless you can give Him a better deal !
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:25 pm
. . . the widening gyre . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:33 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

If God was suppose to provide what we ask for, like the Bible said, (seek and you will find...)

Seek and you will find does not mean God will provide what you ask for.

or....

God does answer your prayers, but sometimes the answer is no.

or....

A woman got caught in a flood but refused help from neighbors, the local police, national guard to get her out. She kept saying "God will provide"

She drowned and wound up at the Pearly Gates. When she got into heaven, she asked God why he didn't save her from the flood.

God said "I sent your neighbors, the local police and the national guard. What else did you want?"

I drank heavily for years, and dispaired that my life was getting shittier and shittier. Funny thing, when I stopped drinking, I showed up for work, got raises and promotions, better friends and eventually a house with a little garden.

dirrtydozen22

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
ok le me put it this way. It's impossible to have fun after **** happens like getting canned. Secondly, He only answered 3 prayers in my life, including the one about getting a phone operator position filled by someone who won't piss me off. If He's so inconsistent...wait, I don't need to prove myself to anyone!
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:32 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Quote:
ok le me put it this way. It's impossible to have fun after **** happens like getting canned. Secondly, He only answered 3 prayers in my life, including the one about getting a phone operator position filled by someone who won't piss me off. If He's so inconsistent...wait, I don't need to prove myself to anyone!

No, you don't have to prove yourself to anyone.

But once again, I find myself hoping you are kidding.

One...compared with some of the"****" that happens, "getting canned" is a ******* joke. If we were talking about an accident that killed everyone you were close to and made you completely unable to move a muscle for the remainder of your life...perhaps it would be serious enough for the kind of drama your are displaying.

But we are talking about getting canned...something that is happening to people all over the world right now.

Two...if there is a god...one of the ways the god could "answer your prayers" would be to let you fail and fail and fail...so that you might eventually grow up.

You might consider praying a few prayers of thanksgiving to your god for the gift of allowing you to fail...of allowing you to fend for yourself rather than relying on divine help.

And you might throw in a prayer asking for a functioning brain. That might be of help to you.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:38 am
You mean...

people still believe in that god guy?

well.. slap my ass and call me marcy
0 Replies