Are RVs Autos?

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:15 am
Cool we could meet at a trade show that would be a learning experience for me.

Didn't you once say you were interested in Blenko glass? If you are I know a dealer that would be willing to deal.

There is a show I usually participate in town today. I did not rent a space so I am going there this afternoon to commune with my co-workers - that is what I call the other dealers. Most of them are so good to me and are great mentors.

I have never worked in oils have just been around other artists using them. If you do not do it then I will settle for drawing, pencil, charcoal, and pastels and save my immersion in oils for the time when I have a real house and can build a studio.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:04 am
Van warning: I wouldn't tow with a 1/2-ton van (E-150, Chevy/GMC 1500, Ram 1500). They are simply too light-duty. MINIMUM, I suggest a 3/4-ton (E-250, Chevy/GMC 2500, Ram 2500) for any towing.

A possibility is the Freightliner/Dodge Sprinter--diesel, good mileage (~23MPG), lots of room (high enough to stand inside), & will run forever (it's a rebadged Mercedes van). If you don't want a heavy-duty van (in which case I recommend the Ford E-350 diesel), I strongly suggest looking into a Sprinter.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:08 pm
Joanne, Im interested in blenko just from its history and chhemistry of the colors. We collect mostly Arts& Crafts pottery and Pa Dutch Spatter and Gaudy Dutch for ceramics and "small" stuff like kniddy knoddies and I collect Indian artifacts.
At Reiningers, in Adamastown, they have a series of extravaganzas in the summer and fall. Anything can be found there. The Shupps Grove market is open every Sunday in the sumer and it was here that the copy of the Declaration of Independence supposedly was sold by an unwary dealer.The paperwas in the back of a frame containing an old print. However, the Maine antiques digest had an article that said this story was a myth. I dont know but the aforementioned transcribed copy of the Dec Independence was only one made as archival copies and, it last sold at Christies for 8 million. Not a bad day ?

I bought another blanket chest at an auction Sat (that makes over 30 that we have now) and Im going to soon start selling blanket chests , but not on eBay. Ive watched some of the antique furniture go on eBay, and Im not convinced that the stuff I know about was correctly reported by the dealers
When you go to New England, youve gotta go to the Brimfield and the Union Me show. In AUgust we have a nice show in Eastport Me on the 1st Sat in AUgust.
Ive always found it to be a good place for old maps and pocket knives. Two years ago I got a Winchester hobo knife for under 100$ and I later sold it to a knife dealer for 300, the knife book has it worth about 600 in the condition mine was in. Im starting to do a little "picking" for a couple of dealers and its been fun. We agree on a product and price upfront, if I get something at way below value, i make out very well.
The only things I stay away from on vacation /"pickin" trips , is guns and original art. Long guns are a hassle and original art needs to be verified . I had a chance to pick up a 'Winslow Homer" watercolor for 2K in Vt a few years ago. I backed off because it probably was a fake although it looked good. The only thing was the price was too good ,

Good luck in the buying and selling. When im up there ill PM you and maybe we can get together somewhere in between, or if New England Gets to ya, and you stay later I can tell you of shows doming up in the Fall down in pA and Md
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:19 pm
hmmmmmmm, when's the next Brimfield?
I've always wanted to go there while a show was on. I used to subscribe to M.A.D. - loved reading about Brimfield - and went there outside of show season once when I was thinking of going into the business.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:41 pm
Brimfield usually has 2 shows in the summer. The first is usually the weekend around 4th of July(a holiday here in the colonies)

the second is usually Labor Day weekend 9yours and ours are the same eh?)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:51 pm
hmmmmmm - so our Canada Day (July 1) and Labour Day. Seems to me there used to be a later one. Guess I'll have to go Googling.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:52 pm
nope, no later one. there was one 10 days ago.

http://www.brimfieldshow.com/

May 11-16 • July 6-11 • September 7-12 this year
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:53 pm
Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a uhaul and stay at a Motel 6?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 05:07 pm
My car cannot pull a u-Haul Osso and I really rather stay with the dealers. It is tons of fun and much cheaper.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 01:07 am
Today I fell in love with a 1985 Dodge Ram, extended cab, that was rigged for use by someone with a wheel chair. It is like being inside a small house.

It has everything I think I want. Lots of room, lots of power and it would make be look like a real junker plus and it runs well.

It can haul 2 thousand lbs., and there is already a hitch attached. The radio and air conditioning work. The paint is a light tan and in good condition and are y'all ready it has real chrome bumpers and is made of steel, yikes.

This could be my car. A good friend and car mechanic is checking it out for me now. Only 103,000 miles on the dear old thing. I figure it would only cost about $50.00 or more to fill up at present prices.

There is plenty of room for both Carlotta and the Supreme Bean.

Any and all comments are welcome re this type of vehicle.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 01:18 am
Shameless plug. I'm a member over at The RV Advice Forum and there are several knowledgable RV folks there to answer your RV questions. I'm an accomplished mechanic and avid RVer and have been a full-timer for a sizeable part of my life, so any help I can offer, just let me know.

Curtis
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 01:34 am
Oh I thank you so much curtis73 and welcome to A2k.

So what do you think about a 1985 Dodge Ram Van. It was love at first sight for me.

On the practical side it started at the first turn of the key. Runs sounds smooth. But is it a good thing for a woman traveling alone to buy such an old van?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:26 am
Wow, Curtis, a full-timer. We live in an RV during July through September most years . My wife says that the RV gets one foot smaller each month were out. We are normally average living folks but we learn to live neater when we are on the road.

Thanks for the link to that RV site, Ill have to visit, here at A2k, there arent many RVers at all, Ive tried to scare up some folks in the past.

Joanne is the one needs the help to choose a truck.
BTW Joanne, I saw one of those freightliner vans the other day. It was owned by a lightning rod company.
The body style is intelligently done for headroom and high storage . You can stand up . Im a bit over 6' and I had head room with only a bit of ducking because the guy had lightning rods stored off the top.

The only thing the owner had as a complaint was that anytime he had it in for service , it costs a lot. (Its a mercedes mentality-He put a tow harness on the back and it cost 2X as much as a normal hitch assembly and wasnt any better) You have the opportunity to pay over and over with mercedes parts. Maybe if the Chrysler people thought this out better there wouldnt be such special (and more expensive) parts list for it. Im not sure what vans cost but this one was about 35K new.

As far as 85 van, my concern would be to have it well checked out , bow to stern. Also, body integrity for vans has always been a problem. Make sure that there arent any holes in the floor under the carpet and bed.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:53 am
Will do FM. It seems good and I am running the VIN on that sight re accidents and vehicle history etc. I do not want to take any chances and I have posted in the site Curtis gave above.

Righto FM on the new Chrysler Vans I checked them out on the web last weekend. Having owned a Jag in the past I know that mentality about pricey upkeep. In the 70s it cost $350 just for an oil change.

This old guy I am looking out is perfect in price, size, and is rigged to pull a 2,000 lb load. Not that I have that much yet but I hope I will need it in the future.

As I said before this is just my beginning and my main concern is road worthiness, i.e., no breakdowns. Pulse as I said I feel in love with it at first sight not always a good indicator. But it has that junker look but not crummy if you know what I mean.

The Chrysler Van is great but I just cannot afford it.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:10 pm
If this Ram Van is a wheelchair lift, look carefully for cracks in the body near the lift mounting points--we've sent several Rams to the junkyard for this at work.

If it is a half-ton (Ram Van 150), don't even THINK about towing with it.
0 Replies