Amoxicillin Allergic reaction

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:03 pm
my 2 year old was giving amoxicillin for ear infection and had a terrible allergic reaction to it.. she has hives and rash all over her body and nothing seems to help with the itching.. she was taken to the ED last night and was giving benedryl and steriods, but the itches is still not going away..
Please any advise????????????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,605 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:15 pm
@naadja70,
You need to speak to your pediatrician. The doctor's answering service should be able to page him (or her). The drug needs to clear your daughters system, but I'm not sure there is much else you can do in the meantime. When you speak to the doctor, ask if it would be OK if she has an oatmeal bath.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:33 pm
I'll second what greenwitch said, Call your pediatrician. This is not a medical board. You really should get the advice from a professional.
naadja70

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:45 pm
@martybarker,
as a matter of fact I have contact my child's pediatrician.. and all I got was, it has to wear out of her system... I thought someone had a home remedy that was tried and work.. I thought i would get advise from a mother who had similar situation......
mismi

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:21 pm
@naadja70,
Oatmeal baths soothed my boy's skin when he had chicken pox. You might try that...of course stay in there with her and keep it warm, not hot. It may or may not help - but it can't hurt.

I hope she feels better soon.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:46 pm
Lots of liquids, cool compresses, and a distracting toy.
Smile
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:53 pm
@naadja70,
I'm sorry that I may have souned harsh. My writing style is usually pretty short and to the point. I find it frustrating that the pediatrician just left you with the answer they did.
How is she doing now?
0 Replies

tarakesh

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:03 pm
@naadja70,
I had the very same problem with my 2 yr old-- we just gave him a lot of water and tried to keep him cool (no clothes, fanning, baby powder).
Took him to another ped. and she almost gave him another penicillin based antibiotic!! That was close!
Do let us know how she is doing.
0 Replies

naadja70

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:51 am
Thanks everyone for your advise and concern.. She is doing a whole lot better.. The itching is limited to her feet and hands now.
The oatmeal baths really helped.. Thanks
0 Replies