from Jan 21-21/ will or would

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 12:52 pm
I would like to ask that Ms. Ivy Par to take over in my absence during my 4 days' vacation leave from January 21- 24.

I am very confident that she would be of great help to our team, and I would bring her up to speed on all jobs I am currently working on.

Thank you for considering my request.

1. Is from Jan 21 - 24 correctly used?

2. Is 'would' correct or should it be 'will'?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 816 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PeckyP

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:05 am
@tanguatlay,
Instead of would like to ask, I would tend to use request. "Would like to ask" implies you want to ask, but not necessarily that you will or are. From the tone of your message, I get the feeling you want to suggest this person to fill your spot during your vacation and I feel request would fit nicely there.
Also, I can't comment on "from January 21 - 24" as it sounds decent, although I avoid using symbols in formal notes. If you want to avoid the situation, you may try "vacation leave beginning January 21" as the phrase "4 days'" implies the end date of the vacation.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy your vacation. =D

- PeckyP -
0 Replies

PeckyP

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:29 am
@tanguatlay,
Sorry for the double post, edit disappeared...

Anyway, I just reread the second line and I would phrase it differently. Though, I have my own style of writing that I developed while I was younger.

Instead of "I would bring her up to speed on all jobs I am currently working on", I would say "I will bring her up to speed on all of my current jobs."

I change "would" to "will" because of the tense issue it causes. "Will" gives a stronger implication of the future act you will commit if she is chosen.
Also, I believe "on" is a preposition in this case and it is improper to end sentences with a preposition. So reworking it, I compressed it a bit while keeping the important parts of the phrase. (Or at least I hope I did. =P)

- PeckyP -
0 Replies