Why I love the Ravens

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:10 pm
As I see it, you HAVE to love the Ravens. The basic core of that team seems to consist of a group of what you might call working class black guys who put themselves through college playing football, got good enough to earn their livings at it, who take themselves seriously and are seriously good at what they do, and nobody needs to speak Arabic to pronounce any of their names.

Ed Reed, Bart Scott, Ray Lewis... I mean, that just sounds like ordinary America. Contrast the story about the kid who played Buckwheat in Our Gang, converted to I-slam and started calling himself Kareem-of-Wheat; I notice Kareem of Wheat doesn't play for the Baltimore Ravens.

In fact, I don't see any Arabic or slammite names on the Baltimore Roster at all:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/roster/BAL

I mean I've always said "Show me a black person who thinks they need to be a slammite and I'll show you somebody who never got within a mile of a history book..."

I'd bet money that Ozzie Newsome owns several history books.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,508 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:17 pm
@gungasnake,
I'd bet Kareem could talk you into a corner, but I like the Ravens as well.

Defense without turnovers wins championships.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:26 pm
@Rockhead,
There's a psych dimension to the Raven defense which is several steps beyond anything else out there. Try doing youtube searches on 'ray lewis' and watch some of it.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:28 pm
@gungasnake,
Go look at the football thread and see who has them taking it all...

It ain't cuz there's no muslims, btw.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 05:28 am
@Rockhead,
Then again, what I'm observing might be more universal than football...

Friends who work in and around the Federal and DC governments tell me that for a year or two after 9/11 they were watching all the blacks having to relearn eachothers names as everybody dropped the slammite names they'd thought were cool in the 70s - 90s.....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 11:17 pm
Ray Lewis vs the guy with the slammite name.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0bXl2bptc&feature=related
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 07:19 am
Anybody besides me try to figure that one out or anything like that?

What I mean is, Forties numbers in football usually denote fullbacks, meaning somebody from around 225 to around 250 lbs, and you'd ask yourself if Ray Lewis is really strong enough to simply pick somebody that big up and kerflooie him like a rag doll, and the basic answer is no.

What happened on that one was mental and similar to a judo contest move in which Lewis basically allowed the fullback to kerflooie HIMSELF. Lewis stepped in front of the guy, planted himself and hit the fullback pretty much in the face with his elbow and the part of his forearm just below the elbow, but you can't 'really SWING that part of your arm more than a little bit. What happened was that Hall's head stopped and the rest of his body tried to keep on going. Sort of like a reverse version of the thing you see when a novice skier is doing 30 mph on packed snow and then runs into soft snow, and his feet stop and the rest of his body tries to keep on at 30.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 05:07 pm
@gungasnake,
the mayor of pittsburgh does not share your view...

Mayor's new name: Steelerstahl
Updated: January 14, 2009, 2:44 PM ET
PITTSBURGH -- What's in a name?
If you're the mayor of Pittsburgh and your beloved Pittsburgh Steelers are playing one of their archrivals for the right to go to the Super Bowl, certainly not "Raven."
So goodbye, Luke Ravenstahl; hello, Luke Steelerstahl.

Ravenstahl -- er, Steelerstahl -- says he decided to remove "Raven" from his name just as he predicts the Steelers will remove the hated Baltimore Ravens from contention in Sunday's AFC Championship Game.
On Wednesday morning, the mayor began, but did not complete, an official name change petition, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3832512
gungasnake

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 06:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
Any word about Worthlessberger changing his name to Smith or Jones or some such?
0 Replies