COMPUTER SPYWARE???

grace16

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:18 pm
I suspect that someone in my home is using the internet inappropriatelly. I have heard about computer spyware. How does it work? Can it be detected? Any recommentations. I would like to record the keystrokes if possible.

Thanks, Grace16
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,915 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:41 pm
Be very careful. Keystroke loggers are often more dangerous than anything else. They can be emailing your logs to a hacker.

I will not give you a recommendation because what you describe sounds more like you want to know what's going on thann to stop it and I sense a *possibility* of an ethical dillema.

Can you describe the situation a bit more? It's easy to password protect your computer, I'd not feel comfortable helping you if what you want to do is untoward.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:17 am
bookmark
0 Replies

grace16

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:52 am
COMPUTER SPYWARE
A request was made for more information about why I wanted to record keystrokes. The person in my home is a cheating spouse. This may be the only evidence I can obtain to prove adultery.
Thanks for your response. Grace16
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 08:05 am
Whatever your situation is grace, keystroke loggers are often used for malicious purposes. A lot of people including me are not that comfortable giving advice on a public board for programs that are usually used to spy on people &/or for illegal activities.
0 Replies

Coaan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:42 am
Spybot search&destroy

The above is a little free program that will find any harmful spyware and terminate it. The controls are well laid out and it is easy to use.

And it is legal
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:18 am
Coaan,

Grace wasn't asking about how to remove spyware but how to GET it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:20 am
Re: COMPUTER SPYWARE
grace16 wrote:
A request was made for more information about why I wanted to record keystrokes. The person in my home is a cheating spouse. This may be the only evidence I can obtain to prove adultery.
Thanks for your response. Grace16

Grace,

In that case what you are looking for is a keystroke logger.

Search for "keystroke logger" and pick one. I do not have any recommendations because I have never used one but there are PLENTY out there.

Try to get one that looks reputable, like I said, many keystroke loggers send your keystrokes (complete with passwords etc) to hackers.
0 Replies

Coaan

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:57 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Coaan,

Grace wasn't asking about how to remove spyware but how to GET it.

Who in the hell would want spyware?

At any rate...just type what was mentioned into google...it'll come up with something...there are better and more legal ways to go about it though
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:58 am
There are two very different types of programs called "spyware".

One is when shoddy merchants manage to get software on your computer for some advantage and the other is software to use to "spy".

The second kind is sold to be used to monitor your own computer but the sales are alwmost always to people who want to monitor someone else's.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:01 am
bookmark.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:47 am
Hi. I just today learned of this spyware. Errrr!

I'd like to know how another person using this software could actually come in to my computer from a remote location anyway.

Do they have to have e-mailed me or something?

Of course, I don't have anything to hide, but my sweetheart is quite political and we live in a small town, with small-minded people who have lots of time on their hands.

How can I tell if our computer has been spied upon?

And what can I do to protect us? Is this the message behind "earthlink"?

Should I give people only a yahoo address, so they can't come into my computer?

Thanks!
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:11 am
spyware doesn't let anyone go into your computer. it just logs information about your computer habits to better target ads.
use ad-aware to clean out the spy-ware every once in a while.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:48 pm
Oh. I found something online that claims it CAN get into another person's computer. I'll see if I can find it again. Thanks for your response!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:03 pm
I don't like anything that can spy on people, but then it is good to be able to keep an eye on your young children. Whenever I wanted to know what my son was up too though, I just check the history on my computer.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 06:38 am
Here's a link to a NYT article in today's paper. They can get into you by sending you an e-card or through e-mail. Egads!

The reason I'm concerned is that a nosy neighbor of opposing political sentiments from Mr. dupre nearly insisted one time that I contact him through the e-mail on one of his Web sites. I found his request very strange. . . .

I can't remember if I did it or not, and frankly, it no longer matters since that service was terminiated and then reactivated. But still . . .

This guy is such a snoop, you wouldn't believe! He's always out front on his porch, acres away, with his binoculars pointed at us.

He's a very strange person. He has lots of computer paraphernalia with his system, too.

The article says that someone can even activate your Web cam and see you while you are online.

Creeps!

I don't think we have a Web cam on ours.

I wonder if they can download one of those puppies onto your system without your knowing it and then activate it remotely!

Yeeikes!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:00 am
Coaan: Thanks for the link. I have downloaded it and did a scan. I feel much better now!

A terrific freebie!

Thanks.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:19 am
Dupre wrote:

wonder if they can download one of those puppies onto your system without your knowing it and then activate it remotely!

Yes, they can, if your machine's security status allows it.

A good firewall will prevent unwanted traffic, both incoming and outgoing. Most keyloggers are very surreptitious, hide themselves from the Programs Folder, Add and Remove Programs, Startup Configuration and Task Manager. They can be difficult to detect, and even more difficult to defeat and remove ... often direct registry editing is the only way to rid your system of one. Keyloggers can also be used by unscrupulous sorts to crack your passwords and retrieve your personal info, including financial access ... often remotely, and controlled by the actual vendor of the product. IMO they are very bad things. I am aware of many, but will recommend none. Offers for them are common spam subjects, and a googlesearch for the term will probably yield tens of thousands of hits.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:24 am
Here's the link the NYT article
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/10/technology/10SPY.html?hp

timberlandko, thanks for the information.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:27 am
timberlandko: Please verify. You mean, they can download a Web cam into my computer remotely?
0 Replies