Who to Choose?

Help-Me

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 03:41 pm
My Parents are in the middle of getting a divorce. Sad My dad has just come out of prison for doing something for me, my mum and my little brother. Most dads are mean etc but my dad isnt like that! Him and mum are hurt at the moment and are fighting to keep me and my little brother. My brother is 11 and he doesnt like my mum because she wont take my dad back! I feel the same but i cant take it out on my mum. Dad says we can get a flat and paint it up and get new furniture and stuff but it will only be the 3 of us but it will kill my mum. I love them both to bits and i know they love me but if i go with one i wont see the other. I am just so confused and angry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,229 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 04:46 pm
@Help-Me,
Another young person asked for help with a similar problem a couple of weeks ago but never came back to acknowledge or respond to the advice given. Perhaps you will find help in the words of wisdom there.

Here's a link:

http://able2know.org/topic/127083-1#post-3513014

In any case, feel free to talk about what you are feeling. Many of us have gone through similar divorce experiences either as parents or children.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 05:01 pm
@Help-Me,
Hello, Help-Me. Welcome to A2K.

You don't mention your age or where you live, but am I correct in assuming that you and your brother are expected to decide separately which parent you and your brother are going to live with after the divorce? I can imagine that you feel torn in two by such a difficult decision.

Or, is there a court proceeding coming up where you and your brother will be required to tell the court which parent you would rather have legal custody of you?

Regardless, it's a huge decision and one that is being pushed on you by others. Unfortunately, it sounds as though your parents are feeling their own pain more than yours and are pushing you into the middle of a messy divorce.

Let me ask you some practical questions...

Which of your parents is best likely to see to your needs with respect to your education and your future?

And, which of your parents is best likely to accept that you and your brother are not adults and shouldn't be expected to take on the burdens of an adult dilemma?

Once you think about these questions from your own position, it may not be a bad idea to ask each of your parents how they would answer them (maybe not, I don't know your parents). If nothing else, it may demonstrate to them that they are putting you in the middle of a situation that is either beyond your ability to comprehend (sometimes grownups only tell their kids half of the story) or that they are expecting you to be the grown-up while they are acting childish.

Best wishes to you and your brother, Help-Me. I hope it all turns out for the best.

Keep talking here as much as you'd like.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 05:08 pm
@Help-Me,
Maybe u can explain how u feel to your mother
and try to help them reconcile ?

Promote forgiveness over holding a grudge ?

David
eoe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 05:14 pm
Has your mother actually said that she will prevent your father from seeing you and your brother?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 05:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Again, we don't know the age of the poster but putting a reconciliation on the shoulders of a child/adolescent/teen is a heavy burden.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 05:35 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Again, we don't know the age of the poster but putting
a reconciliation on the shoulders of a child/adolescent/teen is a heavy burden.

The poster considers the extant situation to be an emergency.
In emergencies, everyone who is to be saved
needs to be able to help to achieve the result that he or she desires.

Its like, during the 1800s, putting a rifle into the hands
of a very young child, during an Indian attack,
when no survivors will be anticipated.

David
0 Replies