Value of newly aquired oil painting?

ppyluv

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 06:17 pm
I purchased an oil painting and did some research on it. I found out that the artist is John Lorimer Worden 1876-1954. Does anyone have any idea of the value? What would be the best way to find out? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,964 • Replies: 17
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 06:44 pm
somebody was a Cifvil War fan and was honoring the J L Worden name , since J L Worden was the commander of the Monitor at the battle at HAmpton Roads where the USS minnesota ran aground and the Monitor ran interference to protect it from the Virginia.

ASKART was always a good site but its now a subscription based art market site.Aybe you know a dealer with an unlimited access subscription to AskArt?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 06:56 pm
@ppyluv,
Stick it on the wall. Let you grandkids find a long lost treasure.

You did buy it to stick on the wall didn't you?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 07:17 pm
Your insurance company might be willing to have it appraised if they think it is worth something and they know you will insure it through them.
spendius

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 05:09 am
@boomerang,
And that might open some unnecessary doors for you.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 02:54 pm
@ppyluv,
I'm confused about your question. You had an earlier posting here: http://able2know.org/topic/126572-1#post-3500240

In that thread, you seem to have gotten the answer you sought out. however, there seems to be no info that the Naval Commander John Lorimer Worden 1876-1954 was NOT an artist at all.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 03:02 pm
@ppyluv,
oops...different Lorden.
The Naval Commander, John Lorimer Worden, lived from 12 March 1818 " October 19, 1897.

Right here you wrote:
Re: ppyluv (Post 3505194)
Yes! I found him and spoke with his grandson on the phone!! It was really fun tracing the origin and learning about the history. The artist is indeed John Lorimer Worden!
ppyluv

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:04 pm
@Ragman,
Yes, the Admiral is related but not the artist. I did find the artist's grandson but now am just wanting to find a value. He has promised me a bio and photo of his grandfather. I'm really anxious to get that! I may try to find a local appraiser. Just hoping someone might know something about his art...
spendius

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:14 pm
@ppyluv,
It's long odds that if the artist is not already well known he is likely to have been not much good. But you never know. Hope springs eternal. I can see the $$$$ signs in your eyes.

Don't pack your job in just yet.
ppyluv

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:17 am
@spendius,
ha ha! Nice try, but I don't have a job to pack in. I purchased the painting for my husband for our anniversary. Just trying to find out what to insure it for...
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:27 am
@ppyluv,
Can't you post a copy of it?
ppyluv

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:34 am
@spendius,
A photo of the piece?
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:42 am
@ppyluv,
That's it. There are experts on here it says.
ppyluv

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:53 am
@spendius,
Don't think that's a good idea. Don't know how secure it is. Do others do that?
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:08 am
@ppyluv,
You'll have to trust somebody to get a valuation I'm afraid.

You might have been better giving your husband something inane. Most wives do. A friend of mine once got a home decorating tool kit and a Black and Decker Workmate. Such things calm a lady's nerves.
ppyluv

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 11:49 am
@spendius,
ha ha! Those things wouldn't calm my nerves whatsoever! My husband is NOT a fixer-upper!! I keep him away from power tools, etc, as much as possible! No, he really likes the painting...
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 01:41 pm
@ppyluv,
How could he not?

Were he to express anything else it would call into question your aesthetic sensibilities and I'm sure he wouldn't dare risk that.
ppyluv

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:17 am
@spendius,
Trust me, he's not shy about telling me what he thinks. Also, he's a professional artist himself so he does appreciate the painting Surprised)
0 Replies