Paranoia Striking Deep

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 06:13 pm
An ex-coworker of mine was described by his ex wife as a paranoid schitzophrenic. After I got to know him well enough, I had to agree. If a person parked near his truck, and their door feather swiped his, just enough to leave a tiny mark, he figured it out that they parked precisely at that spot just so that would happen. Another time, he said that people must have put out the word on him, because on parking lots he always parked away from other vehicles, only to come back and it be surrounded by cars. When he went to visit his ex wife, with whom he was fighting a custody battle, he said he saw cars parked all along the hundred twenty five mile way, with the drivers immediately entring notations in their books as he went past. He claimed his phone was tapped, and that for three years his current wife was trying to poisen him. And on and on.

Well, he came to work one morning, and he told me that he and his family were walking around Walmart, when the staff began following them every place they went. The next day, he said he went to the manager and told him, "I am not a thief." He threatened to hang a sign on his back that read, "I am not a thief" if they did not quit following him like that. More paranoia, right? That's what I said.

About a month ago, I went to a Target store, as I have been in the habit of doing, while my wife is off with her sister. This time, instead of walking straight to the movies, then buying or not buying, as was usual, I decided to browse the store, since I did not truly know what else they sell. As I went around looking and thinking of possible future purchases, I came to automotive and put a can of brake fluid in my basket. I looked up from that action to see a store employee trying to watch my actions without me being aware of it. She sort of jerked and her eyes wavered, as I looked into her eyes. Then I pushed my cart down the aisle, off to browse movies. I glanced down the way, and she was trying to keep pace with me, but broke away, when she saw me looking.

I began to see some humor in the situation. I began browsing more departments, just to give the people in there a bit of exercise. I wondered if they carry a hair clipperfor those who cut their hair at home. So I went to see. About midway there, a breathless young man caught up to me. "Excuse me, sir. May I help you? What are you looking for?" I told him and he said he didn't think they had them, but if they did they would be in the department off to my right. I spent about thirty minutes, looking at every single video in there, then paid for my brake fluid and left.

The following Saturday, I went back. I went to the perfume and got my wife's favorite scent and put it in the cart. Then I went all around the store, intending to browse the movies. All along the way, employees would pop up, being very busy, but doing absolutely nothing. As I browsed the movies, a man whom I took to be the manager, brushed past me so quickly and strongly, I had to step back to allow him to pass.

I still occasionally shop there, but go mostly just for laughs now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 897 • Replies: 11
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 06:20 pm
as the economy gets worse, more stores will probably start to act this way

i've noticed lately there's always somebody in the dvd section at best buy, seemingly doing an inventory, never noticed before
dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 06:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hmmmm....our supermarkets still seem pretty relaxed...at least judging from yesterday.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well,store security is one thing, but what about all the other stuff he exhibits paranoia about?? I mean, really... people are parking precisely where he is so he gets a mark on his car? Drivers are noting in books as he drives past? I think he definitely has a problem.

One of my sisters has an ex-BF (from a LONG time ago) who was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic. He stripped, painted himself silver and walked around town shouting. Got arrested and committed, of course. Another time he put an ad in the paper offering to be the HEIR for anyone who didn't have offspring or other family - no charge, of course. Great idea but a little "out there" Smile

It's a sad situation when needy people are walking the streets without the resources they need (meds, home, professionals).
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:20 pm
There's a pool hall down the road from us, opened maybe 4-5 years ago.

I went in there once to see how much it cost, and just to see what it looked like, in case Wally and I wanted to stop by some time (the sign says family entertainment) I stopped there on the way home from work, so was wearing business casual, with the emphasis on business.

I walked in, and paused to look over at the pool tables, which were really nice. About half of them were being used. So not very busy.

This woman about half my age rushes up to me, looking just slightly alarmed, and pointedly asks "May I HELP you?

um, hi, I was just checking to see how much a pool table costs.

She rushed out some reply, and started this "trying to walk me to the door" thing.

Um, wait, could you repeat those costs? I couldn't catch that all. Do you serve food here?

She blurted out the costs again, and a yes to the food, all the while doing everything she could without touching me to get me to leave.

I looked around quickly to see if there was some kind of trouble, maybe rough guys, but ****, this place is situated between a Starbucks and an insurance agency.

I said "I'd like to see a menu. I guess they're up at the bar" and walked over to ask for one. This girl, who was between 22 and 25, shadows me to the bar and stands there while I look at the price of the burgers and chicken wings.

By this time I'm thinking "naw, she can't be thinking I was a hooker or something, my God, I'm carrying a Brahmin handbag!

Must have been her first day on the job, and was told to look out for unsavory characters.
msolga

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:32 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
as the economy gets worse, more stores will probably start to act this way

i've noticed lately there's always somebody in the dvd section at best buy, seemingly doing an inventory, never noticed before

Maybe these stores should go back to selling things over the counter? Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:33 pm
@chai2,
She probably thought you were a narc.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:38 pm
@ehBeth,
twas my thought as well...
chai2

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

twas my thought as well...

well ****

there goes my dream of looking like a whore

if I was a narc, I would have worn latex and a temporary tatto

hey, I watched the movie shirpico, and the other one where he had to wear a bandana sticking out of a particular pocket to "fit in"
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:45 pm
@ehBeth,
I hadn't thought of that. Reminds me of the time I followed an inlaw into the business he owned. The workers did not know me. To a person, they jumped, just the way you would expect somebody with lots of drugs on hand to jump. I smiled and waved, and they relaxed.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:46 pm
@chai2,
On a more realistic note......

When I worked at a nursing agency, the aide that would spend the day with this paranoid woman really earned her money.

This woman said that her "shoes were hypnotizing her" and tuning her thoughts into some gov't agency.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:53 pm
GPS enabled prostitute schools.

For the paranoid pimp.

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/08/23/prostitute_shoes.jpg
0 Replies