50 Things We Know Now (We Didn't Know This Time Last Year)

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 12:34 am
50 Things We Know Now (We Didn't Know This Time Last Year)

Quote:
Well, well, well. Wasn't 2008 a newsy little year?

Believe it or not, stuff happened that had nothing to do with the presidential election, gas prices or Michael Phelps. Not that you'd have an easy time sifting through all the media debris to find the information that actually meant something.

With so many distractions, you probably didn't hear that using Facebook makes you a better employee, or that drinking wine can help you avoid lung cancer, or that doing tai chi makes life easier for asthmatics. (Unless you do it in a public park wearing something approximating pajamas, of course. Then you just look silly.)

For those and other warm, delicious infomuffins, we humbly present our list of stuff you know this year that you didn't know this time last year.

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 01:03 am
Interestingly, if you spend any time scanning the new posts on a daily basis, a good majority of the items on their list were thread starters here on A2K in the past year.

Well done, news hounds!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 09:30 am
Whoa! #50 is a doozy!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 09:46 am
This time last year I didn't know that the favourite would win the big race on Boxing Day. I only think I know it won't win the Gold Cup next March.

I also didn't know that a great nation would treat three fine ladies like Mrs Clinton, the First Lady-elect and the one from Alaska whose name I can't recall, in the manner in which it did. It was as if gallantry could go walkies in the interest of a higher calling.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 09:54 am
Men with rounded faces, soft jaw lines, thin eyebrows, bright eyes, small nostrils, large mouths, thin lips, a warm, bright complexion and no facial hair are considered the most trustworthy, according to "modern-day facial stereotyping."

Hmm. No wonder people give me dirty looks so often.
spendius

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:31 am
@edgarblythe,
I certainly didn't know that this time last year Ed. I had always thought that blokes answering to the description you have given were the most low-down, devious skunks it is possible to imagine.

I myself have a longish face, inflexible jaw lines, thick eyebrows curling up at the corners, eyes like piss-holes in the sawdust, flaring nostrils, average mouth, average lips and a somewhat sallow and nervously expectant complexion and a bushy beard.

Am I to take it that "modern-day facial stereotyping" , who or what that is, is a credible source which we can trust.

I think that a guy who stands at a mirror every morning scraping his face with a sharp blade, and looking every bit the sap he is in the process, might just be doing it so he can go to the Either Way Up Club once a week. There is vanity all over it. Especially when there's a moustache involved. So I don't go with your source. It was flattering its audience. Giving the egos a blow-job. Tried and tested. It sells.

One has to wonder why they feel the need to be told they are trustworthy again and again.

I get black looks too.

Our Father always has a beard.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 03:49 pm
Men with rounded faces, soft jaw lines, thin eyebrows, bright eyes, small nostrils, large mouths, thin lips, a warm, bright complexion and no facial hair are considered the most trustworthy, according to "modern-day facial stereotyping."

Please give me the name of someone who fits this description -

I have Drew Carey in mind, but I really don't trust him. Then there's The Donald - and no way would I trust him!
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 03:56 pm
And foot melanoma has me scared!

Ye gads!

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 05:50 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I also didn't know that a great nation would treat three fine ladies like Mrs Clinton, the First Lady-elect and the one from Alaska whose name I can't recall, in the manner in which it did.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 05:54 am
Investing in Lehman Brothers wasn't the best idea I've had.
0 Replies