President-Elect Obama and NASA

mysteryman

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:37 pm
@rabel22,
Here are your exact words...

Quote:
We need to have a military that can defend our borders, which i am not sure we have at this time and leave the rest of the world to it self.

Please show me where you specified MILITARY AID.
You said "leave the rest of the world to itself", so that means cutting off ALL aid.

rabel22

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:21 am
@mysteryman,
Post it in its entireity and I will debate with you. I am not going to reply to a sentenance you cherry picked from a longer post. By only pasting part of the post you changed the meaning of the post. Or else you are not able to comprehend a simple post.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 04:09 am
@mysteryman,
You are wasting your time arguing with an illiterate half wit. He can't even fomr a sentenance.
old europe

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 04:12 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:
He can't even fomr a sentenance.

What?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 07:23 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

You are wasting your time arguing with an illiterate half wit.
He can't even fomr a sentenance.

Are you a commie, Comrade Fount ?

David
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 09:24 am
@rabel22,
rabel22 wrote:

What we seem to be discussing here is governments ability to finance exploration. They are the only organization with the ability to do so. I hope and believe that government will finance exploration in spite of the idiot politicians. Perhaps we will eventually educate the public so they will elect politicians who truly have the good of the public in mind. More blowing in the wind!!! We are doing things that were deemed impossible 100 years ago why not even more changes in the next 100 years. Our main problem is the inability too look into the future and hope for change. Like it or not big business is one of the things that are holding us back. They invest a dollar and than squeeze it untill it returns 2 dollars. Good for business but most times not so good for the public.
Someone needs to take the long view. A civilization can't do very well if all members take only the ultra-short term view of everything.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 10:00 am
I guess I was right to be suspicious. From CBS News today:

Quote:
Report: Obama Budget to Scrub Moon Mission

Posted by Sean Alfano

(NASA)Instead of blasting off to the moon, NASA's hopes for a manned mission there have been blasted to pieces, sources in the White House, Congress and NASA tell the Orlando Sentinel.

They tell the paper that the president's budget, which will be released next week, will not allocate the money needed to fund the Constellation program that aimed to return humans to the moon by 2020.

"We certainly don't need to go back to the moon," one administration official told the paper.

Money instead will go toward NASA's development of a "heavy-lift" rocket that will allow humans and robots the chance to explore Earth's orbit, though the Sentinel reports that concept is still decades away from being a reality.

The sources add that the government will also invest money into private companies developing rockets and capsules that could serve as "space taxis" for astronauts headed to the International Space Station.

President Obama is likely to ask Congress for a spending freeze of up to three years on certain domestic programs during his State of the Union speech Wednesday. Administration officials say the freeze should not effect the 2010 NASA budget and may actually receive a boost of $200 to $300 million.

The current NASA budget is close to $19 billion, the Sentinel reports.

The budget, according to one administration official quoted, will tell Congress that NASA won't be able to design programs just to create jobs in their districts. "That's the view of the president," the official said.

Link: http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/27/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6146453.shtml?tag=stack
engineer

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:35 am
@Brandon9000,
Everyone wants to go back to the moon, but no one is stepping up with tax dollars. It's always "cut all that waste and there will be plenty of money."
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:50 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Everyone wants to go back to the moon, but no one is stepping up with tax dollars. It's always "cut all that waste and there will be plenty of money."

It doesn't help if the president is opposed to it. And so we flounder around in orbit for another few years until someone forward-looking gets into the job. Even when the decision is made to begin the exploration of space, there will be a long lag until things actually begin to happen. I keep hoping to see some progress in my lifetime.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:03 pm
This is actually a smart idea, as going to the moon is dumb. Exploiting Near-Earth Orbits and the asteroid belt should be the primary and exclusive mission of our space agency at this time.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

This is actually a smart idea, as going to the moon is dumb. Exploiting Near-Earth Orbits and the asteroid belt should be the primary and exclusive mission of our space agency at this time.

Cycloptichorn

We've been sending men exclusively into orbit for a long, long time. When do you envision beginning the work of settling space? 10 years? 50? Never?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:31 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

We've been sending men exclusively into orbit for a long, long time. When do you envision beginning the work of settling space? 10 years? 50? Never?

I expect it to begin right now. Or, at least, it should.

However, this is not inconsistent with my recommendations. Settling space is a far more useful short-term goal then settling the Moon. A moon settlement will have practically zero industrial or commercial benefit at this time due to the distance from the Earth and the cost involved in getting there. On the other hand, establishing colonies in space stations in NEO's is far more productive and would assist our goal of increasing human utilization of space to a far greater extent than our current amount.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I expect it to begin right now. Or, at least, it should.

However, this is not inconsistent with my recommendations. Settling space is a far more useful short-term goal then settling the Moon. A moon settlement will have practically zero industrial or commercial benefit at this time due to the distance from the Earth and the cost involved in getting there. On the other hand, establishing colonies in space stations in NEO's is far more productive and would assist our goal of increasing human utilization of space to a far greater extent than our current amount.

Cycloptichorn

Does Obama actually have a plan to establish colonies in Near Earth Orbit or is he just cutting out the moon program? I agree that using NEO colonies as a stepping stone to more distant colonies would be reasonable, if that were his intention, but has he or his people said word one to indicate such an intention? I read this as just wallowing around with things like the space station for another few decades based on not giving a crap for turning us into a spacefaring race. Personally, I don't give a damn if some teacher's 3rd grade class wants to study how carrots grow in zero-G.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:51 pm
@Brandon9000,
Well, they are shunting money towards the BDB (big dumb boosters) that we would need to get NEO facilities started, but I haven't seen any concerted push in that direction either.

So the situation is obviously not ideal; but cutting the moon mission is no big deal either.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Well, they are shunting money towards the BDB (big dumb boosters) that we would need to get NEO facilities started, but I haven't seen any concerted push in that direction either.

So the situation is obviously not ideal; but cutting the moon mission is no big deal either.

Cycloptichorn

It would be no big deal if he is thinking of building colonies in NEO, of which there is apparently no indication. It would be no big deal if it were cut and another destination for settlement substituted, e.g. Mars. But it is a big deal if it is being cut because he is just another politician who isn't interested in putting the human race into space, because he cannot see how it will help get him re-elected. In order for it to be no big deal, there would have to be a substitute plan for putting man farther into space than Earth orbit.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:09 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It would be no big deal if he is thinking of building colonies in NEO, of which there is apparently no indication. It would be no big deal if it were cut and another destination for settlement substituted, e.g. Mars. But it is a big deal if it is being cut because he is just another politician who isn't interested in putting the human race into space, because he cannot see how it will help get him re-elected. In order for it to be no big deal, there would have to be a substitute plan for putting man farther into space than Earth orbit.

Sure, I agree. Priorities are not where they should be, re: space exploration.

However, there is this persistent Debt and Recession thing that, if I remember correctly, YOUR political party keeps hammering him over. On a daily basis. You can't bitch about the guy cutting programs while constantly supporting those who are calling for him to cut programs.

Cycloptichorn
engineer

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:50 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

It doesn't help if the president is opposed to it. And so we flounder around in orbit for another few years until someone forward-looking gets into the job.

In today's environment, if a President says he wants to go to space and will raise taxes to do it, he's going to get hammered. I suppose if you had a passionate enough figure, you could sell it, but let's look at the two parties we have. A Republican is not going to advocate for the taxes required to fund a real program, even if he pays lip service to the concept (see Bush). A Democrat is not going to support space exploration when other programs closer to home are going unfunded (see Obama). As a result, the US will not lead future space exploration. Maybe India, China, S. Korea or Japan will have the combination of will and willingness to sacrifice to get there.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Sure, I agree. Priorities are not where they should be, re: space exploration.

However, there is this persistent Debt and Recession thing that, if I remember correctly, YOUR political party keeps hammering him over. On a daily basis. You can't bitch about the guy cutting programs while constantly supporting those who are calling for him to cut programs.

Cycloptichorn

I suppose that many people on both sides are asking for him to reduce the deficit. The politicians will always claim that they cannot finance long term goals because of needs on Earth. It seems to me that exploration and pushing the envelope of human capabilities is vital to a society's health. If I advocate cuting the budget, you may be sure that I don't mean the space program. So, we're condemned to wallow around in orbit for another X years until someone with the ability to appreciate things like space exploration gets into the White House. This is very disappointing. We landed on the Moon in 1969, and now we cannot even do what our ancestors could do with space technology.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:54 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

It doesn't help if the president is opposed to it. And so we flounder around in orbit for another few years until someone forward-looking gets into the job.

In today's environment, if a President says he wants to go to space and will raise taxes to do it, he's going to get hammered. I suppose if you had a passionate enough figure, you could sell it, but let's look at the two parties we have. A Republican is not going to advocate for the taxes required to fund a real program, even if he pays lip service to the concept (see Bush). A Democrat is not going to support space exploration when other programs closer to home are going unfunded (see Obama). As a result, the US will not lead future space exploration. Maybe India, China, S. Korea or Japan will have the combination of will and willingness to sacrifice to get there.

How do you figure that going into space = raising taxes? It doesn't mean raising taxes any more than any other item in the budget does. Just cut something less worthy. The president certainly doesn't seem to have a problem with budget deficits. He just doesn't think this is important.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:54 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

This is very disappointing. We landed on the Moon in 1969, and now we cannot even do what our ancestors could do with space technology.

I disagree with this. I think we could repeat the moon landing today without a lot of effort, just a lot of money.