President-Elect Obama and NASA

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 04:27 pm
Budget redirection, whatever. Until they learn to run the economy equitably and fairly and have a surplus, I am no longer favoring space travel.
Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 05:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
The chances of any sizable human-controlled government being run fairly & equitably over any consequential length of time is astoundingly low.

By your argument, there would never be a space program, thus when (not if) the world becomes uninhabitable (for the reasons given in my post: # 3,897,635 among others) that would spell mankind's end.

Now once Artificial Intelligence reaches fruition government fairness & equity may change in a long-term manner relative to history, but not necessarily for the better.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:19 pm
I should also add: wait until the government has the tools of genetic engineering, perceptual control drugs (for both crowds & individuals), life extension technologies, cybernetics, true autonomous robotics, etc as its tools of the trade if you think the potential for government fairness and equity are disappointing to you at present!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

..It was a political move, by a weak president working in a broken political system, NASA was used as a pawn. What this means now that the few of you who actually cared about the program, to include how ever many at NASA came to belief that the program might actually happen, are upset and demoralized.

Dont take it out on Obama though.

First of all, you're reading Bush's mind, and you haven't even begun to actually demonstrate anything of the kind. Secondly, I will absolutely take it out on the person who decided to remove manned space flight beyond orbit from the drawing board. He could have funded it or not and he chose not to, which means I may never live to see humans do anything significant in space. There are few things Obama could have done which would have alienated me more. Space flight is one of the central interests of my life. The Bush haters take all sorts of things out on Bush which he didn't even do at all, so I think I can blame Obama for his own god damned actions.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Budget redirection, whatever. Until they learn to run the economy equitably and fairly and have a surplus, I am no longer favoring space travel.

If that were the criterion, men wouldn't even have explored the surface of the Earth. Nice going.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:17 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
The Bush haters take all sorts of things out on Bush which he didn't even do at all, so I think I can blame Obama for his own god damned actions.

it is the leaders responsibility to lead in directions that are likely to be fruitful, and a part of that is to choose paths that there is a reasonable chance of convincing potential followers to follow. Mars never had the support of the people who would be asked to pay the bills, and Bush never tried very hard to gather the support. He came up with a grand scheme and then only gave it a tiny bit of money, knowing darn well that there was little chance that the taxpayers would pay for implementing the plan. He kicked the bill paying down the road into the next presidents term, so that the next president would be the bad guy for doing what had to be done. Obama was set up here, so it is not right for you to take the bait.

No matter what your views of Bush are overall, in this case there is no escaping the conclusion that he was ballless. As a result he lead fools like you down the primrose path, and mark my words, this event will leave a bunch of you very jaded. There is no evidence that NASA or space exploration interests Bush AT ALL, but it was a way for him to reach a short term political objective. And as always, he did not care about the long term costs to the nation.

What Obama is on the hook for is is mumbo-jumbo nonsense about what NASA is to do now. We have not had a use for NASA since Apollo, it should be killed, but I doubt that it will be.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:32 pm
Not saying it can be perfect. We were moving in a good direction, at least in part, under Eisenhower and Truman.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:37 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Not saying it can be perfect. We were moving in a good direction, at least in part, under Eisenhower and Truman.

Hey, let's kill all artistic endowments until the economy and society are doing well - especially poetry - long before we kill NASA.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:41 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

...We have not had a use for NASA since Apollo, it should be killed, but I doubt that it will be.

We didnt have a use for it in back then, either, at least not in your terms. In order to see the use for NASA, you have to be capable of long term thinking. If you're firmly mired in your own time period and can't see any further down the road, then nothing forward looking will ever get funded. We have the same use for NASA that the world had for Columbus. Yeah, that's the ticket. No Wright Brothers, either. If man were meant to fly he would have been given wings.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 01:03 am
@Brandon9000,
the purpose of NASA was to get us to the moon, and the reason we went was not for science or out of wonderment, it was psychological. It was to prove to ourselves that were were still the baddest asses on the planet. Once we got to the moon the mission was over, no one cared about space anymore outside of a few geeks here and there.

We cant recapture the spirit for a run at Mars because we have changed. Being macho, swinging the dick and conducting pissing matches in now considered to be damn near a crime. We have become a nation of pansies.

Which goes far in explaining why America can no longer compete with the rest of the world in almost any arena.

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 03:03 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

the purpose of NASA was to get us to the moon, and the reason we went was not for science or out of wonderment, it was psychological. It was to prove to ourselves that were were still the baddest asses on the planet. Once we got to the moon the mission was over, no one cared about space anymore outside of a few geeks here and there.

This is false. Lots and lots of people liked the manned space projects because they saw it as the beginning of a process that would eventually make humans a spacefaring species which would eventually colonize other worlds. Many liked it because it mean advances in science. I am one, and I have met and heard many, many others like me during my lifetime. Your statement is false. It's a pity you can only see an inch in front of your face. Others can see much more.

hawkeye10 wrote:
We cant recapture the spirit for a run at Mars because we have changed. Being macho, swinging the dick and conducting pissing matches in now considered to be damn near a crime. We have become a nation of pansies.

Which goes far in explaining why America can no longer compete with the rest of the world in almost any arena.

This I agree with.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 03:38 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Your statement is false.

You say that but:
The end missions of Apollo were aborted

Skylab was done in place of the rest of apollo, and then promply destroyed

The shuttle was done not for a mission but rather to give nasa something to do

The space station was done not for a mission, but to give the shuttle something to do. Like Skylab it is scheduled to be abandoned within three years of completion, and has to date done almost no science because almost all of the work hours have been used up on housekeeping.

Where is your evidence that America cares about manned flight, and why then for 40 years has it not been translated into NASA accomplishments?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 04:14 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The Ipsos-Reid poll points out:

"Few say a mission sending people to Mars should be NASA's first or second priority - a human Mars mission ranks last on America's list of priorities for the agency. Even those who support the concept of a manned mission to Mars (36 percent) place little priority on developing a plan to send people there. Instead, when asked with the top two priorities of NASA should be, those who support a manned mission to Mars still give top priority to conducting research on the Space Shuttle and the International Space Station (55 percent) or conducting research for U.S. industry (52 percent). Forty-seven percent would select exploring the universe with unmanned probes, while only 38 percent would support sending people to Mars."

"The public is no longer buying a romantic 'human-in-space' mission for NASA. Three-in-five Americans oppose a mission to send people to Mars," the Ipsos-Reid survey said

http://www.space.com/news/nasa_poll_020510.html
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:56 am
Yes, and the public were sooo much behind the great innovations in history, like the voyages of Columbus and the other great explorers or the American Revolution. Major forward-looking advances are conducted by the intelligentsia, not the man in the street. Furthermore, your statement was much, much stronger than a description of the majority opinion. You actually stated that no one cares about space anymore outside of a few geeks, which would mean that something like 99.9% don't care, which I am sure polls would show to be wrong, and which I know to be false based on the people I have met and whose opinions I have heard in my life. As for your other comments:

hawkeye10 wrote:
The end missions of Apollo were aborted

Skylab was done in place of the rest of apollo, and then promply destroyed

Hardly an indication that virtually no one cares about space. Maybe, at most, an indication about the majority, but possibly not even that. Politicians are specifically charaterized by being dominated by short term thinking.

hawkeye10 wrote:
The shuttle was done not for a mission but rather to give nasa something to do

The space station was done not for a mission, but to give the shuttle something to do....

Says who? If one were trying to build up an infrastructore for manned space missions, working in Earth orbit would be the logical first step.

hawkeye10 wrote:
Like Skylab it is scheduled to be abandoned within three years of completion, and has to date done almost no science because almost all of the work hours have been used up on housekeeping.

Please probide a reference to support your claim that the space station has done almost no science.

hawkeye10 wrote:
Where is your evidence that America cares about manned flight, and why then for 40 years has it not been translated into NASA accomplishments?

I didn't say that America cares about manned space flight. I expressed disagreement with your statement that almost no one but a few geeks cares.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:59 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
The Ipsos-Reid poll points out:

"Few say a mission sending people to Mars should be NASA's first or second priority - a human Mars mission ranks last on America's list of priorities for the agency. Even those who support the concept of a manned mission to Mars (36 percent) place little priority on developing a plan to send people there. Instead, when asked with the top two priorities of NASA should be, those who support a manned mission to Mars still give top priority to conducting research on the Space Shuttle and the International Space Station (55 percent) or conducting research for U.S. industry (52 percent). Forty-seven percent would select exploring the universe with unmanned probes, while only 38 percent would support sending people to Mars."

"The public is no longer buying a romantic 'human-in-space' mission for NASA. Three-in-five Americans oppose a mission to send people to Mars," the Ipsos-Reid survey said

http://www.space.com/news/nasa_poll_020510.html

From the above:

"The most recent data show 45 percent of the public agreeing that the benefits of space exploration outweigh the costs..."

Absolute proof that your statement was wrong that no one cares about space but a few geeks, since 45% is a lot more than almost no one.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 06:49 am
@Brandon9000,
Whatever floats your boat.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 04:47 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
"The most recent data show 45 percent of the public agreeing that the benefits of space exploration outweigh the costs..."
Absolute proof that your statement was wrong that no one cares about space but a few geeks, since 45% is a lot more than almost no one. ..."

wow

does that mean that 45% would vote to fund a significant space exploration program if given the chance?

Does that mean that 45% think that space make the priority list of where we spend our limited funds?

Does that mean that 45% would invest into the program the extremely limited time it takes to shoot off an email to their rep asking for space to be funded?

Does that mean that 45% think it is worth the risk to life to send men into space?

No and no and no and no ......

Nasa has been put on a near starvation funding program and been given missions of limited imagination and daring for 40 years because so few people CARE enough to demand more.

Advocate

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:27 pm
While NASA may not be the ultimate rat hole for our money, it is quite close. Manned space projects are hugely expensive and wasteful -- the science can be done with cheap unmanned rockets. Further, the International Space Station is hugely expensive and produces virtually nothing. It is time for NASA to get a huge fiscal haircut.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:17 pm
as I was saying
Quote:
In 1989, President George Bush set new goals to rouse the space program out of its enforced lethargy. A fleet of heavy-lift rockets would be developed for both robotic and human missions beyond low orbit. Astronauts would return to the Moon to establish permanent outposts and then fly to Mars, perhaps by 2019. The response, almost immediately, was inaction.

President George W. Bush made a similar appeal. After the shuttle Columbia’s disaster in 2003, he introduced a “new vision” to revive the floundering space program. It included post-shuttle propulsion systems and crew-carrying vehicles. The goal was a return of astronauts to the Moon by 2020. Sometime after, to Mars.

But the costs of fighting wars while cutting taxes left little money to support the undertaking. Although several billion dollars have already been invested in advanced hardware, the goals seem illusory, and public support seems thin.

Once again, experience brought reminders, so often overlooked, that Apollo was not a realistic model for future endeavors in space exploration. Going to the Moon had been, above all, a campaign in the cold war. The Soviet Union was the feared adversary, even more so after the Sputnik surprise and after Yuri Gagarin’s flight made him the first man in space, in spring 1961.

Early on, the political scientist John M. Logsdon at George Washington University made a study of the decision-making process leading to Apollo. Dr. Logsdon concluded that Apollo was “a product of a specific time in history” and a singular crash program responding to a perceived threat to the country. It did not represent a firm commitment by society to open-ended space exploration

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/09/science/space/09essay.html?pagewanted=1&hp

Untill a few years ago i would say either ramp it up and do something cool, or kill nasa. Now I just say kill it. The people are not behind it, and with so many critical problems now evident with-in our nation there is no chance that the people will get behind space for at least another generation....and then it would only happen after it become clear that we have successfully fixed the core problems of America
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:20 pm
they're gonna let the commies build bases on the moon, and then we're doomed, the godless hordes will be raining missiles down on our heads

OHB has as good as killed us
0 Replies