Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 07:20 am
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/24/bush-rescinds-pardon-brooklyn-developer/

Quote:
President Bush on Wednesday retracted one of the 19 presidential pardons he granted just before the Christmas holiday.

Quote:
A story in the New York Daily News said Toussie's father, Robert, donated $28,500 to the national Republican Party in April. It was his first political donation and came just months before Toussie's pardon petition, the newspaper said.

According to the article, there were other reasons, but IMHO it was the right thing to do.
Since this guys father donated money to the RNC, this way it avoids the appearance of the pardon being bought.

I dont think even the dems will complain about this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,040 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 09:19 am
Honestly, I'm always confused about this tradition of mass pardons near the end of a term. It seems that no matter you politics, you seem to do this as President or Governor.

Can anyone offer some history on this?

Why do the pardons go out?

Why do they go to who they go to in stead of others?

T
K
Oh and yeah, I think it was a wise choice to cancel/reverse the pardon.
mysteryman

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 09:44 am
@Diest TKO,
Article 2, section 2 of the US Constitution gives the President the power anyone, at anytime, for any crime.

Quote:
and he shall have Power to Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

As to why the pardons go out and what started the mass pardons at the end of the year, I honestly dont know the answer to that.

As to who they go to, people can petition the President for pardons, and the President and his staff go thru the petitions and make their decision.
What criteria they use to make those decisions, I dont know.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 10:24 am
@mysteryman,
Oh I don't question the authority. I know they have the power to pardon, but the methodology for picking who is what I can't comprehend.

<sigh*>

T
K
O
mysteryman

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 01:38 pm
@Diest TKO,
I agree.
Personally, I think they just draw names out of a hat.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 08:38 pm
Better to pull names from a hat than a shoe... (couldn't resist).

T
K
O
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 04:32 pm
@Diest TKO,
There's actually an office that reviews the petitions. I believe for the most part that the folks have to have served their punishment, and express remorse. The pardon is erase the stigma of someone being a felon, I think.

This is based on something I read some months ago, though, so my recollections are subject to a reality check.
0 Replies