Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 09:11 am
For a small , possible fracture on a toe, you can not put it into a cast.. but a small splint is enough correct?

I dont really want to go to the doc for this. but I know my toe is broken.
Since you can not cast the little toe.. putting a splint on it is enough right?

anyone else as clutzy as me? Break a toe? after cutting up their finger? After hurting their back? after many other things... ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,370 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 09:29 am
@shewolfnm,
Hey SheW

Oh babe.... you are in the wars a?

Which toe?

Strap two toes together with some elastaplast... or better, micropore. Maybe need to get it checked out tho hun if it's a bad break! Sad

Go to a hospital's emergency department if the following signs or symptoms are present:

Cold, numb, or tingling toes
Blue or gray colored skin
Open wounds, bleeding, or drainage near the broken toe

Broken Toe Treatment

Self-Care at Home
These following things can be done at home to help decrease the pain and swelling, and help the fracture heal properly.

Elevation

Swelling that occurs after the injury worsens pain.

To decrease swelling (and pain), keep the foot raised above the level of the heart as much as possible.

Prop the foot up on some pillows, especially when sleeping. Reclining in a lounge chair is also helpful.

Ice

Put ice in a plastic bag and apply it to the injury for 15-20 minutes every 1-2 hours for the first 1-2 days. Frozen peas or corn may be used in place of ice.

Place a towel between the skin and the bag of ice or frozen peas or corn to protect the skin.

Rest
Avoid strenuous exercise, prolonged standing, or walking.
Crutches may be needed, or a special shoe to wear when walking to avoid putting weight on the fracture while it heals.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/broken_toe/page6_em.htm

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 09:36 am
i will probably go have it x-rayed.
I know it is broken but I do not think it is a bad break.
The toe is dark blue from blood/bruising and swelled up to look like a vienna sausage..

ugh.

im going to destroy this body of mine one day! Laughing
0 Replies

ludar

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 09:38 am
@shewolfnm,
i am a clutz to and i dont think theres any thing more you can do to your toe
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 09:47 am
@shewolfnm,
Once upon a time, I ripped my pinky toe almost off. It was at a ninety degree angle from my foot. I moved it back to its original position, and it popped back into place. At the hospital, the doctor came in, holding a x-ray. ."...your toe is fine,..there is no breaks,....sometimes people hallucinate when in a great deal of pain..." He almost had me believeing, when, by instinct, I minuplated my poor ole toe, and easily, popped it back to a ninety degree angle, to his, and my again, horror.(The skin was sliced at the base, so it did that rather easily)
He wrapped it to its neighbor, and like Izzie stated above, told me to keep an eye on it for the above stated symptoms.

Good luck shewolfm, and Merry Christmas.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:02 am
@shewolfnm,
I have mixed feelings about telling you not to have a doctor look at it. You really have to watch for signs of infection. Breaks like this comeback to haunt you the older you get. It's now arthritis waiting to happen. You might want to drink a little comfrey or boneset (Eupitorium) tea , but overall you should stay off of it You could look up pictures of "infected broken toe" or gangrene on Google images - just in case. If it doesn't look and feel better in a week - get thee to a local clinic. Also, don't take aspirin or any other pain killer that works as a blood thinner.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:17 am
after a bunch of ice, the swelling is down and this is what it looks like

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3130441403_124bbd0fcf.jpg

I hope infection wont be an issue , but you have a point.

I will go see a doc in a few days just to be safe.. but not today. They will be slammed with clutzy people like me ,wanting to get back home for christmas. HA
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:39 am
Ouch, She... looks painful! As to what to do - you know the drill... RICE is nice, remember? Rest, ice, compression bandage, elevate. Poor baby! Hope you feel better soon, girl.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 11:53 am
@shewolfnm,
Broken toes R me.

I've got a couple of little bits of advice.

1. those really cheap foam cosmetic sponges from the anything for a buck store make great toe splints. Cut 'em into toe-size/shaped sections, put one on either side of broken toe, tape to the biggest next-door toe. Put on a sock so no little breezes can disturb the toe.

2. take a cardboard box from the grocery store. Put it on your bed. Put a pillow inside it. Drape a sheet over top. Stick your foot inside, on the pillow. Protects your toe/foot (which will be really sensitive to disturbance) from dogs/cats/kids/bumps/breezes while you're sleeping/resting.
0 Replies