America fails its kids....AGAIN

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:29 pm
Quote:
By Donna St. George
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, December 21, 2008; Page A01

In the Prince George's County community of Riverdale Park, town officials have noted a distressing sign of the national economic downturn: more children left home alone to fend for themselves by working parents too strapped to afford child care.

The problem was discovered by code enforcement officers who inspect apartments in the town of 7,000. They used to come across such cases once every couple of years. Then, six months ago, they found one child left alone, followed by another and another.

In one instance, a kindergarten-age girl was found hiding in a closet, apparently because she was scared, code enforcement officers said. In another, children aged 10 or 12 were missing school to watch their younger siblings.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/20/AR2008122002113.html?hpid=topnews

Having failed over decades to institutionalize (as in plan for) sound child care solutions for America's kids being brought up in families where the new economy demands that both parents work, we now neglect the kids as the recession/depression hits. Way to go America....HECK OF A JOB!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 822 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:18 am
@hawkeye10,
Yep, agreed. It's a patchwork and it never should've been. I suppose one solution is longer, paid-for, maternity/paternity leave. Someone has to care for the child for the first year. Why not make it the mother or father? And make it possible financially? Then after that, school, so at age 1 year, 1 month or so, it's essentially day care and then working into what's more recognizable as school. Costly? Sure. A lot less neglect, though, a lot more people working and making ends meet (did I mention I wanted this to be free for lower income folk? Okay, I'm mentioning it now) and a lot more kids ready for what I guess we'd call real school, e. g. kindergarten and up.

But man, it would cost buckets.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:29 am
@jespah,
For what period is a maternity/paternity leave paid in the USA?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
0 weeks? Shocked
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:03 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote :

Quote:
But man, it would cost buckets.

money seems to have become scarce as "hens' teeth" .
can we just blame bernie madoff ?
it sure would make it easier .

answer to worker asking for raise : "i'd like to give you a raise , but bernie took it all ! " .
banker to loan applicant : "i'd like to give you a loan , but bernie took it all ! " .
maternity leave ? : "sure , i'd like to give you maternity leave , but bernie took it all ! " .

fill in your own requirements and answers as required .
hbg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
For what period is a maternity/paternity leave paid in the USA?

no, no, no, you don't understand. In America we needed to make a law that employers can't DISMISS a person for having a baby, or needing to spend some time taking care of a sick child. http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/posters/fmlaen.pdf
lots of people are not covered by even that, as the business must have at least 50 employees to be forced to do the right thing. And my empression is that most people will not take what the law provides because they fear that their employer will screw them if they do.

Americans talk a good game about the importance of families and how kids are our treasure, but the actions don't match. We also don't support marriage, as couples are hugely finance and time stressed, are are not supported in the culture because as soon as problems arise the majority advise to the couple is to end the marriage (you can do better, you don't deserve THAT, you can't leave you kids in THAT situation, you should leave).

re child care:
Quote:
Childcare for babies and toddlers
While your child is in the baby and toddler stages, you'll pay more. That's because kids this age need more hands-on care and so the center must hire more caregivers. With an average of $8,150 per year ($679 a month), daycare costs for babies and toddlers in the United States range from $4,388 to $14,647 a year ($366 to $1,221 monthly), according to data from the National Association of Child Care Resource & Referral Agencies (NACCRRA).

Topping the charts with costs over $11,000 a year ($917 a month) for baby and toddler daycare are the following states, beginning with the most expensive: Massachusetts, Washington, D.C., Minnesota, New York, Wisconsin, Washington, Pennsylvania, and Maryland.

And at the bottom of the charts, here are the states with daycare costs below $6,000 a year ($500 a month) for baby and toddler daycare, beginning with the least expensive: Louisiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nebraska, Texas, Idaho, North Dakota, South Carolina, Kansas, and Alabama.

Childcare for preschoolers
Costs for daycare for preschool-age children are generally lower, averaging $6,423 a year ($535 a month). Depending on where you live, you'll pay anywhere from $3,794 to $10,920 a year ($316 to $910 a month).

The most expensive states for preschool-age care in a childcare center, with costs over $8,000 a year ($667 a month), beginning with the most expensive, are Washington, D.C., Massachusetts, New York, Minnesota, Oregon, Connecticut, Washington, and New Jersey.

The least expensive states for preschool-age care in a childcare center, with costs of less than $5,000 a year ($417 a month), beginning with the least expensive, are Mississippi, Kentucky, Louisiana, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Idaho, West Virginia, South Carolina, and Alabama

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-youll-spend-on-childcare_1199776.bc

The federal minimum wage is about $15.000 yearly, the median American wage is about $43.000, you do the math. Keep in mind that the median wage is skewed because for three decades that rich have been getting richer and the poor have been getting poorer and the middle class has been dissolving (attempting to stay in the game by piling on family debt, but we all know that THAT **** has just hit the fan) so the situation for the bottom half of American families is even worse than the stats allude to.
jespah

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:51 pm
Let's not cloud this with talk of marriage and any other topics and just talk childcare. $500/month is something that a lot of people simply can't afford. You don't need to be below median or even at median, let alone minimum wage, to find that to be an incredible burden. And that's the cheap stuff.

But it's cheaper than prisons, isn't it? Cheaper than illiteracy, isn't it? I'd rather see kids in schools or centers (or with their parents if it's affordable and preferred), than home alone or the like, left in cars, dumped at the movies, whatever. We as a society do not make it easy to be a parent.

And I say this as a nonparent. And the tax burden for something like this would fall disproportionately on me because I have no one at home who would benefit from it. But I still would support it because even without any kids of my own it is in my best interests for children to better educated and cared for.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thanks.

When you look at the wiki-entry - here linked again - you'll notice that ....

I must admit that we here in Germany aren't caring very well, too. But compared with what is done in the USA...
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I thought that the German answer was to not have kids, or at most one....
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:32 pm
I was at home alone from age 8 until 13 until around 9 PM;
not much of a problem, really. No trouble resulted.

David
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:32 pm
@jespah,
well said, Jes. The town I work in has one public preschool - it is mostly designed for early intervention. Kids who have disabilities are better off if they start catching up before they fall behind (sort of). I know spots are limited, it's only 1/2-day and I think there is a small tuition.

Just checked - it is open to kids at least 3 years old. There is a sliding tuition. Don't know how much the standard is as it wasn't on the advert.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well, with only 1.800 €/month for (and only for 14 months) the paid leave - only couples with a rather high income and/or some capital in the background can afford two children ... most think.
0 Replies