merry andrew is in the hospital

Sglass

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 12:12 pm
@dlowan,
Is it A's birthday in Oz yet?
NickFun

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 12:26 pm
@Sglass,
You can bring Herbie if you'd like. But I live in LA where celebrities are a dime a dozen. We have many great leaders here.
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 02:21 pm
@Sglass,
Oh my yes....6.50 am here....7.20am in Sinney.

Hoppy Boidy Merry!

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 02:25 pm
I am geared up and waiting patiently for Andy's birthday tomorrow - perhaps
we should push the clock ahead in California to meet Boston time. Very Happy
Naaaaaah, I think he'd like to stay 69 for while longer....

edit: (that's years you naughty souls)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 03:54 pm
http://i41.tinypic.com/fnbl1v.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2diiypu.jpg
Sglass

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 04:51 pm
@NickFun,
Herbie is one of us.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 05:00 pm
Looks like Merry will be out of the hospital on his birthday which I am not happy about. The minute they take the tubes out and the patient can stand up straight they push them out of the door. I definately feel he shouldn't go home yet. I am waiting to hear from a doctor.

However he is being offered sterile hospital food. He said he had a cold pancake for breakfast , and dinner has been sitting there for an hour. Oh well.
Izzie

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 06:19 pm
@Sglass,
http://www.superbirthdaysupply.com/members/1017430/uploaded/CEG6670205.JPG

Happy Birthday from the UK Merry Andrew!

Sglass - keep us posted hun - hoping all will be well. x
Sglass

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 06:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Wonderful card Walter. I wish he had access to this thread. He is really down in the chops today and could use some cheering up.

A wonderful Christmas to you our friend!!!!!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 06:57 pm
@Izzie,
Wish you could have hand-delivered t!his card. He'd like that even better.

For some reason I thought you were in Oz, blimey you're a limey
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 10:17 pm
I have a major concern and am looking for guidance.

Andy may be let out of the hospital tomorrow and he really isn't capable of taking care of himself yet. Like yesterday was the first time he has been out of bed and it really is hard for him.

Anyone have any suggestions"

Would really appreciate it. Hell of a Christmas for him.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 10:19 pm
@Sglass,
If none of the Boston crew can help, I will look for links.

Mebbe someone more helpful will come along...

(I hope)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 10:30 pm
@Sglass,
Not sure, Sglas. In little Farmington, NM, we have dial-a-ride, which will take you anywhere in town, on a one day notice. Surely, great big Boston has something similar.

When I got out of the hospital, I had visits from nurses, physical therapists, and home health aids. This was a function of insurance, of course. I could never have afforded it myself.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 10:32 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

I have a major concern and am looking for guidance.

Andy may be let out of the hospital tomorrow and he really isn't capable of taking care of himself yet. Like yesterday was the first time he has been out of bed and it really is hard for him.

Anyone have any suggestions"

Would really appreciate it. Hell of a Christmas for him.

They tried to push me out of the hospital before I was strong enough to be able to even walk to the hospital room's bathroom. I had a talk with my surgeon as well as the head nurse, told them about my living situation (needing to climb stairs to my apartment and living alone with no one that could come help me) and I was able to stay an extra couple of days for physical therapy until I was at least able to get out of bed by myself and make it to a porta potty. The hospital ordered a walker and porta potty to be delivered to me at home. By the time I actually made it home and up the stairs, I was strong enough to not need the use of the walker or porta potty but they were good to have around just in case.

Sglass

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 10:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
I am going to call the hospital tomorrow and see if they have a social services department. I am also going to call Verizon tomorrow and talk to them. I am retired from there and there are supposed to be extended benefits so I best find out what they are and see if they are real.

Andy is just beginning to be aware of what is going on around him and he is not happy about it and I don't know how long it will be before he can travel. He was just beginning to make arrangements for the move over here when this happened, he had given notice on his apartment and was waiting for a lump sum payout from the Teachers fund he was in.

You can't begin to believe how important everyone's support is to him. I read him your messages over the phone since he hasn't access to a computer.

We both really appreciate it.
George

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 10:55 pm
@Sglass,
Ask to speak with the social worker. There is one assigned to each of the
various hospital units. Explain your concerns for his safety. He may be
evaluated and recommended for rehab. Ask to see which rehab facilities are
available and check them out to find the best one.

If he isn't recommended to rehab, the ask about visiting nurses.

Good luck.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 11:15 pm
Happy Birthday, Andrew

Have a wonderful next decade - when they let you out of that zoo!

Cheers
Margo
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 11:40 pm
@Sglass,
https://www.myhospitalwebsite.com/libraryTufts/webdav/view/TuftsNEMC/ForPatientsFamilies/SupportServices/SocialWorkServices/default

Quote:
Social workers are available to patients and families before, during, and after hospitalization. They provide a variety of services that range from individual, family or group counseling to finding accommodations for patients and families who are from out of town. Social workers can also assist patients in planning for their personal safety and accessing protective services, if needed. As a member of the health care team, your social worker routinely consults with hospital staff and will, when appropriate and with your permission, also work collaboratively with

community agencies on your behalf to ensure that you receive optimal care.

8:30 a.m. " 5 p.m. Monday through Friday

Phone: 617-636-5136

https://www.myhospitalwebsite.com/libraryTufts/webdav/view/TuftsNEMC/ForPatientsFamilies/YourHospitalStay/GoingHome

Quote:
Discharge planning begins as soon as you are admitted to the Medical Center. Your attending physician and primary nurse will regularly discuss your course of treatment and progress during your stay. Whenever possible, your discharge will be confirmed the evening before it is scheduled to occur. Please plan to leave the hospital by 10 a.m. on discharge day. We ask that you make necessary transportation arrangements in advance to ensure a timely departure. This allows us to accommodate new patients who need to be admitted.

Before your discharge, your physician and/or primary nurse will explain any medications you will take at home and will inform you of follow-up health care appointments. If necessary, home care services or transfer to another facility will be coordinated for you. Information on your treatment and condition will be sent to your referring physician. If you need an ambulance or other form of transportation when leaving the Medical Center, the unit secretary will make the necessary arrangements. Direct telephone lines for taxis are located in the main lobbies. You are responsible for transportation charges that are billed separately by private companies.

0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 12:18 am
btrflynet thank you so much you are an absolute doll.

Seaglass
Izzie

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 05:47 am
@Sglass,
Hey Sglass.... can't advise you about the protocol over there but.. hun - TELL HIM NOT TO LEAVE. They cannot forcibly remove him....if he isn't well enough he MUST stay there - especially at this time (I understand he doesn't wish to be in hospital) - but it's certainly the safest place for him right now. With the surgery he has had and being on his own when he goes home - he has to feel "safe" and capable of being able to look after himself.

ooooooooooooh.... if I were there I would be stamping my feet for him too(yep, limey stomp stomp stomp)....

Is it at all possible for you to talk to the surgeon - or the sister (if that's the head honcho on the ward) and stressing to them he will be on his own and needs to remain in hospital until he is fit enough to be able to walk around and be able to cook/provide for himself? You know....24-48 hours can make a HUGE difference (sorry, of course you know that) - please, just tell him to say "I can't leave, I can't walk out of here on my own" and get one of the nurses to write it down on his notes.... they surely cannot make him leave - he needs to say he's not able. Darn medical systems...aaaagh.

The other thing ... is the weather. If the snow comes in (not sure of the forecast) - he needs to have food and supplies in - he won't be able to manage that right now. I hope that there will be a friend who can do that for him for a few days - and even just sit a few hours with him - I would imagine (from his posts) he has plenty to say, not being able to talk about anything is frustrating as heck... get thee to a keyboard Merry ....

please let us know what happens Sglass... and do send him our love. Hugs from the Brit Gal <if I could pop over the pond, I certainly would do a "Florence"> <sighs>
0 Replies