What the hell happened to this site?

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:06 am
Wow. The lay out is pretty bad now. Bring back the old site please. This is horrible.

roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:10 am
@blindsided,
<sigh>
aidan

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:44 am
@roger,
I don't understand this whole voting thing. Do you start out with a one and if you get negative votes start declining? Or do you start out with a neutral zero? I just made a really innocuous response to a fairly innocuous question on a somewhat unpopular thread (I assume - it had a negative 4) and my post came up with a one with no response.

I know I could study this and figure it all out - but I'm not able to access the internet or even a computer on a regular basis - so I feel all at sea here.

Also - I had a private message that I didn't have the opportunity to answer - is that option gone forever? And is there anywhere that all of these questions answered in one thread at one spot?

I do miss seeing everything that is available in one easy spot - I really liked the at a glance feature...not to complain, but can someone explain what the positive new features are that I may just be missing because I'm too technologically impaired to figure them out?

And to get on acronyms - do I always need to log in and go to my last acronym posted or is there some other way to find the acronym thread and the last post quickly?

I'd appreciate any help. I'm really not a lazy person - it just takes me a while to figure technological stuff out, and I can feel that I'm doing everything the long way, and probably will be for quite a while.
sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:52 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I don't understand this whole voting thing. Do you start out with a one and if you get negative votes start declining? Or do you start out with a neutral zero? I just made a really innocuous response to a fairly innocuous question on a somewhat unpopular thread (I assume - it had a negative 4) and my post came up with a one with no response.

It starts at one (you are assumed to have approved of your own post or topic, so you are automatically assigned your own vote, though you can vote yourself down if you want).

Quote:
Also - I had a private message that I didn't have the opportunity to answer - is that option gone forever?

PMs are gone temporarily. No word on when they'll be back -- I think I saw "weeks" somewhere but I am not certain of that.

Quote:
And is there anywhere that all of these questions answered in one thread at one spot?

There are lots of good "how-to"-type discussions that you can find here:

http://able2know.org/tag/able2know/

But I'll try to answer all of these specific questions you have, since the how-to's are pretty wide-ranging.

Quote:
I do miss seeing everything that is available in one easy spot - I really liked the at a glance feature...not to complain, but can someone explain what the positive new features are that I may just be missing because I'm too technologically impaired to figure them out?

On the home page, make the following selections:

Topic age: All time
Sort by: New posts

That should get you what you want.

Quote:
And to get on acronyms - do I always need to log in and go to my last acronym posted or is there some other way to find the acronym thread and the last post quickly?

You can tag the Acronym thread. Then it will appear in your "my tags." (Let me know if you need further directions on how to tag.

edit: Here's Craven explaining tags:

http://able2know.org/topic/121067-1

Still happy to help if that doesn't cover it for you tho.
Miller

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:45 am
@blindsided,
How will this modification affect membership?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:59 pm
@blindsided,
I agree 100%. I've been trying to use the new site and it just doesn't have a good feel at all. I suppose it's one of those "evolve or die" type decisions but in this case, it appears to have evolved into something really ugly and without legs.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:01 pm
@cjhsa,
Careful, the Defenders of the Faith don't like speech or opinions like that.

Cycloptichorn
yitwail

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
unless they've already chosen to Ignore the user expressing the opinion Razz

by the way, cj, i'm only ignoring 2 users and you're not one of them, so i hope you're not ignoring me.
Below viewing threshold (view)
cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:22 pm
@yitwail,
I have no intention of ignoring anyone.
cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:24 pm
@blindsided,
Agreed. They should have been able to modernize the database and middleware without destroying the user interface.
yitwail

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:28 pm
@cjhsa,
good for you, cj. i'm only ignoring someone because he personally attacked me in a vicious way & never apologized.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:24 pm
I'm so glad to find that I'm not the only Luddite to hate, abhor and detest this aberration of a website.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:31 pm
@cjhsa,
There are more changes coming. I think they'll improve the experience for some of us - and make it more comfortable for new posters as they arrive.
cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:03 pm
@ehBeth,
New posters? Do you mean like Farrah Fawcett reruns?

Nobody is going to join something that looks like an Obamasshole.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:24 pm
@sozobe,
Soz-thanks for all your help. I just got back to find it. I appreciate the time you took.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:32 pm
@aidan,
Aidan, you gotta get some kinda avatar, I thought you were "shooter" til I adjusted my glasses...

Hey on the side,

RH
aidan

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 05:08 am
@Rockhead,
I like my little purple quilt square. When I first saw it I thought, 'Wow- who picked that for me - how did they know I love quilts?' Then I saw everyone elses and felt much less special - but still- I do like the color and it reminds me of a cross between those little paper snowflakes I used to make as a kid and a quilt square- so yeah - it works for me right now.

When I get my computer back and set up and my pictures at my disposal maybe I'll change it to something more personalized - maybe I'll put a picture of my beautiful dog (who is also my best friend). She's on my mind and I miss her - she's in quarantine and will be for another two months. Saw her yesterday though and she still loves me even though I'm putting her through this to get her back to England - so that makes me feel a little better.

(What's a shooter- besides a drink?)
Rockhead

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:33 pm
@aidan,
shooter is shixsa is little cj...

cjhsa aka shooter...

He's ok, just overcompensating, and listening to too much Ted.

This is actually a whinge...

WHERE THE HELL IS THE WAHT MADE YOU SMILE TODAY THRED...

I actually smiled today, and wanted to speak on it...

Oh well.

(thanks for the tune, Aidan)
Izzie

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:38 pm
@Rockhead,
http://able2know.org/topic/3742-367

Very Happy

(I am not awake....I am asleep!)
0 Replies