Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:12 am
I've read about a connect-the-dots exercise for drawing. However, the instructions are never very specific. "Put 2 dots on a piece of paper, and connect them with a straight line freehand". I'm achieving little better than chimplike proficiency. So,
1. How long should the lines be?/ How big should the paper be?
2. How should I hold my pencil?
3. Fast or slow?
4. What should I be looking at?
5. How straight is straight so I can move on to the next exercise?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,049 • Replies: 2
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:04 am
@DwightSketch,
My two minute scientific inquiry shows that I can draw a fairly straight, most accurate connect the dots this way:

With your hand flat on the paper, draw the dots on either side of your fingers (this seemed to help because of the range my wrist moves quickly.

Put your pencil on the first dot.

Focus on the second dot.

Draw the line as fast as you can.

I don't think you're looking for ruler straight but the appearance of straight.
0 Replies

peter whitley

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:00 pm
What a funny exercise. I suppose the closer your dots are together, the easier the task. I'm a passable technical illustrator and love hand-drawn diagrams. One subject that steadied my hand immeasurably was drawing built environments freehand. In particular, blocking in mass and form using light, unbroken lines to compose the elements helped me to learn to put a line where I wanted it.

I think just gratuitously drawing lines connecting dots seems a little too abstract and academic to be much of a help. I'd suggest drawing those things you really want to render...your interest and passion will push you through all of the hundreds of small challenges much more forcefully if you're pushing for a particular goal.

AFTERTHOUGHT: I'm presuming that your question is more about how to improve the steadiness and conviction of your line rather than the specific exercise you mention...though I could be wrong. Also, incidentally, when I worked in a sign-painting shop, my mentor told me to always look where the brush is going to be and never where it is.
0 Replies