Keyhole Gallbladder removal 2 days ago -still in pain

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 04:25 am
Hi, I had my gallbladder removed by keyhole surgery on Sat night. Its now Tuesday morning and I'm still in pain - not loads but I struggle to carry my 5 month old baby and feel like I've been kicked in the stomach!! My husband thinks I am using my surgery as an excuse for not doing much around the house. Do you know how long it takes to get back to normal? Going to show hubby the answers so he understands I'm not being lazy!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 21,665 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 04:28 am
@kbruce1980,
I haven't been through it, myself, but I know people who have. Two days are not enough, and why are you carrying that baby? Give yourself a break.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 04:51 am
I had my gall bladder removed and although it was not a normal keyhole procedure like yours...my recovery time was months and months and I have digestive problems....damn painful ones that recur several times a yeat now...three years later.

You have lost a part of your body that helps digest your food and you will have to adjust to that ...and in all probability modify your diet. Permanently. 2 days...Jesus. Tell hubby to pick the baby up. Rest a little , drink a LOT of water and don't be a hero with the pain. Keep some pain meds in your system at all times for a few days. You won't get hooked or any such nonsense.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 06:07 am
@kbruce1980,
Quote:
My husband thinks I am using my surgery as an excuse for not doing much around the house.

kbruce1980- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I think that the problem is with your husband. Good grief girl, you had your surgery just a couple of days ago. With any surgery, you need to recover from the anaesthesia. Even though your surgery was a keyhole, there is still recovery time. In addition, with gall bladder surgery, it takes some time for the body to get used to digesting w/o a gall bladder. It probably is not a good idea to be dragging a heavy weight like a baby until your insides heal.

How is your relationship with your husband, in general? Is he usually supportive? If it were me, I would have a long, serious talk with him. It sounds to me that he is unable, or unwilling to recognize that you need to take it easy for awhile.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 07:05 am
If by keyhole you mean laproscopic surgery, I had my gallbladder removed in that fashion. I was in the hospital for 2 days and it took about a week before I was able to eliminate the pain pills.

You are probably doing more damage than good to your body by lifting your baby and that is why you are continuing to be in pain. If you've ever had a strained muscle in your body, you know it hurts when you try to use it strenuously. Surgery is similar to that. You are using muscles and body tissues that have been recently traumatized. They need time to heal.

Rather than showing your husband a bunch of comments on a message board, show him the advice on some medical sites.

Bottom line, if it goes past 7 days and you are still in extreme pain, you should call your doctor to be sure there are no unknown complications.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/gallbladder_removal.html

You will usually be able to go home once you have made a full recovery from the anaesthesia. However, you will need to arrange for someone to drive you home and then stay with you for the first 24 hours.

If you need them, continue taking painkillers as advised by the hospital. General anaesthesia can temporarily affect your co-ordination and reasoning skills, so you should not drink alcohol, operate machinery or sign legal documents for 48 hours afterwards.

Normal activities, including returning to work, can usually be resumed after about a week. You must follow your surgeon's advice about driving. You shouldn't drive until you feel you could do an emergency stop without discomfort. If you are in any doubt about driving, please contact your motor insurer so that you are aware of their recommendations, and always follow your surgeon's advice.

Dissolvable stitches will disappear in about seven to 10 days. Any scarring should fade with time.

About two out of 10 people (20 percent) will have diarrhoea after having their gallbladder removed. Eating plenty of high fibre foods such as brown rice, wholemeal bread and pasta can help absorb excess water and make your bowel movement more bulky.

Laparoscopic cholecystectomy is commonly performed and generally safe. For most people the benefits, in terms of improved symptoms, are much greater than the disadvantages. However, all surgery carries an element of risk. In order to make an informed decision and give your consent, you need to be aware of the possible side-effects and the risk of complications.

Side-effects
These are the unwanted but mostly temporary effects of a successful treatment. An example of a side-effect is feeling sick as a result of the anaesthetic or painkillers.

You are likely to feel some pain in the abdomen as well as "referred pain" in the tips of your shoulders - caused by the gas used to inflate the abdomen. This usually disappears within 48 hours or so.

Complications
This is when problems occur during or after the operation. Most people are not affected but the main possible complications of any surgery are an unexpected reaction to the anaesthetic, excessive bleeding, infection or developing a blood clot in a vein in the leg (deep vein thrombosis, DVT). To help prevent this, most people are given compression stockings to wear during the operation. Complications may require further treatment such as returning to theatre to stop bleeding, or antibiotics to deal with an infection.

Other complications specific to keyhole gallbladder surgery are uncommon but can include accidental damage to other organs in the abdomen (such as the bile duct, bowel, bladder, liver or major blood vessels) requiring further surgery to repair the damage. In extremely rare cases, these complications can be fatal.

Your surgeon will be experienced at performing laparoscopies, but even so a few are not successfully completed and the abdomen may need to be opened. This is known as conversion to open cholecystectomy.

You may have ongoing abdominal symptoms, such as pain, bloating, wind and diarrhoea. These may require further investigation and treatment.

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 07:55 am
@kbruce1980,
I had my gallbladder removed a number of years ago by keyhole surgery - the surgery was not so difficult, the problems I had after removal did go.... but it took weeks to feel properly better - the main after-effect being shoulder pain which was incredibly painful!

Carrying a baby is not a good idea - you have internal stitches and lifting could cause you unnecessary problems. Take care and... take it easy for a while longer. That must be difficult with a baby - but doing "chores"... nah... consider your health more important than the chores.

Hope you feel better soon.

0 Replies

katiebutcher

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 12:18 am
@kbruce1980,
Your not suppose to lift anything heavier then five pounds after your surgery and SHOULDNT for at least two weeks. My doctor told me 6 weeks, but after I went back to get my stiches removed (two weeks) he said I could go back to driving and lifting things...

After you have your gallbladder removed your suppose to lay in bed and have help getting up and down after surgery. Tell your husband to get off rump and help around the house, you had surgery, you won't bounce back up. I've had mine taken out, had it taken out a month ago and yes, it's a terrible pain. I wanted to kill myself after a few days because it hurt so much. I had the keyhole surgery, not fun but I healed pretty fast.
0 Replies

doadster

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:11 pm
@kbruce1980,
You not only needed to lose a body part you needed to lose 175 lbs or so aka, your husband!
pattypatty

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:09 am
@doadster,
I had gallblader removed on Sat it might be keyhole but it still MAJOR SURGERY. put that baby down you shouldn't be carying it. and you should only be doing light duties 4 two weeks at least. your Husband is a moroon.
he should be looking after you and the baby.or you will end up back in hospital
0 Replies