Black Friday Madness: Stampede Kills Man, Pregnant Woman Miscarries in Valley Stream Walmart

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 02:28 pm
A Walmart worker was trampled to death in a Long Island Walmart on the morning of Black Friday - and a pregnant woman suffered a miscarriage after hundreds of deal-seeking people rushed the doors of the retail store.

Full report

I hope, you got what you wanted: unhurt.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 6,643 • Replies: 66

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 02:46 pm
Walmart is notorious for being cheap and for not looking out for the welfare of their employees. Not resourcing crowd control is par for the course.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 03:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
You had a bunch of people acting like animals rushing the store, and you are blaming Wal-Mart???
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 03:14 pm
@Phoenix32890,
ya, because what the people did happens so often that it should be expected, and controlled. Merchants went out of their way to ramp up demand for opening sales today, they have been very honest in the press about what they were doing and why (they are scared they can't clear the shelves this year) . If they are going to promote hysteria then they need to control it if it develops.

Mark my words: the family of the deceased will sue Walmart, and will win.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 03:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
At 3:30 a.m., store employees called the Nassau police to report that the crowd was growing quickly, the police said. Officers came by to try to organize the line, but were called away to a Circuit City, a Best Buy and a B.J.’s Wholesale Club nearby, to deal with crowds there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/business/29walmart.html?_r=1

the merchants caused this problem, and then did not resource the corrective action. Public sector public safety resources were not equipped to handle the problem. The public sector resources are finite and known, the merchants had the choice of a) not promoting the hysteria, or b) paying for security personnel to handle the crowds. Creating the hysteria and then doing nothing was not a responsible course of action...Walmart is fully liable for this death.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 03:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Dys had a thread on this too, not that more than one isn't a good thing. Crowds can be pretty scary, and crowd control is an effort worth pursuing. Every so often we hear about people being crushed against a fence at some sporting event, yikes.

Dys was saying they had a security guard and a number machine outside our wee little butcher shoppe earlier this week. Unusual - that shop is routinely serene, with camaraderie between the staff and customers.. plenty of air space between the tea selection aisle and the rack of good olive oils..
That's one place I wouldn't mind getting a job. But not on thanksgiving week.

I seem to remember another 'black friday' or day after christmas trampling death a few years ago. Not sure if it was at a WalMart.

I don't blame them, them being Walmart (however you spell that), for one such event - but I would think they would improve crowd entry into the store by some method in the future. They could be found liable, dunno - I'm no legal beagle.

It can be good to be in a crowd - I remember Joan Baez singing acapella (sp?) at the San Diego sports arena. Pretty much a stunned crowd of listeners that evening. Ok, ok, maybe stoned too, but I took it as some kind of group awe.

Largest crowd I was ever in was at Soldiers Field in Chicago for Mary's Day in 1954 - I was twelve. (Looking back, my mother, whose bright idea that was, must have been exhausted when we finally got home.) Estimated to be a 1/2 million people in and around the event... or that's the number I remember.

I wouldn't go to Obama's inaugural if you paid me (estimated at a million?), though I plan to enjoy hearing about it. I also will skip, thank you anyway, being in a Sienese palio crown in the center area of the Campo mid 90 second horse race.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 03:55 pm
At the Bear Cave...we don't feel we've truly honored the Lord and Savior of mankind until we've kicked someone in the balls, ripped their Gears Of War game from their grasp, told them to **** themselves and then eviscerated and eaten one of their children right there in aisle 6.

What's the problem?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:00 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Reliability.

I simply don't believe you..
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:23 pm
No deal is gonna get me up at four in the morning to go shopping.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
in mecca people get killed in the pilgrimage = in the U.S. people get killed going shopping

which is the sweeter death ?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:38 pm
@hamburger,
in this case the guy killed was a temporary walmart employee, presumably employed at minimum wage and trained little if at all, not a shopper. He did not sign up for this by joining the mob as those who die at Pilgrimage do.

Quote:
On Friday, Wal-Mart released a statement saying that the man who was killed had been working for Wal-Mart through a temp agency. The company called the death “a tragic situation,” and said it was working with police.

“The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority,” Wal-Mart said in a statement.

Lieutenant Fleming said that the store “could have done more” to prevent the melee.

“I’ve heard other people call this an accident, but it’s not,” he said. “This certainly was foreseeable

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/business/29walmart.html?hp
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:54 pm
@hamburger,
I don't think this has to do with shopping madness or mecca madness or soccer madness - it has to do with human behavior.

Re Walmart or my butcher shop, if you advertise, beware. I've followed advertising since the early fifties when my father worked at Foote Cone and Belding, and I had, for moments at a time, some interest in doing that for a living (vying with other strange interests, but never mind).

You call for crowds, you need to maintain crowd control. Like I said, I can see a pass for the first time, but none of this should be some new surprise.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:13 am
@hawkeye10,
A baaa from the herd.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:14 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

They probably will sue, but they will not win.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:17 am
I hate crowds.

If I saw one at Walmarts that promised, even remotely, danger, I would have turned away and went home.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:

They probably will sue, but they will not win.

Walmart would settle for the right amount.

I don't think there's enough evidence to blame them like Hawk is, they spoke of a lot of precautions that they took that I think were reasonable to assume were sufficient.

It's worth noting that the crowd tore the doors off and didn't want to stop shopping even after they were informed that they killed someone. This is a bit more zealous than I think they can have reasonably expected. The man who died was part of a human wall they formed to try to prevent things from getting out of hand, and was part of their very efforts to prevent the mob from becoming dangerous.

If anyone deserves to be punished and sued, it's the members of the mob, who didn't stop rushing in even when they were attending to the dying man.

Quote:
Roughly 2,000 people gathered outside the Wal-Mart's doors in the predawn darkness.

Chanting "push the doors in," the crowd pressed against the glass as the clock ticked down to the 5 a.m. opening.

Sensing catastrophe, nervous employees formed a human chain inside the entrance to slow down the mass of shoppers.

It didn't work.

The mob barreled in and overwhelmed workers.

"They were jumping over the barricades and breaking down the door," said Pat Alexander, 53, of Crown Heights, Brooklyn. "Everyone was screaming. You just had to keep walking on your toes to keep from falling over."

After the throng toppled Damour, his fellow employees had to fight through the crowd to help him, police said.

Witness Kimberly Cribbs said shoppers acted like "savages."

"When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling, 'I've been on line since Friday morning!'" Cribbs said. "They kept shopping."

When paramedics arrived, Damour's condition was grave.

"They were pumping his chest, trying to bring him back, and there was nothing," said Dennis Smokes, 36, a Wal-Mart worker.

Damour was taken to Franklin Hospital and pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m.

Hank Mullany, president of Wal-Mart's northeast division, said the company took extraordinary safety precautions.

"We expected a large crowd this morning and added additional internal security, additional third-party security, additional store associates and we worked closely with the Nassau County police," he said in a statement.

"We also erected barricades. Despite all of our precautions, this unfortunate event occurred."

I hope the store cameras can bring some of these people to justice.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:34 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Walmart would settle for the right amount.

The "right" amount would have to be something significantly less than what the plaintiff demanded.

You are making a statement based upon your generalized and superficial knowledge of civil law suits.

If you had any idea of what Walmart's corporate response to lawsuits was, you might be able to make an intelligent contribution in this regard.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm not deeply familiar with Walmart's legal history, but I'm at least as superficially familiar with it as you are. I know of their litigious roots and litigious history, but I really do think they'd want to settle this particular one if they can. The sister right now is not directing any anger their way, and he was likely instructed to form a human barricade by a superior.

When they feel they are right, they do litigate but this is a case where I think they can't help but feel some responsibility for the man's death. Someone told him to stand there and try to stop the crowd that killed him.

Perhaps I'm being naive to think that they'd feel this way, but hell I like to think people are basically decent folk.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:55 am
Quote:
"I don't know what it's worth to Wal-Mart or to any of these stores that run these sales events," Fleming said, "but it has become common knowledge that large crowds do gather on the Friday after Thanksgiving in response to these sales and in an effort to do their holiday shopping at the cheapest prices.

"I think it is incumbent upon the commercial establishments to recognize that this has the potential to occur at any store. Today, it happened to be Wal-Mart. It could have been any other store where hundreds and hundreds of people gather."

Asked whether the security had been adequate, Fleming said, "In light of the outcome, in hindsight, the answer is obviously no. ... This crowd was out of control
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/28/black.friday.violence/index.html

Quote:
The United Food and Commercial Workers Union’s Local 1500 Chapter, which represents about 23,000 grocery workers in the New York City region, called on the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the New York State Labor Department and the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office to investigate the incident. Wal-Mart workers are not unionized.

“When you bring in temporary workers, there’s a responsibility whether they’re temporary or not to train and protect those people, and that obviously did not happen here,” Local 1500 spokesman Pat Purcell said in a telephone interview.

OSHA sent an inspector to the store this morning to investigate the incident, said Ted Fitzgerald, a Boston-based spokesman for the agency. The New York Labor Department and the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aviWbQ4bOa1w
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 08:39 am
I was looking online at different store's sales...there wasn't one thing that stuck out to me as some phenomenal deal. Gotta love how people are collectively so f'n stupid. And you deserve to have the s**t kicked out of you for trampling somebody. Not one person tried helping this guy?

And if a store is going to have 2,000 people outside overnight, a detail cop is probably a very good idea.