Black Friday Madness: Stampede Kills Man, Pregnant Woman Miscarries in Valley Stream Walmart

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 01:11 pm
Based on his past performance, i'd say Hawkeye doesn't know **** from Shinola . . . but he's never let that discourage him . . .
dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 01:41 pm
@Setanta,
well yeah but I find him to offer really sincere ****, the shinola I'm not so sure about.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:42 pm
@Setanta,
You gloss over the fact that yet again I am right, the very clams I made about this event are now the allegations in a legal matter, my arguement has standing. If you are going to claim that I am full of **** then you need to show where I am wrong, which is rarely done, for good reason.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 12:29 am
@roger,
You are right.

I didn't realize that the deceased was a temp until recently.

This may be the angle the family needs to bypass the Exclusive Remedy doctrine, but it will require a legal battle.

Of course if they succeed it only gets them a ticket to attempt to prove that the stampede was forseeable, and that Wal-Mart could have done something to prevent it.

Are we really at a point in our society's life that that a stampeding mob intent upon securing the latest sale price is to be expected?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 12:32 am
@Robert Gentel,
You missed the boat.

We can't be right all of the time.

Just admit it, or don't, but stop pressing your defenseless case.

Yadda yadda yadda Bobby
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:11 pm
Quote:
Wal-Mart Stores has spent a year and more than a million dollars in legal fees battling a $7,000 fine that federal safety officials assessed after shoppers trampled a Wal-Mart employee to death at a store on Long Island on the day after Thanksgiving in 2008.

The mystery, federal officials say, is why Wal-Mart is fighting so hard against such a modest fine.

It is not as if Wal-Mart has not already taken action to address any missteps and prevent another such accident. Three weeks before the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration ordered the fine, Wal-Mart, seeking to avoid criminal charges, reached a settlement with the Nassau County, N.Y., district attorney that called for the company to adopt new crowd management techniques in all 92 of its stores in New York State. At the time, Wal-Mart also agreed to create a $400,000 fund for customers injured in the stampede and to donate $1.5 million to various community programs in Nassau County.

More recently, the company announced improved crowd-control policies for all its United States stores to try to prevent such an accident from happening again.

But in fighting the federal fine, Wal-Mart is arguing that the government is improperly trying to define “crowd trampling” as an occupational hazard that retailers must take action to prevent.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/business/07walmart.html?hp

So much for Walmart trying to sell the perception that unlike in the past it now gives a **** about its employees.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:16 pm

HOORAY for WAL-MART! FIGHT BACK !

It is fighting against government for every citizen!

David
0 Replies