Resumé - 2 page

gollum

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 06:45 pm
Is it acceptable for a resumé to be two pages long?

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:22 pm
depends on your career sewarch. If youre in acadeem or research, 2 pages aint nearly enough. If youre in sales, two pages of solid evidence may be just right. If youre gonna work for KFC you dont need one at all.

So what is yer pleasure?
0 Replies

mamamia84

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 01:50 am
@gollum,
I agree with farmerman. I also say that if you have a college degree, or you are old enough to remember world events from 15 years ago, d-o-n-'-t
include all the jobs you had since the beginning of time. Only include the jobs that you had that really started to count from the age of 21, unless you have been doing a series of jobs to pertain to the job you now want. I would then group them as saying: Worked in the restaurant business from date to date, in the hair business from date to date, etc.. You can tell the interviewer specifically the places you worked - if s/he asks. The main idea is to keep the resume short and pique their interest with no large gaps of nothing so you get that interview. How you present yourself at the interview is what really counts, and of course the validity of your resume and degree qualifications. Good luck.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 02:06 am
@mamamia84,
mamamia84 wrote:

I agree with farmerman. I also say that if you have a college degree, or you are old enough to remember world events from 15 years ago, d-o-n-'-t
include all the jobs you had since the beginning of time. Only include the jobs that you had that really started to count from the age of 21, unless you have been doing a series of jobs to pertain to the job you now want. I would then group them as saying: Worked in the restaurant business from date to date, in the hair business from date to date, etc.. You can tell the interviewer specifically the places you worked - if s/he asks. The main idea is to keep the resume short and pique their interest with no large gaps of nothing so you get that interview. How you present yourself at the interview is what really counts, and of course the validity of your resume and degree qualifications. Good luck.

The problem I always have with crafting my resume is that the majority of my work experience is with just one company; a title insurance company. I worked there for 18 years and had a wide variety of jobs as I worked my way up, starting out as a file clerk in the president's office and working my way up via routes in the accounting department, the information systems technology department and the centralized customer service department. I had supervisory roles and non-supervisory roles and received many customer service awards in many of the roles.

I have a difficult time distilling it all down to less than one page so I can include my other work experience before and since then.

Any suggestions? What I wrote above doesn't represent all of what I actually did or accomplished there.
jespah

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 06:26 am
@Butrflynet,
Mine's been 2 pages for about 2 decades. I've just had such an odd career path. Plus I tend to get noticed for certain things, like people want to meet a lawyer who went into IT (and ask me why I did that). But it's my current skill set that gets me hired. Plus I have a lot of key words because I fully expect my resume to be searched for online. Hence I want it to be findable.

BFN, I think you might find that going with functional descriptions of what you do/did might work better, maybe even putting some of them in your cover letter versus your resume. E. g. something like --

Resume
XYZ title company 1990 - present Anytown, USA

Business Analyst (or whatever your title is) 2005 - present
Responsible for reporting on widget manufacture. Created and updated reports using Access databases.

Reporting Analyst 2000 - 2004
Created reports using MS Excel. Distributed them to Vice Presidents using internal scheduling system.

Cover Letter
For the past eighteen years, I have worked at the XYZ Title company, working my way up from the clerical staff to an analytical role wherein I prepare and analyze reports relied upon by the Vice Presidents of Marketing, Finance and Sales.

In 2003, I developed the Marketing Strategy report in response to a challenge issued by the President of the Company. This Challenge, called The Centennial Initiative, was issued for the express purpose of addressing shareholder issues. The Marketing Strategy report consists of sales measurements drawn from the mainframe, Oracle and Sybase systems, located on Windows and Linux servers. Currently, two graphs from the report are incorporated into the Annual Shareholders Presentation, given by the CEO. A redacted copy can be provided upon request.
-----------------------
I'd expand the resume above but I think this is the idea. The resume shows the basic skills and gets you in the door, but the cover letter provides the details.
0 Replies