does the site ever seem segregated?

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
one day i hope im as smart as some of the people i meet here.

gah. lol. fuckin edumacated fuxorz
flyboy804

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:06 am
Thanks for the interesting analytical explanation, Robert.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:09 pm
@OGIONIK,
Dude, you have more formal education than I do (I attended part of 7th grade, 9th grade, part of 10th grade and took one semester of a college class).

I wasn't allowed to go to school as a kid, and had to drop out of high school to work and support myself. You can do fine in life with or without the formal education if you are determined enough, I didn't have the money or opportunity for formal education, but that didn't stop me from learning.
aidan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 01:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes, this site does seem segregated to me. I can' t figure out how there can be 597 people on line with like four new posts...that just doesn't make logical sense to me, as I've been here a good while (three years) and remember how it used to be when the trivia games would have posts added on a second to second basis....

hmmm....and one time I was posting from another computer in a hotel and I hadn't signed in and I saw an a2k radio post (the thread that edgar and letty do) that had a jimmi hendrix video posted by Walter Hintlier(or however you spell it) and then when I signed in - there was a totally different virtual a2k radio station with no jimmi hendrix video...and I know I wasn't hallucinating either time. No drugs in my system - I don't do them...

And I've seen posts where people say - 'You know where to meet at the bar or the pub 0r whatever ' and I have no idea where the bar or pub is and apparently Setanta saw a letter that was supposedly written by me that I never saw - it begs the question.

Can you answer it for me Robert?
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 01:37 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Can you answer it for me Robert?

The first one yeah, the number is all the connections to the site, guests, members and even robots at the time (just like on the old site). There are always a lot more readers than there are writers but the number is a bit higher than it used to be because the log out session time out is longer (which helps people get logged out less often while composing a post).

As to the rest, I have no idea.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 01:40 pm
@aidan,
aidan, I won't presume to answer for robert, but...

I saw Walt post and then pull the Hendryx.

The bar usually refers to my thred, and the pub is where Spendi meets his imaginary friends.

(hope this helps)

PS for Onion...

I have a High School Diploma, but really stopped after 11th grade.

There is no excuse strong enough to keep you from educating yourself as you go on thru life...Go read a book!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 01:47 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

i cant wait to get a car..

a buick regal notch back,

forget the other names..

puts two 15's in the trunk, upgrade the tweeters and mids.

woop woop!! ima be vibrating peoples rear view mirros off.

Don't forget the spinner rims and bullet proof glass (some of us don't like unwelcome vibrations).
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 01:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Really - because you strike me as a straight-shooter - so if you say it's really so - I'll believe you.

But I do KNOW I saw a Jimmi Hendrix video that I never saw again one time...and I looked and looked....and I don't do drugs so I know I wasn't hallucinating.

I really do hope this site is fair and equitable to all participants. because I do believe you provide a wonderful service in terms of creativity, etc...and I admire the brain power evidenced here...by you and Nick especially.

But it's hard for me to buy the much lower participation rate in certain categories.
And I don't like feeling like a lesser-valued participant...I mean WHY? Just because I'm not popular?

But you know - I am pretty smart in my own way - and I do know that people who post 25 times a day every day don't just suddenly stop posting. And I know that there are sites where there are forums only certain people see and I know that Intrepid and Setanta alluded to posts that Aiden (note the misspelling) made that I never made or even saw....

You know - whatever - I can be happy with whatever I get and those who know what I don't know - more power to them - but I think you'd be a better site if you treated everyone equally. But then, that's my own bias - I don't go for inequality= never have.
aidan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:03 pm
@aidan,
thanks rockhead-
you've always been such a nice guy - really caring of everyone - even me.

I appreciate your kindness in trying to help me understand-Rebecca
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:22 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
But I do KNOW I saw a Jimmi Hendrix video that I never saw again one time...and I looked and looked....and I don't do drugs so I know I wasn't hallucinating.

I believe Rockhead is correct. Walter put up the video and then removed it himself, it was not edited by a moderator. This does happen from time to time.
aidan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:30 pm
@Green Witch,
Okay - but that doesn't explain the posts by this 'AIDEN' that others saw and I didn't.

Why all the focus on this Jimmi Hendrix video? I guess I'd just like the basic question answered - 'How do some posters see something other posters don't?'
I'm pretty observant. I never saw a letter than Setanta and Intrepid saw that was supposedly written by me - even though I looked and looked. Where did they see it? And why couldn't I see it?

Is everyone treated fairly and equitably here? That's my question. If not - so be it. I used to participate in a forum that openly admitted that the older and more accepted users saw more than some of the newbies. Okay - they were open about it.

I guess it's just hard for me to believe that so many people have had such lifestyle changes. Although maybe they have - and this forum is just shrinking and dying...
I'm asking Robert to answer the question- because as I said - I believe he's a fairly straight shooter. No offense to anyone else - but it's his forum - and I don't believe he'd feel comfortable lying about it.

Green Witch

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:38 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Okay - but that doesn't explain the posts by this 'AIDEN' that others saw and I didn't.

Did people offer links to these posts? Did you ask for a link? Did they give you a link you could not see?

I have never felt I was being edited or was unable to view any of the public posts. Sometimes people do their own quick editing, but that is their right.

I think the site has stagnated because of the change over, but just last night I noticed a number of new posters and I think that will continue with the new, friendlier format. I've seen forums die and this one does not show such symptoms.
aidan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:46 pm
@Green Witch,
No, I didn't ask for a link because honestly - the way it was put to me was so unfriendly and unpleasant- I didn't want to even know what it said. I thought that the way it was stated was so cruel and unkind that it would just make me feel horrible about what people will do to other people they don't even know in the name of fun (ridicule) or in an effort to be funny or popular, whatever...and at the time, I just wanted to keep my faith in humankind and human-kindness alive.

It didn't seem like a valuable use of time.

But I am a curious person - elementally. Now, with a little distance - I'd like to know what was said and where people saw it and why I was unable to see it.

Because I feel like I'm a valuable participant and contributor to this site. And whether I'm liked by everyone or considered popular should have no bearing on whether or not I'm treated as an equal.

Bottom line.

I hope this forum doesn't die either. But I do think we all should insist that everyone should receive equal treatment.

Don't you?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:51 pm
@aidan,
aidan, I saw the dustup you refer to, I think we even had a conversation about it at the time.

I never saw any links or the posts to which they referred, but it may predate me...

I always keep a grain or two of salt with me when I decide to post here.

(I push boundaries rather hard sometimes, I am quite certain there are no secret rooms, or other inequalities here)

A2K is getting better...
Green Witch

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:56 pm
@aidan,
I think your accusers owed you proof. Maybe they were wrong and had you confused with someone else.

I think every participant here has value, it's what makes a place interesting.

I agree that everyone should be treated equally within the rules of the forum. I have never heard people complain about being unable to view something or being edited. Some people have been banned from time to time, but I always felt they understood why and either they returned to fight another day or they moved on. I know some people used the PM feature to establish private conversations, but I have no trouble with that - actually, it's one feature I would like to see returned.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:57 pm
@aidan,
It's possible that after others saw the post but before you had a chance to read the post it was removed due to violation of the TOA.
aidan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 03:04 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead- I remember our conversation too - you asked me what was going on and I said I had no idea and you said you didn't either - but you thought it was ugly and you offered to find out about it...and I said .... don't worry about it, I think I'd rather not know and besides, I can't worry about it.

And I don't- really - I was just answering ogionik's question- that I sometimes do get the feeling that there are some segregated spaces here - otherwise how would setanta and intrepid have seen things I supposedly wrote that I never wrote or saw...

In the scope of things - it doesn't make any difference - except that it may present a false impression - of individual people and of this forum.

And I do think that this forum has enough going for it that it should try to retain some measure of honesty and integrity.

Greenwitch - thanks for your responses.
flyboy804

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 03:13 pm
@flyboy804,
flyboy804 wrote:

It's possible that after others saw the post but before you had a chance to read the post it was removed due to violation of the TOA.
"TOA" should have been "TOS" for terms of service.
aidan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 03:19 pm
@flyboy804,
thanks flyboy - I appreciate your efforts to help me make some sense of my questions too.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 03:19 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
And I do think that this forum has enough going for it that it should try to retain some measure of honesty and integrity.

Is there something you are trying to say the "site" is not being honest about?