Join the Navy and ... have 2 months Christmas holidays

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:59 am
Quote:
Australia temporarily shuts down navy

By ROD McGUIRK

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) " Australia's navy gets a big Christmas gift this year: two months paid vacation for most sailors that will ease the effects of a recruiting slump but make the service Down Under look something like a part-time operation.

The navy hopes that by making life on the sea more family-friendly, it will attract the extra 2,000 sailors it needs achieve its target strength of 15,000.

Critics say the so-called shut down, which inspired a front page newspaper headline Tuesday: "Navy Closes For Christmas," will worry Australia's major defense ally, the United States.

"Mothballing your ships for two months sends totally the wrong message to our region and to our allies," opposition defense spokesman David Johnston told The Associated Press. "I've never heard of anything like this. I'm flabbergasted."

All 55 navy ships and submarines that are not on operational deployments have been ordered home for Christmas, and the number of sailors who stay aboard docked ships as sentries will be reduced to skeleton crews.

It is not clear how many how many sailors will take extra time off.

Defense Minister Joel Fitzgibbon told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio that the two months break for sailors, which begins Dec. 3, is "just a way of saying thank you and encouraging them to stay in the service."

Fitzgibbon said a shortage of troops was the biggest challenge facing the Australian Defense Force and making their jobs more family friendly was part of the solution.

"The family-work balance is a very, very important part of the equation," Fitzgibbon said.

Navy Deputy Chief Rear Adm. Davyd Thomas said that the break will not adversely impact national security.

An Australian navy frigate would remain in the Middle East guarding oil wells over Christmas and seven patrol boats would guard Australia's northern waters from illegal fishers and smugglers, he said.

Two ships would also be on standby, one on the east and the other on the west coast, to respond to any emergency at sea, he said.

Thomas said the navy always had a shutdown period over the southern summer, although this one was longer.

"We're trying to become an employer of choice. We want people to want to be in the navy and want to serve here," Thomas told reporters.

Thomas said he expected most naval personnel would take the time off.

Neil James, executive director of the independent security think-tank Australian Defense Association, agreed the shutdown was not radically different from previous years, although it was a few weeks longer and would involve more ships remaining in dock.

He said the length of vacation would vary depending on the individual and some could expect to be recalled at short notice.

He said military chiefs had been considering longer Christmas vacations for years because the navy has the worst retention rate of Australia's three military services.

"The bottom line driving this is the retention problem," James said.

"If you look at the exit surveys of people serving in the defense force, the biggest single cause of dissatisfaction is family-work life balance," he said.

Source: AP

http://i33.tinypic.com/zvesu9.jpg

Royal Australian Navy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,313 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, what is your point regarding this post?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:56 am
@Foofie,
News. And as a former member of our navy, I just found it interesting.

Why does my point for posting interest you, Foofie?
roger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Not to worry, Walter. As the economy tanks, the navy will have no trouble meeting its recruitment goals. At some point, any income is better than none. You and I are probably too old to take advantage, but maybe "life experience" will trump callow youth.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
ino all armed forces should have longer paid vacations !
vacations 365 days a year would be my proposal .
just imagine if every country did that : NO MORE WARS and huge cost savings !
what's not to like about it ?
hbg
roger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 02:07 pm
@hamburger,
The key word is every.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

News. And as a former member of our navy, I just found it interesting.

Why does my point for posting interest you, Foofie?

"Our Navy"? You mean "my Navy"?

You did not explain what point you were making by posting this article.

My point is, who cares what the Australian Navy does. The sun set on the British Empire a while ago.
margo

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:45 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
who cares what the Australian Navy does. The sun set on the British Empire a while ago.

What an odd point to make, Foofie!

I care!

Lots of others care, too - the US, f'rinstance. The Australian Navy is regularly called on to provide support to US Navy and US troops - we have ships in the Middle East at present. It has nothing at all to do with the British Empire.

What an insular little person you must be!

The aim is to ease recruiting problems by making the Navy more family friendly. We don't have the same tradition of armed service that the US has, for example.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 01:24 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
"Our Navy"? You mean "my Navy"?

You did not explain what point you were making by posting this article.

My point is, who cares what the Australian Navy does. The sun set on the British Empire a while ago.

Our navy. I don't think that you would it call yours.

And usually I don't explain why I post what here.

I care.

And we have some posters of Australia here - as well as others, who could be/are interested.

-----

Thanks, margo. (Of course I know the background - and the reasons for those two months. Wink )
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:29 am
I could make the standard joke about 'there's seamen everywhere', but I won't.

Damn. I just did! Is that a thumbs up or down?
Foofie

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:54 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

Quote:
who cares what the Australian Navy does. The sun set on the British Empire a while ago.

What an odd point to make, Foofie!

I care!

Lots of others care, too - the US, f'rinstance. The Australian Navy is regularly called on to provide support to US Navy and US troops - we have ships in the Middle East at present. It has nothing at all to do with the British Empire.

What an insular little person you must be!

The aim is to ease recruiting problems by making the Navy more family friendly. We don't have the same tradition of armed service that the US has, for example.

You are correct about me being insular. You are not correct about me being small.

In my own world view, I see Australia as an outpost of the Commonwealth. I prefer the U.S. having all the resources needed to stand independently on the world stage. I applaud Australia for speaking English and being in the Commonwealth with all that implies (enjoying the latest gossip about the Royals).
margo

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:32 pm
@Foofie,
Bloody insular, then, and unrealistic as well.

And blooody patronising!
Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:21 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:
Damn. I just did! Is that a thumbs up or down?

And I missed the fun. What's up margo - this jerk bothering you?
margo

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:55 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:
this jerk bothering you?

I do try not to let idiots bother me! Sometimes, however, you wonder why they are allowed to waste the air!?
Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 03:59 am
@margo,
Yep. Since the US election there has been an 'element' who have started posting with the intent to piss people off. I spotted Set in a bit of a lather and I'd tag him as fairly cool (compared to moi).

Don't worry - this has got to be the only longterm forum in the States with a category for 'North America' AND equal billing to 'Australia'. A wabbit will bite him on the nether regions.....

...Christ knows. It's happened so many times to me.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:38 pm
@margo,
I was not going to mention the incorrect spelling, but since you "assume" I am "partronizing," it is spelled with a "z," not an "s."

I was not being patronizing in the least. I was just giving my opinion, without any concern if it would be miscontrued for an obnoxious post.

I am not egalitarian when it comes to countries. I believe some are better than others. Naturally, I put the U.S. on top. If you are curious, I just consider Australia as a subset (Commonwealth nation) of England. That should not be offensive, if one respects the Queen.

old europe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:43 pm
@Foofie,
Mark Twain wrote:
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:52 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I was not going to mention the incorrect spelling, but since you "assume" I am "partronizing," it is spelled with a "z," not an "s."

Well, I do know that you think everyone should use the American way of spelling. Perhaps margo forgot that you act here as watchdog for the proper use of AE.

tbh, foofie, UN4TUN8 a few million people have just learnt English. I'm sure, foofie, will all your effort to educate us: finis coronat opus!
Foofie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:56 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Mark Twain wrote:
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

Sorry, this quote from either the late nineteenth century, or early twentieth century, reflects a time when people from western Europe or North America could travel through all sorts of undeveloped nations and most of the time were treated as well as they could afford to be treated. That is not the case today. There are dangers today that did not exist then for travelers.

I never cared much for Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) as an author, anyway. Let us not forget Emily Dickenson. She stayed in her home and wrote poetry, and tended her garden. Also, wrote some letters. In my opinion, she had a fine life.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 01:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Well, I do know that you think everyone should use the American way of spelling. Perhaps margo forgot that you act here as watchdog for the proper use of AE.

tbh, foofie, UN4TUN8 a few million people have just learnt English. I'm sure, foofie, will all your effort to educate us: finis coronat opus!

"Learnt" is archaic. It is now "learned."

Anyway, whenever I hear German tourists speak English, they usually sound like they are from England? If only the entire world could learn to speak English as well (they can keep the English accent, so as not to be confused with Americans).
0 Replies