Cookie Time - Breakfast Cookies

Mon 17 Nov, 2008 02:39 pm
So, a few weeks ago I made some chocolate chip walnut cookies and they are just about gone, gone, gone. I decided I wanted to make oatmeal cookies and skip the chocolate chips, much as I love those - so I looked at oatmeal nut cookie recipes on the internet for quite a while, not finding exactly what fit my ingredients at hand.

Thus, a "new" sort of conglomerate recipe, relatively low in sugar and high in fruit and nuts - and they turned out great. I'm thinking of calling them Danger Cookies, or Breakfast Cookies.

Please add your own cookie recipes, especially if you've fooled around with a more ordinary recipe, but also any regular favorites.

Oatmeal cookies with walnuts and fruit

Makes 30 cookies at my house.

Preheat oven to 325 F (162 C?)

ingredients

3/4 cup dried fruit - - soak for a while in water or a mix of sherry and water; I used 1/4 cup of sherry and 3/4 cup of water.
For my fruit mix I used what was left in a package of apple flavored dried cranberries, handfuls of golden raisins, and 6 packaged mission figs, stems removed and figs chopped. (The figs turned out to be a good choice..)
Drain water/sherry before adding to recipe dough.

1 + 1/2 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup walnut oil, 1/4 cup canola - or a mix of melted butter and canola oil (I actually had walnut oil so I did the first one.)
3/4 cup sugar (I used white)
1 large egg plus one egg white
1 tsp vanilla
1 + 3/4 cup quick or "old fashioned" oatmeal - don't know if there's a difference in baking with steel cut oats
1 + 1/4 cup chopped nuts (in my case, shelled walnuts in a plastic bag, smashed with a hammer)

Method

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a fairly big bowl.
Put melted butter/oil and sugar in a smaller bowl that will also hold the eggs. Beat the eggs in an even smaller bowl, and add them to the butter-sugar mix, then add the vanilla.
Create a "well" in the middle of the flour mix, and pour in the butter-sugar-eggs mix while stirring.
Add the oats, drained fruit, and chopped or crushed nuts. Dough will begin to be a bit stiff, but carry on..
Place spoonfuls of dough on ungreased cookie sheets. Mine didn't spread all that much larger than the uncooked spoonful, so next time I might get a few more onto the baking sheet.

Bake at 325 for 17 minutes (in my oven, anyway), remove to baking rack.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,015 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

Reyn

Mon 17 Nov, 2008 07:30 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

So, a few weeks ago I made some chocolate chip walnut cookies and they are just about gone, gone, gone.

[...]

Makes 30 cookies at my house.

Are you sure it's 30? Doesn't sound like they last long. Wink Laughing
ossobuco

Mon 17 Nov, 2008 08:47 pm
@Reyn,
Yeh, I freeze them and eat 1 a day (the choc chip ones were fewer, if I remember right). Alas, I've scarfed about six of these fruit things already.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 9 Jul, 2014 08:03 am
@ossobuco,
Funny you posted this - I am right now enjoying a scone. I baked them this morning from a Trader Joes package.

Not sure if you consider scones cookies - I sort of consider them breakfast cookies. They tend not to be as sweet and many come with various fruits and/or nuts. I don't have a recipe but the Trader Joes mix I used was pretty good (and easy - just add water and bake).
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 9 Jul, 2014 08:34 am
Its always cookie time!
0 Replies