The War on Christmas.

margo

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:24 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Andrew - you're right - thus the comment about inappropriate music!

In Oz, Santa uses: 6 white boomers (old man kangaroos!)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlSsffF2xhA

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You do know that Luther (as well as other reformers) 'created' Christmas Eve as the secular part, with presents etc - opposed to the Christian Christmas the following two days? (And opposed to the traditional "gift-presenting" of the Catholics: December 6 [St. Niclas] resp. January 6 [Epiphany].)

No I didn't Walter, and I grew up a Lutheran.

It's interesting, but what the hell it has to do with anything is beyond me
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:51 pm
@dlowan,
Yes, if you are homophillic and christianphobic.

BTW - what is "snort" supposed to signify.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:14 am
The easy way to end one aspect of the culture wars is for Christians to just start greeting anyone they are passing on the street with a smilingly, "Merry Christmas." I say on the street, since there are organizations that have mandated on-site greeting with the neutral, "Happy Holidays." Anyway, I believe, that with time, Merry Christmas will become just like a salute on a military installation - just a respectful greeting for the respective culture.

Now the baby Jesus in the Nativity Scene may be more problematic, since I personally believe that the concern about this, by members of other faiths, may have something to do with how adorable the baby Jesus is in a Nativity Scene, and young daughters from other faiths may become enamored with a religion that has such an adorable baby as the center of its faith. Parents of other faiths may therefore have some concern over Nativity Scenes, since it may be such a good marketing tool?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:24 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Losing christmas to Godless secularists?
Holiday decorations out at Halloween... Holiday music on the radio before Thanksgiving... people hiring djs like me to play rap at Christmas parties where Suzie secretary is copying her beaver on the office copier and people are puke drunk ******* in the bathroom stalls....a retail economy that defines it's health by it's Christmas shopping season? Bad Santa is becoming a modern "Christmas Classic"?

The Godless secularists have had Christmas for a long time.......you said it yourself when you typed "too much money in it"
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:16 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
It was a joke
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I was merely continuing the joke...no harm no foul.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 05:42 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Okay
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 05:44 pm
Chipmunks roasting on an open fire . . .
mismi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 05:56 pm
@Setanta,
mmmm mmmm mmmm
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:08 am
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6HMyVYtcgxI/SSbOQa9307I/AAAAAAAAAus/K2JHGKGzp28/s320/Christmas+comes.jpg

The attacks are everywhere.

Joe(Hi, Walter!)Nation
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:37 am
@Joe Nation,
Today(yesterday, many Christmas markets opened in lots of German towns and cities ... and were closed at noon: winter storms and heavy snow.

Walter(have a good day Joe!)Hinteler
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:58 am
@Foofie,
I think "Merry Christmas" is making a comback. People are getting over the PC thing and I doubt the majority care how they are greeted. Here is a new hallmark commercial. I dedicate this posting to OmSigDavid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVZ7mRMB3BU

Foofie - I think your idea that 21st century little girls might want to convert because of a cute baby Jesus is just laughable, but very creative. Well, maybe if he comes with his own stylish wardrobe and electric guitar some young girls might consider it.
Foofie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 01:03 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I think "Merry Christmas" is making a comback. People are getting over the PC thing and I doubt the majority care how they are greeted. Here is a new hallmark commercial. I dedicate this posting to OmSigDavid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVZ7mRMB3BU

Foofie - I think your idea that 21st century little girls might want to convert because of a cute baby Jesus is just laughable, but very creative. Well, maybe if he comes with his own stylish wardrobe and electric guitar some young girls might consider it.

Just my opinion. You need not laugh at it.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:37 pm
"Merry Christmas" is making a larger comeback, but my theory on it has more to with Christmas becoming more secular. None of my direct family is Christian, but we have celebrated Christmas for years. We've enjoyed it too.

Who is anyone to tell us that we shouldn't have enjoyed it because we weren't Christians?

T
K
O
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:39 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

"Merry Christmas" is making a larger comeback, but my theory on it has more to with Christmas becoming more secular. None of my direct family is Christian, but we have celebrated Christmas for years. We've enjoyed it too.

Who is anyone to tell us that we shouldn't have enjoyed it because we weren't Christians?

T
K
O

I say 'merry christmas' and we are hardly christian either.

Of course, I also wish people a Joyous Kwanzaa.

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
yeah. I guess I just laugh at the notion of being told what the "true meaning" is. I'm not allowed to give my own meaning to things I do with the people I love? ha.

To me, Christmas means family time, and that's all it needs to mean.
K
O
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:44 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
You need not laugh at it.

I didn't mean to sound nasty, it just made me giggle. It's just a unique theory I never heard before.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:31 pm
Got my own 'Death to Xmas' thread going. All Holiday Humbuggers free to post!

Anyone want to know how the Xmas Fairy got to be on top of the tree?
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:54 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Haven't looked at your new thread yet, Stilly, but yes, I do know why we put an angel on top of the tree. Believe it or not, it was a former nun who first told me this tale.
0 Replies