Miller

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:06 am
Are there any really good products for removal of pantry moths from a home?

Can the same products be used for moths that feed off of clothes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 4,095 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:50 pm
@Miller,
Pantry moths don't like mint. When I've had an infestation, besides removing all infested items, I buy several handfuls of mint sprigs and place them on the shelves.

Both pantry moths and clothes moths dislike cedar and camphor. When I can afford it, I buy those chunks of camphor and put them on hangers in the closet and also leave one or two in the pantry year-round.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 05:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
I used to use bay leaves in my jars of flour and various packages. That worked, but I changed them every once in a while. I haven't had the pantry critters since I moved to Albuquerque, so there's another option.
Miller

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 02:07 am
@ossobuco,
All suggestions very helpful...

Thanks
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 02:16 am
@ossobuco,
Interesting. Since leaving Tulsa in the late 70s and spending the rest of my time at elevations above 5,000', I haven't seen a flea on a cat or dog. Stores still sell anti flea products, but my guys are clean.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:18 am
@roger,
I used to connect the presence of kitchen moths to hot weather, in both LA and up north, but Albuquerque is hotter in summer than both of those places, though not w/much humidity.
dagmaraka

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:24 am
@ossobuco,
bleach on the pantry months. tossing all old flour, oats, anything of the sort, wiping things down with bleach water, closing everything new in tight tupperware.
Miller

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:53 pm
@dagmaraka,
I was surprised to find the months in the pantry, as I thought moths only fed off of clothes.
littlek

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 11:55 pm
@Miller,
different moths eat different things. Get the moth tents, too. Hardware stores and some grocery stores carry them. I'd find links, but my computer sucks right now.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 11:21 am
@Miller,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_meal_moth

apparently they'll even find their way into tightly sealed containers (tupperware) .
bayleaves are supposed to keep them "at bay" .
hbg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 11:25 am
@hamburger,
I agree, they do make it into tightly sealed containers. They often come in the flour or cornmeal or whatever.
Miller

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 11:34 am
@ossobuco,
I think one came in a big bag of dry dog food.
Swimpy

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:32 pm
@Miller,
Bingo! I was going to ask you if you had pet food in the pantry. Put it in an air-tight container. Freezing kills the buggers. If you can, put the pet food in the freezer.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 05:04 pm
I swear I'm developing a dyslexic condition. Could have sworn that headline said "Panty moths." Shucks. Nuthin' salacious here.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 07:25 pm
@Merry Andrew,
That was funny, Andrew Laughing Panty moth would suggest a long dry spell, eh?
--

I put flour, sugar, ice and other grains all in the freezer. Dog food gets into an
airtight container and the new dog package designs all have the ziplock principle
which helps too.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 08:41 am
@Miller,
I've had them occasionally. It's usually hard to track down the source unless you open up every container that contains grain of any kind but things like corn muffin mixes (and pet foods apparently) are likely candidates. They'll usually stick to one cupboard if there's a good food source there so if you deal with it as soon as you see the signs (small whitish worms or moths in a cupboard) you can keep it contained to one area.

I generally inspect everything (opened or unopened) in that cupboard to see if I can find the source. Throw that one item out, take everything out of the cupboard and wipe the shelves and walls off with a disinfectant (lysol or dilute bleach). If it's been awhile since the infestation started you may have to toss everything in that cupboard that contains a grain.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:47 pm
@JPB,
If you keep sacks of wild bird seed around, check that too. That's how the one and only infestation got started in my apartment. By the time I noticed them a few days later after buying the bird seed, they were into everything. Be sure to check the seed in any feeders outside too or they'll just find their way back inside again. (Learned that one from experience.)
0 Replies