Music Headphones can Interfere with Heart Devices

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 08:26 am
Quote:
Have a pacemaker or an implanted defibrillator? Don't keep your iPod earbuds in your shirt pocket or draped around your neck"even when they're disconnected. A study finds that some headphones can interfere with heart devices if held very close to them.
They might even prevent a defibrillator from delivering a lifesaving shock, say doctors who tested them.

"Headphones contain magnets, and some of these magnets are powerful," said the study's leader, Dr. William Maisel, a cardiologist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston and a heart device consultant to the federal Food and Drug Administration.

"I certainly don't think people should overreact to this information," but it's smart to keep small electronics at least a few inches from implanted medical devices, and not let someone wearing headphones lean against your chest if you have one, he said.

I don't have any heart devices, but I have noticed something peculiar. I have a CD Walkman which I use to exercise. I usually keep my cell phone in the pocket of my shorts. If I have the music on loud, I cannot hear the ringtone when someone is calling me. What I do hear is a lot of static on my headphones, so I know that someone is calling.

I don't know if it is related, but sometimes I wonder about the electronic gadgets that we wear on our bodies. I am concerned that some day in the future scientists will find that these gadgets might cause physical problems down the road.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,257 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 06:48 am
@Phoenix32890,
Hey, I know that most A2Kayers are too young to be concerned with stuff like pacemakers or defibrillators, but don't you have parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles?

IMO people should be made aware of the possible dangers, and then do as they see fit............................but I think that they should be informed!
chai2

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 07:29 am
@Phoenix32890,
Wally has a defibrillator. I'm really glad you posted this phoenix.

I just bought him an ipod, I'll have to tell him not to put it in his shirt pocket.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 08:06 am
@chai2,
Chai- It is for people like Wally that is exactly why I posted this. There is a lot of crucial information "out there" that does not get into the hands of people who need the information most.

I just realized that I forgot to post a link to the article. I don't know if it is the same article, but basically it gives the same information:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ihHHaR5AzLgBZxDcatI9QfJXBb_QD94BGLS80
0 Replies

ancient punk

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 09:53 am
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks, I've got a defib. They tell you not to store your phone in a pocket above the heart but I'd notthought ofthat one.
The most surprising and, to me, funniest item to beware of is the detectors they have in shop doorways that are to stop theft. If you stand in between them forto long they can set you off. Apparently a guyout shopping with his wife found this out. I always used to do that when shopping with the wife.
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 06:55 am
@ancient punk,
I am glad that you saw my thread. Forewarned is forearmed!
0 Replies