Can anyone confirm "Robin Williams' Plan for Peace"

Roosh

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 02:25 pm
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/robinwilliamspeaceplan.htm

This "e-rumor" has been circulating on the net. Can anyone confirm that it was indeed authored by the comedian (perhaps from his stand-up, a tv appearance or an editorial), or at least where it originated from? Regardless, it's a refreshing spin on the situation.

EDIT: Embarrassed Well, I neglected to notice truthorfiction.com's verdict that it's false, "-Fiction!". I suppose this thread could shift to feedback on the content of the 'peace plan'.

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 05:14 pm
Not only did he not say that but the text is an insipid rhetorical call to the least common denominator in the US.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 05:37 pm
I am gratified to learn he did not say anything that stupid.
0 Replies

Roosh

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 01:12 am
He just may have, edgarblythe...

Can't confirm this one either, but I was listening to a radio program discussing the same subject. A listener called up, saying that he was a big Williams fan and has his 'Live On Broadway' DVD in which he has something to this 'peace plan's effect in his set. If it is true, I could see him doing it in an exaggerated southern drawl as a character...

Maybe it's possible to find the dvd's subtitles somewhere on the web...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 01:16 am
I watched that show 3 times and do not recall him saying that. But he did make a comment about the statue of liberty very very similar to the last part of the text.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 01:31 am
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-williams-plan.htm

http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/music/mar02/25596.asp

From http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/williams.asp:

Quote:
Origins: We don't yet know who is responsible for the piece quoted above, but it definitely wasn't actor-comedian Robin Williams (of Mork & Mindy fame). This item's debut appears to have been a 20 March 2003 posting to the USENET newsgroup alt.motorcycles.harley, and from there it was rapidly disseminated via e-mail and blogs, credited to either "author unknown" or no one at all. The Robin Williams attribution wasn't tacked on until several weeks later, apparently because along the way someone appended a genuine Robin Williams quote to the list as an eleventh item:

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'You want a piece of me?'" - Robin Williams.

Obviously the Robin Williams attribution for the final item was interpreted as applying to the list as a whole, so now the entire piece is making the rounds as 'the Robin Williams plan.'
Last updated: 24 May 2003
0 Replies

Roosh

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 03:58 am
:wink:
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:31 am
While I am glad Robin Williams didnt say it,I se nothing wrong with the plan.The rest of the world has made it plain that they dont want us ,they just want our money. and,many liberals have stated that the US is the cause of everything bad in the world,so we leave the world.If people dont want us to be involved,we give them what they want.We pull our troops out of everyplace they are stationed,we remove all of oour experts working in the WHO,we stop all food aid to other countries,we stop all monetary aid to other countries,we close the CDC in Atlanta to all foreign medical workers,we become isolated and insulated from the rest of the world.People dont yet realize that the US can stand by itself,we CAN be totally self sufecient.We grow enough food,we have the economy,and we have the ability.We dont need the world,the world needs us.And if you dispute that,answer this,who funds the world bank,who has the leading disease research centers (CDC in Atlanta),who do many countries turn to in time od natural disaster,who defends so many smaller countries,what country do most people want to immigrate to.
So,since the rest of the world only wants our money,but not us,I say we dont give them us or our money.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:32 am
Mysteryman, What planet are you from? I only help you are a "liberal" making an attempt at irony. But anyway...

1) Americans want the ability to travel and do business and have families in other countries. Don't you think that letting American scientists participate in the fight against global disease is a pretty good thing? Would you close the borders for Americans who have travelled overseas.

2) America's disasterous foreign policy has had three affects. First it has given people legimate reasons to be very angry with us. Second it has legitimized the use of violence over diplomacy as a response to disagreements. Third we have introduced and continued to develop weapons of mass destruction.

We have made world is now a much more dangerous place. It is our fault that we don't dare to disengage.

3) Third, we are the world. It is one of the shining strengths of America that we come from all parts. We are English and German and Irish and Mexican and Jewish and Arab and French and ... . The fact is -- we should care what happens in the world and we do care.

To turn away is - well - unAmerican.

4) We can't do it alone. Our economy relies on cheap oil, products and labor from overseas.

Next time you drive your car or fill up your car or eat vegetables or wear clothes realize that all of these products are available at the cheap prices you expect because people overseas will do work that is now too tedious for Americans at wages that an American would not think twice about.

If the world wasn't there, our standard of living would not be either.

We need the world and we owe a lot to the world.

I only hope that we will decide to be a equal partner, instead of an imperial master. To disengage is out of the question.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:37 am
mysteryman,

You are under the illusion that our riches are domestically aquired.

Regards
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:58 am
All I was saying is that since America seems to be the source of all the trouble in the world,lets solve the problem.
We are the biggest producer of greenhouse gases,we use a disproportionate amount of the worlds energy supply,its our way of life and our support for countries like Israel and Taiwan that seem to cause much of the worlds problems,so lets just stop.
This country gets attacked and criticized for trying to help,so lets stop trying.
When international peacekeepers are needed,like recently in Liberia,America is the first country the world turns to.When there is a medical or a natural disaster,America is the first country the world turns to.
When disease hits,the CDC in Atlanta is the first organization people turn to.
I say,that since we are the cause of the worlds problems,and if you dont believe that just listen to the Dem candidates for president.They are all saying it also.
But,if we are the cause,then lets be the solution and just refuse to participate.
When peacekeepers are needed,we just say "no,its not our problem so we wont help fix it"
When disease strikes,we say "no,it is not our problem,we arent getting sick from it"
Let the world find out just how much they need us,and not the other way around.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 10:04 am
Robin Williams' Plan For Peace site
http://www.serenitygraphics.com/mil/milmisc/robin.htm
0 Replies

antidiot

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 12:54 am
Yes as usual we owe the world. Mysteryman how dare you speak truth . Never say anything other than we are lucky the world wants to blow us up , while we are sending them billions of dollars. Wow , it is true, you liberals really are that incredibly naive. Tell you what, be sure to say to me how we deserve for everyone to be attacking us while they are killing your wife or children . Talk to me about how it is my fault someone is hacking another human beings head off because "I " am an imperialistic American . Yes you are correct, we make them stone women or mutilate them because they simply can not live with a man who beats them . You people are right. We are the cause of the worlds anger for us. You should all teach us a lesson . You should leave this country and let's see how long other countries actually tolerate you and your so called awareness of the world and what we have done to them .
0 Replies