I'm off to the Philippines...

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:55 am
Today I leave for the Philippines for 9 days. I'm curious to see how they reacted to the Obama victory. See you all when I get back.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,931 • Replies: 5
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 07:10 am
@maporsche,
Have fun. Bring us back your stories because, as my 6-year-old says, "what kind of person leaves his funny stories at home?"
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:10 am
I got back on Sunday.

Not what I expected at all. This was a very depressing vacation. The degree of poverty in this country is extreme. I spent the entire vacation feeling sorry for just about every Filipino I saw. Everyone was really nice and hospitable, but it was depressing. For example, we took a cab from the airport to the hotel, it may have been 15 miles, but took 45 minutes. This is a cab ride that would have cost $30 in Chicago, here it was 250 pesos ($5.00). I couldn't just give the guy 5 bucks so I tossed him $15 and the guy was shocked.

Once we got to Boracay (which is a beautiful beach by the way), we were solicited non stop by people asking to sell us sunglasses, ATV rentals, etc. We just wanted to walk the beach (maybe 3 miles) and we had to turn down realisitcally 50 people during that short walk. I got so tired of saying no that I didn't want to leave our resort (which didn't allow solicitors).

It was quite an experience, but I don't think I'll ever go back.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:36 am
@maporsche,
the women there are so beautiful...

ma u have to fit in! never go anywhere looking like a tourist! everyone tries to selll them stuff.
maporsche

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:42 am
@OGIONIK,
I would have had a hard time fitting in. I'm 6ft and probably as white as you are in your pic. That put me about a foot taller than most people there, and well, my whiteness is hard to hide.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:58 am
@maporsche,
its not the skin! its the attitude!

but yeah i could find it hard to fit heh
0 Replies