Hello? Hello? Where the Hell are the conservatives?

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:41 am
@kickycan,
I guess that is true in some ways. But rather than calling the President names and such, I think I would let of steam by calling his policies idiotic and such. I know that is just semantics, but I can't help it. I've always been taught to respect people. Ideas, however, are free game.

BillRM

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:45 am
@Setanta,
I think that it is likely that they are reading their copies of the “Turner Diary” to try to figure out the best ways to hide the guns before Obama send his blacks followers to collect them.

Remember guys they will bring metal detectors along with them so hiding them in the door frame will not work.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:50 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

I've always been taught to respect people. Ideas, however, are free game.

Agreed.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:56 am
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
First of all, please do tell me how you find the name calling and ridiculing of a president something to aspire to do? I find it only shows what little minds so many people, yourself included, have here on A2K.

I never saw you post to admonish the racist slurs cast towards Obama by your colleagues on the rightwing, nor bridle in a single attack on any A2K from your fellow travelers, so you stand on mendacious ground with your false piety about insults about Bush.

You can type all the words you want but since you have provided no examples to defend your position I will consider the argument finished and that without further documentation that you continue to be a person who evokes pity and not animosity.

I extended my hand to you in conciliation and you slapped it away. That shows more about you than me.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:59 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Hey, guys, girls . . . it's election night . . . where the hell are ya?

Anybody seen any conservatives tonight?

The same place as always. It's in the nature of elections that someone wins and someone loses. This particular result wasn't much of a surprise. In my own area elections and propositions went heavily conservative. There's another election every four years.

If I were a liberal, I'd probably claim that the ballots were rigged, and begin reporting absurd accastions and conspiracy theories regarding Mr. Obama, including absurd allegations of wrongdoing in his youth. I might talk about leaving the country for four years. Since I'm not, I will just wish the man luck, try to show some loyalty, and hope that he exceeds my expectations and helps the country. But, as I say, there's an election every four years.

Actually, yesterday was a significant day in my private life and that took up most of my evening.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:10 am
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
Hopefully the next 4 years will find less hatred coming from the conservative side than all the hatred and name-calling of the president that came from the liberal side during the last 8 years. One can only hope.

If the 8 years of Clinton's presidency are any indication CR, history shows conservatives are going to be spewing a lot of hatred and name calling.

Together we can only hope. But we can all join in with Obama and keep hope alive and maybe our hope will conquer the Rushes and cjhsas of this world.
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:14 am
@kuvasz,
Well, that would be your loss that you have never seen any of that from me. It would be a waste of my time to admonish people repeatedly so I do not do so every time I see them make comments along those lines. I doubt that you can find many examples of my "admonishing" anyone, either liberal or conservative, for name calling. I don't believe that is my place. I simply made a comment that I hope the hatred and name calling of our current president is not repeated by conservatives in regards to the new president.

Regardless, I feel no need to justify myself to you or anyone else here, so you'll pardon me for not pointing you to threads where I have done so. (I already told you of a couple instances where I did admonish someone and in point of fact, on a recently posted thread by some person named Pamela? I did so again.) So threads are there if you really feel the need to look them up rather than take me at my word. I couldn't care less.

Oh, and I'm not sure where you offered me a conciliatory hand that I slapped away, but if it appeared to you that I did, then I apologize for that.
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:17 am
@parados,
I tend to fear you are probably correct Parados. But we can always hope it will be different. I am afraid that until conservatives and liberals become more civil toward each other it will be difficult to find common ground with which to move forward and solve the problems that face us all.
parados

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:18 am
@Asherman,
Quote:
During a political campaign, all politicians encourage the belief that their election will benefit everyone. The Obama campaign drew much of its strength from the idea that the policies of the past were wrong, wrong, wrong. The expectation fostered was that Obama's election would represent a new era, a new politics that would be everything that past politics was not. The near religious zeal and idealism of Obama's followers has been frequently noted. Like other idealists, Obama's election took on a tinge of the crusade for revolutionary change in the political environment. Obama's election has been sold as a glowing promise that inspires hope and will lead to that rosy future I mentioned above.

And so it begins.

Accuse Obama of claims he never made so you can accuse him of not living up to them.

I doubt most people that voted for Obama expect him to fix everything let alone fix it quickly. We just wanted a new direction because the old direction was horrible. Whether the new direction is perfect is debatable but it can't be as bad as where we are now, 2 wars, recession, record government debt, a financial liquidity crisis caused by lack of regulation, a complete disregard by the current President of much of what we were taught America stood for as children.

Will Obama be perfect? No
Will he appear perfect compared to what we had? That is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:21 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
During a political campaign, all politicians encourage the belief that their election will benefit everyone. The Obama campaign drew much of its strength from the idea that the policies of the past were wrong, wrong, wrong. The expectation fostered was that Obama's election would represent a new era, a new politics that would be everything that past politics was not. The near religious zeal and idealism of Obama's followers has been frequently noted. Like other idealists, Obama's election took on a tinge of the crusade for revolutionary change in the political environment. Obama's election has been sold as a glowing promise that inspires hope and will lead to that rosy future I mentioned above.

And so it begins.

Accuse Obama of claims he never made so you can accuse him of not living up to them.

I doubt most people that voted for Obama expect him to fix everything let alone fix it quickly. We just wanted a new direction because the old direction was horrible. Whether the new direction is perfect is debatable but it can't be as bad as where we are now, 2 wars, recession, record government debt, a financial liquidity crisis caused by lack of regulation, a complete disregard by the current President of much of what we were taught America stood for as children.

Will Obama be perfect? No
Will he appear perfect compared to what we had? That is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

I'm afraid you may be almost certain that all sorts of weird accusations against the president-elect and his family will flow in from the Republican Party, just as they would from the Democrats, had McCain been elected. It's very unfortunate, but I don't expect it to change.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:24 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

I tend to fear you are probably correct Parados. But we can always hope it will be different. I am afraid that until conservatives and liberals become more civil toward each other it will be difficult to find common ground with which to move forward and solve the problems that face us all.

Ahhh.... what do you know?
You're just some silly clown.

I feel the earth move under my feet...
find common ground, find common ground

It's drawing me closer to cjhsa..
Help!!!!!! Somebody save me!!!!

Now I know why they say clowns are scary.
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:34 am
@parados,
Yes, beware the clown.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:55 am
I've seen dozen of interviews today on Sky News getting reactions from Americans. Not a blade of grass in sight. Not a tree. Cityscapes only. I would guess 95% of interviewees were black and at least 50% of them were well overweight and in striking contrast to the blacks in the Congo. One shop had a large sign reading SEE YOUR FOOD.

I also noticed that the new political map retains an enclosed area with no blue inside it and no red outside it.

Have the Dems achieved the filibuster proof 60 seats in the Senate?

What's the DOW doing?

"Don't follow leaders--watch the parking meters."
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:57 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I've seen dozen of interviews today on Sky News getting reactions from Americans. Not a blade of grass in sight. Not a tree. Cityscapes only. I would guess 95% of interviewees were black and at least 50% of them were well overweight and in striking contrast to the blacks in the Congo. One shop had a large sign reading SEE YOUR FOOD.

I also noticed that the new political map retains an enclosed area with no blue inside it and no red outside it.

Have the Dems achieved the filibuster proof 60 seats in the Senate?

What's the DOW doing?

"Don't follow leaders--watch the parking meters."

The DOW is almost 300 points down, which is not as unusual as it once was. It is swinging wildly these days.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:02 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Have you been drinking again Spendi?
Colorado and New Mexico are hardly outside the red.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:11 pm
@CoastalRat,
apologizes accepted, and I can not think of a better quote to extend my hand in reconciliation than that with which I ended my first post.

Quote:
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

And as I wrote only moments ago to rex red on another thread:

Quote:
It is perhaps true that the America I call home is not the one that you call home, but I do hope and pray that while we may not share the same home that all Americans can live in the same neigborhood, where our best days lay before us and we can continue to move forward towards a more true social union for our descendents and where we can continue to stand as a shining beacon of freedom on a hill to light all mankind.

So, while my America came home to me yesterday, I know that it will come home to you if you have faith in it.

And do you know why? Because we are AMERICANS.

blatham

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 01:29 pm
@kuvasz,
Quote:
Because we are AMERICANS.

"I'm not"
kuvasz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:01 pm
@blatham,
We are all americans because we all live in a world that continues to resonate from a simple, self evident yet revolutionary statement written in america in 1776,

"all men are created equal."
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:15 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Hey, guys, girls . . . it's election night . . . where the hell are ya?

Anybody seen any conservatives tonight?

I cant speak for any other conservatives, but I was in bed.
I have a job and have to get up at 2:30 in the morning, so I couldnt stay up all night watching the election returns.
I didnt even know who won till this morning.

Having said that, I will say congratulations to Obama and the dems in winning this election.
Obama ran an almost flawless campaign, and deserved to win.

I will admit I still have my doubts about him, simply because he made more promises then he can possibly deliver, so something will have to be sacrificed.
But what will that something be?

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:19 pm
@mysteryman,
Obviously, you couldn't stay up late in your situation. But you wouldn't have needed to have stayed up all night. It was over a hell of a lot faster than most of us thought it would be, even the most sanguine, even the biggest Obama supporters. McCain was making his graceful exit before 11:30 EST, and Obama was making his victory speech by midnight Eastern.

That being said, there was still a noticeable lack of conservatives who usually frequent this site for most of the evening. Since that time, many of them (most?) have made decent responses to something which they deplore, even if not all of them can rein in their sarcasm--Finn's remarks were rather "left-handed." There have been a few nut jobs, though, who have gone really over the top. Everyone here knows who they are, and this election result has really exposed those who are severe nut cases, and clearly distinguished them from the reasonable conservative voices here.