MacBook - anyone have one?

Mame

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:30 am
I'm thinking of getting a MacBook. Has anyone here bought one and what do you think of it?

The current price is about $1250 (taxes included), with an upgrade to 2 Gigs hard drive... do you think that's too much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 2,875 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:39 am
Macs are always expensive, why would anyone buy one?

(I have a MacBook Pro. I love it to bits. Love it. Love it. Love it.)

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:18 am
@Mame,
My daughter bought one for college. She loves it - and I don't have to support it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:45 am
@Mame,
I have one - never had anything but Macs, and would not have anything else.
The price is right (incl. tax) but you'll get quite a bit of software on it, plus
the upgrades run automatically, so no worry.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:00 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

(I have a MacBook Pro. I love it to bits. Love it. Love it. Love it.)

I want one too. Crying or Very sad
My G4 laptop, although very cute back in the day, is almost obsolete now. That's the drag, no way to upgrade the system.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:01 am
@Mame,
3x the cost of a non-Mac laptop here in Tranna
better be damn good
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:42 am
@Mame,
I just have a regular Mac desktop, love it, love it, love it.

(I've had pcs at work for years. Eh!)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:44 am
@ehBeth,
You're kidding! 3x? Maybe I should order it from Toronto instead of from Apple directly. I'll have to do some research on that.
Mame

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:45 am
@Mame,
Oops - didn't read your post right, ehBeth. And yes, they are worth it.
Mame

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:47 pm
@Mame,
Well, I bought one the other day, got everything hooked up and working and all my files transferred over - yay. What a wonderful machine!
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:53 pm
@Mame,
Is this your first Mac? If so, are you having an easy or difficult time adjusting to the differences in the user interface and operating systems? What are the noticeable differences and habits you'll need to break yourself of while using the Mac?

If not your first, how different is it from your other Mac?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:53 pm
@Mame,
By the way, congratulations and well done on getting it set up and your files transferred.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 01:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Is this your first Mac? If so, are you having an easy or difficult time adjusting to the differences in the user interface and operating systems? What are the noticeable differences and habits you'll need to break yourself of while using the Mac?

If not your first, how different is it from your other Mac?

Hi BFN:
This is my second one. I couldn't stand the first one because I had to work and didn't have time to adjust to all the differences.

The Mac is so much better. I changed back to the Mac because Windows and all the related programs kept crashing and it was frustrating.

I read the little manual and use the Help button quite a bit right now, but it's wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Lots of things are automatic - like it recognized my printer immediately and I didn't have to download a thing. The mike and speakers are great, and it has a built-in video cam.

I also downloaded a free Office program (NeoOffice) which mimics Word, Excel and PPS. Free!! No problems at all. It opens and reads all my files.

Still a little adjusting and learning to do, but so easy.

People who use Macs generally don't revert to PCs, and there is no problem file-sharing between the two. It's just so much more reliable than any PC I've ever used.

I imported all my iTunes, photos, favourites (bookmarks) and cookies... takes no time at all. And I'm learning to use the calendar, mail, address book and other features (keystrokes) bit by bit.

This one cost me about $1200 and I had a 15% discount through a friend. Online, you can order them for about $1225 (with a 2 GB upgraded RAM - it comes with 1 GB).

The other thing is that Macs don't depreciate the ways PCs do. People keep them forever and just upgrade their programs when notified (it's automatic).

Are you thinking of getting one?

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 01:04 pm
@Mame,
It is first on my list of considerations the next time I need to replace this desktop PC. It will mostly depend on price.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 01:05 pm
my last pc was dying a slow painful death, so i replaced it with a mac mini

love it, no blue screens of death

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 11:38 am
Mame,

Apple is having a great one-day sale on the MacBook today if you're still interested and ready to buy.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 11:41 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a MacBook. Has anyone here bought one and what do you think of it?

The current price is about $1250 (taxes included), with an upgrade to 2 Gigs hard drive... do you think that's too much?

Surely you mean 2 gigs RAM? I would hope Macbooks are shipping with bigger HDs than that these days.

Cycloptichorn
Mame

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 12:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, yes, I meant RAM, sorry.

Bought it already - got a 15% discount so it cost me just a little more than the sale and I'm okay with that. Lovely.
0 Replies