Woiyo9

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 06:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Why would anybody intentionally wish to discriminate against somebody they don't even know, and will not harm them personally in any way?

Because, as the Court said (and what I have argued forever) there is no discrimination.

I accept the fact that you and "yours" will never understand that. Yet, that is the fact and facts are hard to accept sometimes.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 06:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Why so many people fear gay marriage is a mystery without good answers.

Why do you think we fear it? We disagree with it.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 09:22 am
@Woiyo9,
Wrong -- the court state the judges hands were because but it wasn't in the courts power to strike down an amendment. It could not be construed by the court to be a revision where the legislature would have to ratify the voter outcome. Whether they each believe it was discrimination and wrong was not a factor. It's only the word "marriage" that was disconnected from existing California law for civil partnerships:

California high court upholds Prop. 8

The justices uphold the same-sex marriage ban but also rule that the 18,000 gay couples who wed before November will stay married. The decision is sure to spark another ballot box fight.
By Maura Dolan
May 27, 2009
Reporting from San Francisco -- The California Supreme Court's decision Tuesday to uphold Proposition 8 and existing same-sex marriages left in place all rights for California's gays and lesbians except access to the label "marriage," but it provided little protection from future ballot measures that could cost gays and other minorities more rights, lawyers and scholars said Tuesday.

In a 6-1 ruling, the court said the November ballot measure that restored a ban on same-sex marriage was a limited constitutional amendment, not a wholesale revision that would have required a two-thirds vote of the Legislature to be placed before voters.

The court was unanimous in deciding that an estimated 18,000 same-sex couples who married before the November election would continue to have their marriages recognized by the state.

Proposition 8 merely "carves out a narrow and limited exception" to the state constitutional protection gays and lesbians now receive, Chief Justice Ronald M. George wrote for the majority.

The court majority said same-sex couples would continue to have the right to choose life partners and enter into "committed, officially recognized and protected family relationships" that enjoy all the benefits of marriage under the state's domestic partnership law.

"Like opposite-sex couples, same-sex couples enjoy this protection not as a matter of legislative grace, but of constitutional right," George wrote.
[/b]

UC Berkeley constitutional law professor Goodwin Liu said the ruling shows "the court continues to be very deferential to the processes of direct democracy in California."

In a separate, concurring opinion, Associate Justice Kathryn Mickle Werdegar noted some rights married couples have that domestic partners do not, and suggested that the state now has the duty "to eliminate the remaining important differences."

She agreed with the majority that Proposition 8 was not an illegal constitutional revision, but said the ruling's definition of revision was too inflexible.

Describing Proposition 8's "limited effect," the majority said that simply reserving the term "marriage" for opposite-sex couples "does not have a substantial, or, indeed, even a minimal effect on the governmental plan or framework of California that existed prior to the amendment."

In deciding that gay couples who married in California before the November election will remain married, the court said it would be unfair and might even invite chaos to nullify marriages those couples entered into lawfully.

Ending those marriages would be akin to "throwing property rights into disarray, destroying the legal interests and expectations of thousands of couples and their families, and potentially undermining the ability of citizens to plan their lives according to the law as it has been determined by the state's highest court," George wrote.

Portions of the majority ruling read as a lament over the ease with which the California Constitution can be amended.

The 136-page majority decision contained a lengthy history of the state Constitution and the ballot amendment process and distinguished California's amendment process from those of other states and the federal Constitution.

"If the process for amending the constitution is to be restricted," George wrote, "this is an effort that the people themselves may undertake."

It is neither impossible nor improper to limit how voters may change the Constitution, George wrote.

"We have no doubt that an express restriction could be fashioned that would limit the use of the initiative power in the manner proposed by petitioners -- but the California Constitution presently contains no limits of this nature," he said.

By stressing that only the term "marriage" was affected by the November election, the court seemed to signal that a broader ballot measure might not be upheld.

But the court's definition of what would be an impermissible constitutional revision was also narrow and left gay rights activists nervous and several legal scholars skeptical.

Balance of article is here:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gay-marriage27-2009may27,0,7752874.story

I realize the gloaters are not going to delve into reading everything including the entire decision and I've discusses it with my attorney friend (and client) yesterday afternoon who is now an Orange County District Attorney. A California gay couple could apply for a marriage license and it would be refused. They then can appeal to the courts on the wording of the California amendment and take it clear to the USSC. What a short memory some have on this forum. They don't remember the striking down of sodomy laws due to one case in Texas?

I agree that we're dealing with semantics, that the word marriage is only an objection not of the actual right to form a domestic union but using a loaded word that somehow denotes religious sanction. The point has been that the word doesn't denote religious sanction and a civil union may have a ceremony in a church (the nationwide Metropolitan Communit Church does it all the time). That's where the tangling of semantics begins to occur. The same words of a ceremony can be used without the word marriage but if the word is used, there is no legal ramification. This is more complex than the simpletons will ever figure out, so when the Proposition show up on the ballot next year to allow marriage licenses instead of civil union licenses, they same battle will take place but I'm doubting the Mormons will want to again be financially involved.

From Lone Star Times:

California Supremes Uphold Voters’ Gay Marriage Ban
by RickG · 05/26/2009 1:47 pm

By a 6-1 vote, the California Supreme Court has upheld a ban on gay marriage voted by the public, noting that the citizens have a right to change their constitution through the ballot box.

That may seem an elementary proposition, but remember that many state officials, including moonbat attorney general Jerry Brown and failed governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, were against the ban and hoped the Surpeme Court would decide that the people could not prohibit gay marriage (even by changing the consitution) because it was such a fundamental right. Brown even went against the public he supposedly represents by pressing the court to overturn the ban.

The court concluded:

“In a sense, petitioners’ and the attorney general’s complaint is that it is just too easy to amend the California constitution through the initiative process. But it is not a proper function of this court to curtail that process; we are constitutionally bound to uphold it.”

(The politicians argued that any such measure was too important to allow the people to vote unless the measure was first approved by the legislature.)

The decision was not a total win for traditional marriage advocates, as the court let stand the 18,000 gay marriages that occurred between the time the court ruled in favor of gay marriage and the time the ballot initiative banned it.

Gay activists immediately promised to take the fight back to the ballot box hoping to repeal the ban.

End of quote

By next year it's not hard to figure out that there will be seven, eight or even nine states allowing gay marriage and more allowing civil unions. Your so-called "facts," are not facts at all.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 09:34 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Why so many people fear gay marriage is a mystery without good answers.

Why do you think we fear it? We disagree with it.

No, you don't. You fear it. If you disagreed with it, you wouldn't care what other people do with THEIR lives - instead, you fear what it will do to YOUR life. This is the entire underlying reason for your and others' bigotry.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 09:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It seems Brandon doesn't know the difference between a "disagreement" and trying to enforce their own homophobic discrimination against people who are no more good or bad than heterosexuals.

That's fear.

WMDs anyone?
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 10:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
The word marriage seems to bring up negative emotions, both for those wanting it denied to same sex couples, and by the same sex couples being denied. Where it has been allowed, those objecting have shrunk down to almost nil -- mainly because the fear of how it would change their lives was unfounded.

In truth, most of them don't even want civil unions but would only relent because it doesn't contain the word marriage. They falsely believe that's the end of it -- kind of like the old burnt offering.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:00 pm
Gay marriage battle relaunches today as Prop. 8 is challenged in court
7:58 AM | May 27, 2009

A new front in the battle over gay marriage in California will open today when two prominent attorneys will challenge Proposition 8 in federal court.

The attorneys, who argued on opposite sides of the Bush vs. Gore election case in 2000, will hold a press conference announcing a federal lawsuit and calls for the restoration of gay marriage until the case is decided.

Former U.S. Solicitor General Theodore B. Olson and David Boies, who represented then-Vice President Al Gore in the contested election, have joined forces to tackle the same-sex-marriage issue, which has deeply divided Californians and left 18,000 gay couples married last year in legal isolation. The lawyers are scheduled to appear this morning at the BIltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles.

In a project of the American Foundation for Equal Rights, Olson and Boies have united to represent two same-sex couples filing suit after being denied marriage licenses because of Proposition 8.

Their lawsuit, to be filed in U.S. District Court in California, calls for an injunction against the proposition, allowing immediate reinstatement of marriage rights for same-sex couples.

The California Supreme Court ruled in May 2008 that state law prohibiting same-sex marriage was unconstitutional under the privacy, due process and equal protection guarantees of the California Constitution.

But in November, voters passed Proposition 8, which amended the state Constitution to restrict marriage to between a man and a woman. The high court upheld the voter initiative in a 6-1 ruling Tuesday, with Justice Carlos Moreno dissenting.

Legal scholars have observed that proponents of gay marriage have avoided taking the issue to federal court so far because of the dominance of conservative judges and justices on the federal bench after the eight-year tenure of President George W. Bush.

The U.S. Supreme Court has what usually results in a 5-4 majority against extending rights to gays by recognizing sexual orientation as a vulnerable class of citizens in need of protection.

And all but one of the 13 federal appeals circuits has a reliable conservative majority. Even the exception, the San Francisco-based U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, experienced a curtailing of its liberal orientation with Bush’s seven appointments.

-- Carol J. Williams
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:09 pm
From The Desert Sun, Palm Springs which has a huge gay population and number of business:

Gay groups call federal marriage suit premature

LISA LEFF • Associated Press Writer • May 27, 2009

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A coalition of gay rights groups said Wednesday a federal same-sex marriage lawsuit brought by two high-profile lawyers is premature and they'd rather work through state legislatures and voters to win wedding rights.
Advertisement

The American Civil Liberties Union, Lambda Legal and other national organizations issued a statement saying they think the U.S. Supreme Court is not ready to rule in their favor on the issue.

"In our view, the best way to win marriage equality nationally is to continue working state by state, not to bring premature federal challenges that pose a very high risk of setting a negative U.S. Supreme Court precedent," said Shannon Minter, legal director of National Center for Lesbian Rights.

The statement came the day after Theodore B. Olson and David Boies, who represented opposing sides in the 2000 Bush v. Gore election challenge, announced they had filed a lawsuit in federal court on behalf of two gay men and two gay women.

Their case argues that California's voter-enacted ban on same-sex marriage, known as Proposition 8, violates the U.S. constitutional guarantee of equal protection and due process.

Olson said he hopes the suit, which seeks a preliminary injunction against the California measure until the case is resolved, will wind up before the U.S. Supreme Court.

A favorable ruling there would allow gays and lesbians to get married in every state, just as the court's 1967 ruling in a Virginia case outlawed prohibitions on interracial marriage.

"There will be many people who will think this is not the time to go to federal," Olson said during a news conference in Los Angeles Wednesday. "Both David and I have studied the court for more years than probably either one of us would like to admit. "We think we know what we are doing."

Boies agreed: "Reasonable minds can differ, but when you have people being denied civil rights today, I think it is impossible as lawyers and as an American to say, 'No, you have to wait, now is not the right time.' I think if we had done that in prior civil rights battles, we would not be where we are."

(2 of 2)

Chad Griffin, a gay political consultant and former aide to President Bill Clinton, said he first approached Olson about taking on the case several months ago while the California Supreme Court was considering several legal challenges to Proposition 8.

On Tuesday, the court rejected those challenges and upheld the state's gay marriage ban. The court said same-sex couples still have the right to civil unions and the law does not "entirely repeal or abrogate" the right to a protected relationship.

"For even one couple to live through even one more day in state-sanctioned second-class citizenship is too long," Griffin said.

The court last year ruled that denying same-sex couples the right to wed violated the state constitution. An estimated 18,000 gay couples married in the months preceding the passage in November of Proposition 8, which changed the constitution to say marriage can only be between a man and a woman.

While upholding the ban Tuesday, the justices said the marriages conducted while such unions were allowed could stand.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:11 pm
Anybody who thought the fight was over (won't mention names) area sadly mistaken. I suggest they return to their own private heterosexual wet daydreams.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:29 pm
Schwarzenegger says the fight for gay marriage not over yet

Posted: May 27, 2009 09:12 AM ABC News

Schwarzenegger says the fight for gay marriage not over yet

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Reported by: Bethany Tucker

Governor Schwarzenegger says he doesn't think the fight for gay marriage in his state is over yet.

The governor has not directly said whether he agrees or disagrees with the court's ruling, but in an appearance on the "Tonight Show with Jay Leno" the governor says he will honor the decision.

"We'll uphold the law. We respect the court's decision, and I think that this is not over, this decision," said Governor Schwarzenegger. "Because I think they're going to be back, they will be in a year or two, they will be back again with another initiative trying to get it. And eventually it's going to be overturned. I'm sure of that."

Two of the nation's top attorneys have joined forces to seek federal court intervention in the gay marriage controversy. Theodore Olson and David Boies have filed a U.S. district court lawsuit on behalf of two gay couples. They say they hope the case will end up before the U.S. Supreme Court.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
No, you don't. You fear it. If you disagreed with it, you wouldn't care what other people do with THEIR lives - instead, you fear what it will do to YOUR life. This is the entire underlying reason for your and others' bigotry.

Right. So, whenever someone disagrees with a viewpoint, it is because they fear the other viewpoint? You seriously believe that? So nobody can disagree with another person's view just because they hold a differing opinion, it's only fear?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:12 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

Quote:

Right. So, whenever someone disagrees with a viewpoint, it is because they fear the other viewpoint? You seriously believe that?

You are mischaracterizing my argument. See, it's not just someone's 'viewpoint' that is being discussed here; but efforts to deny others' rights in the name of your 'viewpoint.' This effort is born out of fear.

For example, I don't like country music. I just don't get it. That's a viewpoint - and like you said, that doesn't indicate fear.

But I'm not trying to outlaw or KEEP outlawed country music based on my viewpoint. Why not? Because there is no reason to. Neither I nor anyone else in society has anything to fear from it.

So, what is the reason that gay marriage should be OUTLAWED? Because you disagree with it? Or because you fear the effects of legalizing it? The answer is quite obviously the second. Disagreement with something isn't a strong enough reason to oppose others engaging in that behavior.

Quote:
So nobody can disagree with another person's view just because they hold a differing opinion, it's only fear?

Obviously not, as I have shown above.

Let's look at how this works:

Cyc: Gays should be able to marry.

CR: I disagree, I don't think Gay is acceptable.

Cyc: So what? You don't have to be gay. How are you hurt by letting others do what they want to do?

CR: ????

What would you answer there, that would provide a justification for you fighting to keep people from enjoying rights, in the privacy of their lives, which would NOT amount of 'fear of what will happen if we allow it?' I'd really like to hear. Every answer given by the anti-equality crowd that I've ever seen, revolves around fear.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Incorrect.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:22 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Incorrect.

No, I'm pretty sure it's correct. Thanks though.

Also, it's more effective if you try and come up with your own shtick, rather than jacking others'.

Cycloptichorn
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:24 pm
I know this isn't just a Republican issue, but it IS a signature issue of that party. Given that, how can they seriously claim they are for individual rights when every time you look around they're restricting another one?
McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:28 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

I know this isn't just a Republican issue, but it IS a signature issue of that party. Given that, how can they seriously claim they are for individual rights when every time you look around they're restricting another one?

Some examples? I just looked around and didn't see any being restricted.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Incorrect.

Also, it's more effective if you try and come up with your own shtick, rather than jacking others'.

Cycloptichorn

Nope, you are still incorrect. You are trying desperately to make personal morality equate to fear and that just isn't correct no matter how many times you use the word bigot.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:33 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Incorrect.

Cycloptichorn

Nope, you are still incorrect. You are trying desperately to make personal morality equate to fear and that just isn't correct no matter how many times you use the word bigot.

When you attempt to use your personal morality to outlaw the actions of others, you are acting out of fear of the results of others' actions, Mcg. You just don't want to admit that in your heart you are scared of the fags, because part of your persona depends on feeling superior to them.

My statement remains correct. Neither you nor any other supporter of discrimination - which is to say, bigots - have explained what your rationale is for denying rights to others, and is not based on fear. You certainly have had the chance to do so.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

When you attempt to use your personal morality to outlaw the actions of others, you are acting out of fear of the results of others' actions, Mcg. You just don't want to admit that in your heart you are scared of the fags, because part of your persona depends on feeling superior to them.

My statement remains correct. Neither you nor any other supporter of discrimination - which is to say, bigots - have explained what your rationale is for denying rights to others, and is not based on fear. You certainly have had the chance to do so.

Cycloptichorn

This is why your argument falls apart. I am not using my personal morality to outlaw anything. You keep banging away with your "bigot" as though you might shame me, or others, into suddenly realizing I am wrong about my opinion. Like anyone here actually cares what someone on an anonymous internet forum actually thinks.

I have stated plenty of times on these fora that I wholeheartedly agree that homosexuals deserve to have the same coupling rights as anyone else through a government sanctioned civil union. However, I balk at calling it a marriage as that has religious implications and I see no reason to force others to recognize a homosexual union as a marriage.

You keep blathering on about fear and bigots though. It does nothing to help the homosexual community achieve their goals though. All it does is piss off the voters who get to make the decisions en masse. Keep calling them bigots and watch the results. Nothing polarizes people better then insulting them and at this time, they have the majority opinion. I am sure you don't care though, after all, they are just bigots.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:46 pm
Prop. 8, McG.
0 Replies