Diest TKO

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 09:03 pm
@Copper Seth,
Copper Seth wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

choice?

If it was a choice, it would be the choice to follow their own nature.
If it was a choice, it would be a very dangerous one considering all the idiots in this world that are willing to physically harm someone because they are gay.

If it was a choice, it's a brave one to make. The only choice is which side of the closet door they want to be on. People like you don't understand homosexuality so you reduce it's existence into something you can understand and judge. I'm not convinced you have a real understanding of this issue to really speak.

You don't owe an argument to Debra, Cyclo or myself. You owe a rationale to a gay couple face to face. You deserve the shame of seeing how it hurts them. You deserve the discomfort that comes with explaining how it's so goddamn important to you that they don't marry. You owe it to them to get a ******* clue.

T
K
O

I was given a link to this article by a gay friend.
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1815538,00.html?cnn=yes

I'd like to point out though that they have not discovered the causal flow in these studies. We can all agree that while physiological characteristics may influence our behavior or capabilities, the reverse is also true. Our behaviors and actions can affect our physiological characteristics. If one does not exercise his left bicep, it can atrophy. However, if someone exercises that same muscle regularly, it grows stronger and more dense. Homosexual behavior may very likely be responsible for the changes that take place in the brain. Certain sections of the brain may "atrophy" or grow stronger.

You obviously didn't understand the article. Nowhere did the article suggest or even hint that a gay man's brain architecture was the way it was as the product of the man's mental exercise.

The article does however support that it is nature not nurture that results in homosexuality.

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:06 pm
@Diest TKO,
the nature/nurture argument as to cause of homosexual desire has been going on for a long time, and probably will go on for a long time still. I see no reason to get into that can of worms. We know that homosexuality has been around for all of history. The question is should society encourage, discourage or be neutral towards it. There are reasonable arguments for all three approaches, which is why it is offensive when the gay rights people morally castigate those who argue that it should continue to be discouraged.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
the nature/nurture argument as to cause of homosexual desire has been going on for a long time, and probably will go on for a long time still. I see no reason to get into that can of worms.

The nature of the controversy on this topic is much similar to the controversy on the issue of creationism. The creationism people like to play down the degree of what we know to perpetuate the controversy.

I can understand why this is a can of worms you'd rather leave sealed.
hawkeye10 wrote:
We know that homosexuality has been around for all of history.

A fact you should think about in greater detail.
hawkeye10 wrote:
The question is should society encourage, discourage or be neutral towards it. There are reasonable arguments for all three approaches, which is why it is offensive when the gay rights people morally castigate those who argue that it should continue to be discouraged.

I have no problem answering your question, and I'll get to that in a moment. However, this is NOT in fact the question at hand. The question is in fact: "Can a majority discriminate a minority using it's governing documents which protect against discrimination?"

As for your question encouraging, discouraging, or being indifferent towards someone who is gay has a zero effect on the fact that they are gay. Is that fact that being gay itself is not illegal a government encouragement to be gay? NO. Neither is gays being able to marry.

What's the angle here Hawkeye? Fact: People are gay. What is there to discourage? That fact?

As for morally castigating those who feel it should be discouraged, I don't see what the problem is. Do you find the same disgust in the moral castigation of those who don't feel it should be discouraged? One group is fighting for their rights, the other is fighting to deny others their rights. The gays and gay supporters have the moral and ethical high ground here.

Your premise is based on the notion that granting gays these rights is the government encouraging gay activity. Your premise is wrong, therefore you conclusion was determined to be wrong.

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:44 pm
@Diest TKO,
granting a group benefits and rights that the have not had before now in this nation would tend to encourage the behaviour. The Majority may or may not want to go in this direction. There is also the possibility that the society majority may be willing to tolerate homosexual activity so long as it remains culturally disapproved and is conducted behind closed doors, which is about where we were fifty years ago. This is a perfectly reasonable balance between the right to be homosexual and the societies right to discourage the practice.

Your premise that homosexual expression is a individual right it wrong. It is according to the Bible a sin, and the founders chose not to explicitly grant homosexuals rights in the constitution. Gays claim that they have the right to said expression, you and clearly agree, based upon what I ask you? Why should the majority be forced to put up with this Biblical sin, this behaviour that the founders did not think should be protected, if homosexuality should be against the will of the majority?? I would be fine with homosexuals trying to convince the majority, but I am very not fine with being told that homosexuals must be given rights and privileges irregardless of what the majority thinks is best.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:49 am
@hawkeye10,
Straight men are not going to start having gay marriages Hawkeye10. What behavior is being encouraged by this? Being gay? Is gay sex going to skyrocket if they can marry? I'd like to see the metrics on that.

Hawkeye10 wrote:
There is also the possibility that the society majority may be willing to tolerate homosexual activity so long as it remains culturally disapproved and is conducted behind closed doors, which is about where we were fifty years ago. This is a perfectly reasonable balance between the right to be homosexual and the societies right to discourage the practice.

Glad to know you'd be happy to be back where we were 50 years ago. What are you citing in regaurds to "society's right to discourage the practice?" Kind of conflicts with the right to the "pursuit of happiness."

Hawkeye10 wrote:
Your premise that homosexual expression is a individual right it wrong.

Unless it's illegal, I'm right. It's not illegal to be gay. Deal with it.

Hawkeye10 wrote:
It is according to the Bible a sin, and the founders chose not to explicitly grant homosexuals rights in the constitution.

This is a lie. Explicitly? Do you know what that word means? Please show me where the founders explicitly even referenced homosexuals otherwise withdrawal your statement. Lastly, the bible is irrelevant. It's not a governing document.

Hawkeye10 wrote:
Gays claim that they have the right to said expression, you and clearly agree, based upon what I ask you?

Aside from common sense...

Universal Declaration of Human Rights (US signed 1948 Paris)
Quote:
Article 16
1. Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
2. Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
3. The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.

None of this excludes homosexuals. You wish to consciously prohibit gays from founding a family.

Hawkeye10 wrote:
Why should the majority be forced to put up with this Biblical sin, this behaviour that the founders did not think should be protected, if homosexuality should be against the will of the majority?

Why? Because there is nothing the gays are making you put up with. Nothing. It's in your head. You aren't being asked to be less straight/more gay. You aren't asked to do anything different, you aren't being asked to put up with anything. That's an absurd claim. Can't handle the knowledge that gay people exist? Grow up. It's not the government's job to baby you. Once again, the bible is completely irrelevant.

Hawkeye10 wrote:
I would be fine with homosexuals trying to convince the majority, but I am very not fine with being told that homosexuals must be given rights and privileges irregardless of what the majority thinks is best.

What the majority thinks is best? Best for what?

The majority thinks they know what's best for the minority? How do you figure that?

The majority thinks they know best for all? This doesn't effect everyone, it effects the minority.

The majority thinks they know what best for the majority? In this case, nothing changes for the majority! Straight couples don't become any less married if gays marry.

There is no factual, or logical basis for your claims Hawkeye.
K
O
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:18 pm
@Copper Seth,
Copper Seth wrote:
We are not going to back over old debates (the gay marriage rights). I've covered this subject with you before. I know your side and you know mine. There is no point to rehash out old points if you have no new information.

Why would I expect you to "rehash" something that you didn't bother to "hash" in the first place. You're simply avoiding the undeniable fact that you're guilty of the unconstitutional and immoral oppression of others.

Copper Seth wrote:
Okay Diest TKO and Debra proove to me that it isn't a choice. Show me some scientific evidence that they were born with ABSOLUTELY NO CHOICE but to be gay. Show me the scientific proof. Saying that you always felt that way is unverifiable. Therefore, not enough evidence to pursuade me that I'm wrong in my assumption. On my side, look at how men and women are created. We were created to be together. Nature argues against you. The fact that such a small portion of society is homosexual argues against you as well. That's where I'll start on my side that it has to be a choice. Your turn.

Prove to me that your heterosexuality isn't a choice. After all, you could "choose" to abstain from engaging in a consensual sexual relationship with a person whom you are innately attracted--but would that "choice" make you any the less heterosexual? Why don't you join a monestery and engage in a daily ritual of self-flagellation. Perhaps you erroneously believe that you can beat your innate sexuality out of yourself as a human being, but we KNOW that you cannot.

Let us outlaw your pending marriage to your fiancee and forbid you from having any kind of intimate relationship with her or any other person whom you may be attracted to under the penalty of our criminal law. If we make it impossible for you to pursue happiness, then our society will be better. Right? If you don't agree with that, then you must accept that denying other people the ability to pursue their happiness doesn't make our society better either.

From your very first post, you have ignored everything that our constitutional republic embodies: Liberty and Justice for ALL. The fact that two gay people may choose to marry each other does not involve any interference with your choice to marry your fiancee. As Justice Blackmun correctly stated, "the mere knowledge that other individuals do not adhere to one's value system cannot be a legally cognizable interest, let alone an interest that can justify invading the houses, hearts, and minds of citizens who choose to live their lives differently."

Because you choose to deny to others the fundamental rights that you demand for yourself, you are an oppressor. Deny it if it makes you feel better, but it's true.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:32 pm
Debra Law Says =
Quote:
Let us outlaw your pending marriage to your fiancee and forbid you from having any kind of intimate relationship with her or any other person whom you may be attracted to under the penalty of our criminal law. If we make it impossible for you to pursue happiness, then our society will be better.

Once again , you exaggerate the issue at Prop 8 and the entire homosexual debate has nothing to do with how people feel about each other.

In your ever ending battle to twist the truth, you have yet you show how homosexuals are harmed, outside of being unable to file a joint tax return.

Keep trying!
Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:59 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9, in utter stupidity, claims the defining virtue of our fundamental right to marry the person of our choice is the ability to file a joint tax return. He fails to understand that any addition or subtraction of marital benefits or responsibilities by and through the legislature does not make a married couple any more or any less married. The legislature could abolish all tax benefits based on marital status tomorrow, yet married couples would still be married.

We--the modern day oppressors of individuals and minorities (Woiyo9, BillRM, Copper Zeth, et al.)--pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for ALL--except homosexuals and others whom we disfavor.

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:05 pm
@Debra Law,
Very good Debra. Did you learn that style of arguing from your day or 2 in Law School?

Since you can not prove any discrimination (except tax filing status), what is the point of your above post?

Again, show me where there is harm else shut the eff up.
Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:19 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:
Since you can not prove any discrimination (except tax filing status), what is the point of your above post?

Why don't you read what has been posted? A couple's right to marry is controlled by the government. Under our supreme law, that right must be available to all persons similarly situated. Committed heterosexual couples and committed homosexual couples are similarly situated. Yet, committed heterosexual couples may marry and committed homosexual couples may not. The exclusion of committed homosexual couples constitutes the unconstitutional discrimination because the exclusion in not necessary (narrowly tailored) to serve any legitimate or compelling state interest. The existence or nonexistence of tax benefits based on marital status has nothing to do with the fundamental right to acquire the status in the first place.
Woiyo9

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 02:18 pm
@Debra Law,
The State does have an interest and precedents have been established under the Morrill Act.

http://nboman.people.wm.edu/MormonsEUSC.pdf

The State does and continues to legislate social norms and homosexual marriage is a social interest the State does have an interest in.

http://www.onlineutah.com/polygamyhistoryembry.shtml

Disagree all you want, but social activity is something the State can and does legislate.
blueflame1

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:32 pm
Miami judge rules against Florida gay adoption ban
AP MIAMI " A judge on Tuesday ruled that a strict Florida law that blocks gay people from adopting children is unconstitutional, declaring there was no legal or scientific reason for sexual orientation alone to prohibit anyone from adopting.

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Cindy Lederman said the 31-year-old law violates equal protection rights for the children and their prospective gay parents, rejecting the state's arguments that there is "a supposed dark cloud hovering over homes of homosexuals and their children."

She noted that gay people are allowed to be foster parents in Florida. "There is no rational basis to prohibit gay parents from adopting," she wrote in a 53-page ruling.

Florida is the only state with an outright ban on gay adoption. Arkansas voters last month approved a measure similar to a law in Utah that bans any unmarried straight or gay couples from adopting or fostering children. Mississippi bans gay couples, but not single gays, from adopting.

The ruling means that Martin Gill, 47, and his male partner can adopt two brothers, ages 4 and 8, whom he has cared for as foster children since December 2004.

"I've never seen myself as less than anybody else," Gill said. "We're very grateful. Today, I've cried the first tears of joy in my life." http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081125/ap_on_re_us/gay_adoptions
Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:38 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

The State does have an interest and precedents have been established under the Morrill Act.

http://nboman.people.wm.edu/MormonsEUSC.pdf

The State does and continues to legislate social norms and homosexual marriage is a social interest the State does have an interest in.

http://www.onlineutah.com/polygamyhistoryembry.shtml

Disagree all you want, but social activity is something the State can and does legislate.

You haven't provided anything of substance. Simply alleging that the State has the power to legislate means nothing. I already know that the State has the power to make laws, but I also know there are constitutional limitations on that power. The State may not discriminate against individuals or classes of individuals unless doing so is necessary to serve a compelling state interest. Please identify the alleged compelling state interest at stake and state why excluding gay couples from the right to marry is necessary to serve that alleged interest.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:42 pm
@Debra Law,
Shorter wingnuts on this issue:

Quote:
Wingnut- “Homosexuals are filthy sodomites who should not have access to marriage.”

Evil gay person- “Nonsense. I demand the same rights as you and will fight for them.”

Wingnut- “Why won’t you respect my right to free speech?”

And there you have the wingnut understanding of the Constitution.

Per the esteemed John Cole.

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 04:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
LOL

Those silly wingnuts...
K
O
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 06:59 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
Please identify the alleged compelling state interest at stake and state why excluding gay couples from the right to marry is necessary to serve that alleged interest.

a) the strength of the social fabric is a state interest

thus

b) it is in the states interest to have standards and a definition of marriage. It is not in the states interest to allow any two people to claim that they are married because to do so would devalue marriage and thus destroy an institution that is vital to the health of the society. It is not in the states interest to hand out a marriage license to any two people who say that they want to go together on one. If marriage is to have any meaning then their must be some people who do not qualify, the question is not if there is a line but rather where is the line. If there are no standards then we must allow polygamy as well, are you ready for that? How about fathers marrying their daughters...is that fine with you?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:02 pm
@blueflame1,
Good on ya, Judge Lederman.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
The strength of social fabric is not challenged by gay marriage. Nor is marriage devalued.

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:42 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
The strength of social fabric is not challenged by gay marriage. Nor is marriage devalued.
there are a multitude of opinions on this, where the majority will end up be is not clear to me. I have seen studies that claim that the current majority is on the side of not allowing gay marriage, so it may be that we have decided that gay marriage does weaken the society.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
there are a multitude of opinions on this, where the majority will end up be is not clear to me. I have seen studies that claim that the current majority is on the side of not allowing gay marriage, so it may be that we have decided that gay marriage does weaken the society.

Making the choice that it weakens society is what weakens society, not what gays do. Where the majority ends up on this is irrelevant. They can't make 1+1 equal anything other than 2. They can't simply decide it destroys societal fabric either. What they can do however is destroy societal fabric and then blame gays.

If you can't back up the claim that gays harm societal fabric, you shouldn't have even said it to begin with.

T
K
O
0 Replies