What do I need in my new computer?

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:31 pm
According to Microsoft's Windows Vista Compatibility Center, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight is compatible with Vista.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 05:56 pm
@dlowan,
The Media Centers I talk about are computers, but they are best when not used as a computer. Basically it's software for use at a distance and for use with a TV signal.

For a traditional desktop computer, any modern CPU is good enough for what you want, and you should just make sure to get enough RAM (at least 2GB) and disc space (at least 200 GB) and you should be fine. Having a graphics card can help with gaming on the highest settings but you should be fine without one as long as you have the RAM. For your computer use RAM is the bottleneck and 2GB should make everything run smoothly for you.

You can get such a computer for under $400 in the US (not sure about Oz, I'm sure it's more expensive there).

On a side note, I recommend a nice large (19" or more) flat screen. You can get those for under $300 and you'll appreciate the screen real estate more than most things you can do to upgrade your computer.
dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 06:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

The Media Centers I talk about are computers, but they are best when not used as a computer. Basically it's software for use at a distance and for use with a TV signal.

For a traditional desktop computer, any modern CPU is good enough for what you want, and you should just make sure to get enough RAM (at least 2GB) and disc space (at least 200 GB) and you should be fine. Having a graphics card can help with gaming on the highest settings but you should be fine without one as long as you have the RAM. For your computer use RAM is the bottleneck and 2GB should make everything run smoothly for you.

You can get such a computer for under $400 in the US (not sure about Oz, I'm sure it's more expensive there).

On a side note, I recommend a nice large (19" or more) flat screen. You can get those for under $300 and you'll appreciate the screen real estate more than most things you can do to upgrade your computer.

Thank you.

No, I most certainly will not be able to get a computer for anything remotely resembling $400.

Do you want to weigh in on the Vista/XP thing?

You guys are talking about an even newer Windows platform, too??????
dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 06:31 pm
@parados,
Thankee.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 06:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

According to Microsoft's Windows Vista Compatibility Center, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight is compatible with Vista.

Cool..thanks.

Intrepid wrote:

Flight Simulator 2004 is compatible with VISTA so I assume it should work on just about anything current.

One fervently hopes so!

Setanta wrote:

You will want to have a sufficient video card for the game (we spoke about this a couple of years ago, but perhaps you don't recall). You'll want 256 megabytes of on-board memory for the video card, which is memory on the video card itself, in addition to the RAM (random access memory) of computer--512 megabytes would be better, but 256 should be quite sufficient.

Roger has a good point about the operating system. I bought a copy of Dungeon Siege for five bucks not long ago, and that game came out in 2002--and i have had, nevertheless, problems with it. You should be alright with a game which came out in 2004, though. But Microsoft has a reputation for not supporting the games it publishes (Dungeon Siege, by Gas Powered Games, was published and distributed by Microsoft), once it has moved on to a newer operating system, or to newer games.

Good luck.

Yeah...I recall and couldn't afford it at the time......Monger gave me things to download that made it work, kind of, but never remotely decently.

littlek wrote:

Dlowan, I'd wait out the Vista operating system. At least long enough to see what the new system is all about.

A question I hope the likes of Nick and Robert might weigh in on.

Thomas wrote:

Not much to add, except a question: If "newer operating system" means "Vista", are you sure you want it? When I bought my new laptop at the beginning of this year, the test reports I read said it's more trouble than it's worth, and that users are better off sticking with XP for now.

And Flight simulator 2004 has to run on XP, because that was the current OS when Microsoft released it.

1. Good question, as I said above, and 2. not so, it seems.

Other folks...thanks for the links and help.

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 09:07 pm
I've had no troubles with Vista.

I agree with the others that a nice largish monitor is a smart investment...they are cheap as hell now, make viewing/reading much more enjoyable and it will last you a long time. Dell makes good quality monitors (I have two in side by side orientation).

CNET has lots of reviews on computers and monitors...very handy resource. I never buy without checking them.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 10:01 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:

littlek wrote:

Dlowan, I'd wait out the Vista operating system. At least long enough to see what the new system is all about.

A question I hope the likes of Nick and Robert might weigh in on.

The operating system thing really depends on your situation, in my opinion. If you buy a name brand computer like Dell, it will come with Vista, and there is no reason to downgrade.

However, you mentioned you might have someone build the computer for you, correct? By that I assume they will just buy individual components, rather then a name brand like Dell. If you go this route, then you can pick whatever operating system you want. Do you already have a license of Windows XP? If you do, it might be worthwhile to just install your copy on the new computer. It will save you the money of buying Vista, and it is a very capable OS that you are already used to.

The new version of windows, 'Windows 7' is in a pre-beta state, and is likely to be released early 2010.

I personally prefer upgrading components over buying a whole new system, but you need someone knowledgeable to do that. The advantage, is it saves you from re-purchasing perfectly fine hardware. For example, I built my computer 8 years ago, and still use it. There isn't a single component that is original anymore, but I've never had a major expense all at once. One year I might upgrade the motherboard and CPU, the next I might add some RAM, I replaced the video card about 6 months ago when it failed, etc.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 11:40 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Do you want to weigh in on the Vista/XP thing?

Vista is a better operating system than XP, it didn't live up to it's hype after being delayed for years and it was poorly rolled out in that computer manufacturers were allowed to sell computers with hardware that didn't really support Vista (namely low RAM). There were also some fundamental changes in the operating system that caused incompatibility with some software and hardware and that's the cause of Vista bad rap is in a nutshell. As long as you have 2GB of RAM it's the best operating system Microsoft has made.
dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 12:15 am
@Nick Ashley,
That's intriguing....but I tend to like to have a bit of a clean sweep.

The guy who will likely do my coomputer will do whatever I want him to (unless it's something he thinks is nuts), so it's worth a thought.

But...aren't towers and such the cheapest bit? I mean, I need a new motherboard, new video etc card....I need more USB ports.....I DON'T, dammit, have a legal copy of Windows XP (I thought I did until they started downloading software that made you check).......my keyboard is bad (because I don't have enough things to plug the new-style keyboards into or the new style meece)...I think it's time for a whole new beast!

But...did you mention the XP thing because you think Vista not good, or just to save money???
dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 12:16 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thank you.
talk72000

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 03:01 am
@dlowan,
You should get a Double Layer DVD burner which will enable you to watch DVDs and also back up data, photos, files, folders and movies. Blue ray burner is too expensive right now.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 03:57 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

Guys, I just paid $499 Aus for one of these:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm310/Blitz50photos/msi-wind-u90.jpg
MSI Wind 90.

Can't play those big multi-user games or anything, but I don't want to do that. Doesn't have a CD-ROM burner - not a problem either. Will be just about right to let me study and job-search.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 04:01 am
What swung me to it? It still comes with XP, not Vista. **** that.

Tho, the asking price didn't actually cover XP. Whenever I opened an Office program wanted me to register and pay for the full licence. And a limited number of times to operate it 'on trial'. Went out and got the latest version of OpenOffice for free! Not a problem. Screw you, Bill Gates!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:15 am
Dell has some very capable (especially the Quad-Core processors) all-in-one desktop computers that look cool with a choice between 20" and 24" screens.

http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/Dell%20XPS%20One.JPG

XPS One All in One Desktops
Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:26 am
Deb, what you really need is something that will provide you with delicious bread-based edible products.....

...courtesy of a single-slice, USB powered, toasting, computer accessory.

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/gotchabox.jpg
dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:40 am
@InfraBlue,
Cool!

Pretty Dells!

Do they have the oomph?????
Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:46 am
And the power to create raisin toast from mere raisin loaf?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:47 am
@dlowan,
Deb

All in one's are limiting in that future alterations to them are difficult or impossible. And they are expensive. I wouldn't get one for myself even though many are (and that Dell is) wonderful examples of industrial design.

My present computer is an XPS from Dell and it's been completely delightful. You can go to their site and build your own computer, adding components and varying size/speed of your HD, video card, memory etc. Your final price is shown with each alteration as you make it.

So if you head in with a fairly clear idea of what you want/need, it's not at all a bad way to purchase.

ps...go to Dell Australia
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:49 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Are those 'ticklers' available too?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:31 am
I have a large laptop. wanna try it on for size?

wink wink... nudge nudge....
0 Replies