Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:26 am
The curse of Billy Penns HAt, a curse that haunted Philadelphia since 1984 (when the Penn Center building was begun) has finnaly been lifted, thanks to The Phillies with support by the Rouse Corporation , who, after considerable pressure, had included a small statue of Billy Penn into the top dressing of the NEW Comcast Center (Which is the tallest building in Philly and was, coincidentally, opened for business in June 2008 (approximately the same time that the Phillies began to show that they could be contenders )

SO< On October 29 2008, Our beloved Phillies, a team that suffers with some of the most passionate and cruel fans of any major league town. (I was at an Eagles game where the fans were booing Santa Claus for arriving late )WON THE WORLD SERIES YAAAAAAY.

Oh yeh, our closing Pitcher, Brad Lige did help a lot. Heres a pitcher who, after being tossed around the league with a sputtering career, had the immense cojones to pitch for Philly. Philly loves an underdog an Lige filled the mold for today's celebration. HE was the closer who only lost one big game all season (The All-Star game which gave Tampa the Home field advantage in the Series).

Today, I am a man at peace and, like squinney, all full of myself. I have a winning team to embrace.

Im wearing my
"WHY CANT US?" shirt and my "PHINALLY" ballcap. I look like a total dweeb, but 'EY WHADDYA LOOKIN AT YA DOUCHE BAG?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,924 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:30 am
@farmerman,
the rays folded like a cheap beach chair... Mr. Green
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:33 am
@farmerman,
I remember the Plillies.
The 1970s Phillies were future Hall of Famers Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton . They were Greg Luzinski, Garry Maddox, Larry Bowa, Bob Boone and Tug McGraw. They were Bake McBride, Dave Cash, Jay Johnstone, Dick Ruthven and many others who became household names in Philadelphia.
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:34 am
I was surprised how easy the Phillies had their way with the RAys. I was sure that these Florida Exapnsion teams were "Teams of Destiny" when they get a chance.

Did you notice how Lige's one basic pitch fooled almost everybody? (till lastnight when several nail biter out field pops looked better than they were)

PS, today at the CAthedral Archbishop will do an official exorcism of Mitch Williams
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:40 am
@alex240101,
i think getting pete rose was what finally put them over the hump...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:48 am
@alex240101,
To Philly's credit. The post game celebration was not a melee . The fans were passionate but polite this year. Philly has always had a reputation of being the "Huns" of any sports league town. In the past, wed celebrated with riots and destruction. I think the town has grown up considerably.
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:49 am
Yeh, in those days the acquisitions of McGraw and Rose became team nuclei.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:50 am
@farmerman,
so santa has a snow-ball's chance this winter?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:52 am
@farmerman,
They threw a World Series and nobody came.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:07 am
Yeap, watched nearly every phillie game over this past season on MLB BASEBALL, and taped the playoffs. i thought that they were the best team in baseball after sept 11, going 24-5 from that mark and expected carlos ruiz to win MVP with his outstanding catching, pitch calling behind the plate, and hitting during the series.

already ordered my world series tee and am sending another to my air force brother in the middle east, we used to go to the Vet together when we were kids

the best blog site for phillie baseball is Beerleaguer @ http://beerleaguer.typepad.com/

first phillie game i ever saw was at connie mack stadium on june21, 1962 with art mahaffey shuttting out the cubs 3-0 and bobby wine , of all people actually hit a double off the left field wall.

congrats to the team, they were fun to watch this year. hope they sign burrell in the off season, and for god's sake up hamel's 08 salary to a little more than $500k
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:32 am
Kuvasz, The official city slogan for this season was
"WHY CANT US?". Youd do good to order one of those Tees also.

I see that the AM League "star teams" like the Yankees or that team from Boston are writing articles about how they will benefit from the poor AL teams who will release their players to meet payroll. It must really be **** to be from NY or Boston and realize that they are just two other cities with losing franchises.

Philly has lived with being a doormat for so long and weve supported our teams (even hate is a form opf support)

At least Philly fans have a pulse.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:45 am
@farmerman,
Dose iggles still zuck.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:47 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I see that the AM League "star teams" like the Yankees or that team from Boston are writing articles about how they will benefit from the poor AL teams who will release their players to meet payroll. It must really be **** to be from NY or Boston and realize that they are just two other cities with losing franchises.
these so-called "star teams" strive to make the playoffs every year.
their fans demand nothing less, and the teams ante up for the best talent out there...
Quote:
Philly has lived with being a doormat for so long and weve supported our teams (even hate is a form opf support)
i grew up rooting for the hapless mets, so i can relate to the whole doormat thing...

but don't try to make it sound like philly is a small-market team.
according to this source, you guys are the 4th largest market in the US...

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:55 am
@Region Philbis,
yes but we enjoy our status as a city of insular neighborhoods
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 11:32 am
@Region Philbis,
With only a single team in each professional bb or fb, not so for New York, LA , or Chicago, (only fb), at 1, 2, 3.

Philadelphia lost the A's in '54 and until then the town had been an American league team since before WWI. I don't know anyone over 70, including my parents, and aunts, and uncles, who was a Phillie fan before the A's left town. In fact, the Philadelphia A's won pennants in 1902, 1905, 1910, 1911, 1913, 1914, 1929, 1930,and 1931. The teams of 1910, 1911, 1913, 1929,and 1930, won the World Series. The Athletics could easily be proclaimed "Philadelphia's Most Successful Sports Franchise".

So, the Phillies became Philadelphia's "team" approximately at the same time the Dodgers and Giants became LA's and San Francisco's teams.
farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 03:08 pm
@kuvasz,
I see that Chase Utley said it all in his speech. I was stuck in Philly traffic so I didnt see his speech but I unnerstand that it was aired on National TV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwOroBj13eE&amp;feature=related

HEE HEE, were all just a bunch of little kids who wanna drop the F Bomb in polite company.
kuvasz

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:15 pm
@farmerman,
f'ing right. and recall, the same expletive he used when booed during the home run derby at the all star game
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:22 pm
@farmerman,
(he shoulda said "world friggin' champions"...)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:31 pm
That word does not exist in the Philly lexicon
0 Replies