A little moment from the life of Liz Taylor

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 07:48 pm
From the wonderful tome, "Hellraisers":

Eddie Fisher called home to check on wife Elizabeth Taylor, he was astonished to find Richard Burton answering the phone. When he demanded to know what Burton was doing at his house, the Welsh lothario told him simply, “I’m ******* your wife.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 13,073 • Replies: 40
No top replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 09:24 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
That's pretty low-down.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 01:25 am
It is only marginally better than Liz phoning Eddie and having Richard answer the phone.....

I guess.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:47 am
@Mr Stillwater,
This requires our attention for what reason ?
spendius

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 04:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
This requires our attention for what reason ?

To remind us of the female nature when it has the power of choice.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 11:09 am
@eoe,
Quote:
That's pretty low-down.

In some ways, I give him credit for being so brutally honest. You can't slap him with hypocracy. Most people'd just sneak around on one another.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 11:16 am
From what I read it was more a BIG moment in the life of our heroine.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 06:53 pm
It is of some 'prurient' interest to us. Elizabeth Taylor has managed to be married eight times, twice to Richard:
Quote:
Conrad "Nicky" Hilton (May 6, 1950 " January 29, 1951) (divorced)
Michael Wilding (February 21, 1952 " January 26, 1957) (divorced)
Michael Todd (February 2, 1957 " March 22, 1958) (widowed)
Eddie Fisher (May 12, 1959 " March 6, 1964) (divorced)
Richard Burton (March 15, 1964 " June 26, 1974) (divorced)
Richard Burton (again) (October 10, 1975 " July 29, 1976) (divorced)
John Warner (December 4, 1976 " November 7, 1982) (divorced)
Larry Fortensky (October 6, 1991 " October 31, 1996) (divorced)

Quite possibly she had just forgotten who her husband was at time time. I seem to remember some issues with drug taking as well....
Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:54 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Yeah, she had a drug phase too. I was looking for, but cannot find, the cover to a book with her on the cover called American Babylon, which came out around the time she was married to John Warner.

Anyway, she's another for the role of supreme gay male icon. I read an article (academic) a while ago that argued her beauty was so astounding that straight men couldn't handle it.

Here are two pics to illustrate: Young and a babe with ease:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/fashionfanatik32/Elizabeth-Taylor.jpg

Older and not accepting process gracefully:
http://galleries.lycos.co.uk/d/2826-3/Liz+Taylor.jpg

chai2

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:37 am
@Cliff Hanger,
I read a bio "written" by her a while back.

There was the good, and the bad.

In her first starring role in National Velvet, she was 12 years old. She had a bad fall from the horse during the production of the film, and suffered back problems from it the rest of her life. Bad break (no pun intended) for just a kid.

Anyway, after forcing myself to read the entire book, I came away with the impression she was out of touch with reality. She was quite selfish and what I think of as shallow. However, I really couldn't fault her 100%, as while she was growing up, she lived in this world of fantasy. Being told every day how important you are to the world apparantly makes you believe it.

I loved her in Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf.
Mame

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:59 am
@chai2,
I loved her in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Paul Newman. That's when I realized she really could act. Always surprises me how such superficial people can be that good at something.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:06 am
@Cliff Hanger,
Quote:

argued her beauty was so astounding that straight men couldn't handle it[??].

So what ?
We are supposed to turn n flee the scene ?
Has that ever happened ?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:17 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Always surprises me how such superficial people can be that good at something.

When you've been doing it all your life, you'd better be good at it.

Like so many entertainers who start out as children, they're raised to believe that they are special, better than others and not restricted by the usual social mores and customs of the rest of us. It isn't their fault. It's the fault of the adults who brought them up believing such nonsense about themselves.

But many everyday people are raised this way too and suffer from the same delusions. We all know at least one, right?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:26 am
@eoe,
Quote:

But many everyday people are raised this way too and
suffer from the same delusions.
We all know at least one, right?

A friend of mine is a famous psychiatrist,
who told me: "David, anyone who u think is NOT crazy
is just someone who u don 't know well enuf."

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:31 pm
@eoe,
This is true eoe.

I wasn't trying to say she was a bad person, more that she was a product of her upbringing. Her world revolved around her, and although she could obviously be kind and generous, I'm not sure she, at least when certain events were going on, realized how much hurt she was causing.

For instance, the Debbie Reynolds, Eddie Fisher thing. I can't imagine how Ms. Reynold felt being humiliated like that in public. Of course I can't remember her exact quotes, but it was like she said she knew she hurt her friend, but, hey, I wanted your husband, what else was I to do? The ends justified the means.

I just realized a movie character I was watching the other day reminds me of her as to what I mean as far as being wrapped up in her own little world...

I was watching the remake of "Imitation of Life"

In one scene, Annie, who is black is the maid and longtime "friend" of Miss Meredith, a broadway star, is white are talking. Annie's health is failing, and she's taken to her bed. There's been a long term issue with Annie's daughter, Sarah Jane, who is passing for white, and denying her mother. Annie's heart is breaking, and she laments over the fact her daughter won't see her.

Ms. Meredith, who's own daughter, Susie, is falling in love with Ms. Meredith long time friend, and sometimes boyfriend, is a problem too. Truth is, you really can't blame Susie for feeling she had the right to fall in love with him, since the mother has never made any sort of commitment to him for more than 10 years, most of the time, he isn't even around.

When Annie gives a very touching speach about how much she loves Sarah Jane, and would do anything to bring her back, Merediths response is, "Oh Annie, I'm talking about a REAL problem here, what am I going to do about Susie.

Anyway, that's what some of the stuff Ms. Taylor said in her book felt like.
eoe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:48 pm
@chai2,
I'm sure. Nothing is more important to people like this than their wants and desires. And because of their "importance", they feel that this is the way the whole world should behave, revolving completely and totally around them.

I've just severed ties, after over twenty years, with a woman just like this. I cannot tell you how freeing it is, not having to listen to her bullshit or try and reason with her about indulging in such a selfish mindset. There was just no getting through to her and eventually, I realized long ago that this was how she was raised, with this illusion of such importance. Realizing that did not make her any less a pain in the ass, though. Entertaining but a pain all the same. Smile
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:54 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:
Eddie Fisher called home to check on wife Elizabeth Taylor, he was astonished to find Richard Burton answering the phone. When he demanded to know what Burton was doing at his house, the Welsh lothario told him simply, “I’m ******* your wife.”

Eddie Fisher: "Who said you could f**k my wife?"
Richard Burton: "Everybody"
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:56 pm
I've always wondered how Elizabeth Taylor and Debbie Reynolds were ever able to get passed that ugly episode in their friendship. At least Elizabeth could claim insanity behind the sudden death of her husband but what was Eddie's excuse? He took advantage of a heartbroken young widow and disregarded his beautiful young wife and two toddlers at home, so the very public affair with Richard Burton was just what he deserved. World-wide shame and humiliation. Unfortunately, Richard Burton was married at the time as well. Right? My guess is, his wife didn't deserve that.
chai2

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:45 pm
@eoe,
The rich are different Rolling Eyes

you know the rest of that line.
spendius

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:35 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
The rich are different

That's for sure. They have so many choices they never know what they really ought to be doing.
0 Replies